Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Where people fall off cliffs

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
      > Yeah, but it makes the fall so much more pleasant.

      That's funny, Jack.

      > they get in over their heads and sometimes die from the lesson.

      I think that's exactly it, Ron. The "falls off cliffs" do not happen
      when people hike on the trails in the Tatras. The trails are quite
      safe. About the only accidents on the trails are twisted ankles and
      heart failures (but not at a higher rate than they happen anywhere).

      The casualties of the cliff falls are mainly dedicated, trained
      climbers (with ropes, etc.), plus a few casual hikers who decide to
      go off the trail and either try climbing for fun or begin to descend
      down a slope that appears to be a sloping meadow, but end up in
      difficult terrain.

      The "professional climbers" are almost all the victims. The casual
      hikers usually stay put before they cannot hold on any more, call for
      help, and are rescued. The climbers make "professional" mistakes,
      get hit by falling rocks, are swept down by waterfalls resulting from
      sudden downpours, etc.

      Martin
    • sandman6294
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Matchett <wmatchett@c...> wrote:

        > I once read of someone huffing and puffing up a trail in the Tatras
        and
        > having a group of Czechs run by him, one carrying a keg of beer.
        > Drinking doesn't help keep one steady. Julia M.

        There could be several explanations for this enigma. Perhaps the keg
        was a handicap for the fastest runner. A more likely solution to the
        enigma would be that the runners were a keg relay team for the express
        delivery of beer from the local brewery to a horska' chata. After all,
        nothing was said about the consumption of beer on the trail. ;-)

        RU
      • Scott T. Mikusko
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
          On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, sandman6294 wrote:

          > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Matchett <wmatchett@c...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I once read of someone huffing and puffing up a trail in the Tatras
          > and
          > > having a group of Czechs run by him, one carrying a keg of beer.
          > > Drinking doesn't help keep one steady. Julia M.
          >
          > There could be several explanations for this enigma. Perhaps the keg
          > was a handicap for the fastest runner. A more likely solution to the
          > enigma would be that the runners were a keg relay team for the express
          > delivery of beer from the local brewery to a horska' chata. After all,
          > nothing was said about the consumption of beer on the trail. ;-)

          The Pony Keg Express?

          ARGH!!! To boli ma! :)

          -S
        • sandman6294
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Scott T. Mikusko"
            <guerilla@s...> wrote:
            > On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, sandman6294 wrote:
            >
            > > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Matchett <wmatchett@c...>
            wrote:

            > > > I once read of someone huffing and puffing up a trail in the
            Tatras
            > > and
            > > > having a group of Czechs run by him, one carrying a keg of beer.
            > > > Drinking doesn't help keep one steady. Julia M.
            > >
            > > There could be several explanations for this enigma. Perhaps the
            keg
            > > was a handicap for the fastest runner. A more likely solution to
            the
            > > enigma would be that the runners were a keg relay team for the
            express
            > > delivery of beer from the local brewery to a horska' chata.
            After all,
            > > nothing was said about the consumption of beer on the trail. ;-)
            > >

            > The Pony Keg Express?
            >
            > ARGH!!! To boli ma! :)
            >
            > -S

            On the other hand, perhaps it would behoove us as good citizens to
            notify the locals:

            "Police Search For Pony Keg Robbers
            WCPO.com is 9News, Cincinnati news"

            RU
          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
              Some people know just enough to get themselves killed, like the half-dozen or so who die on our local volcanos every year. I remember seeing a television show years and years ago, perhaps in the mid-80's. It was about people in then-Czechoslovakia using the hiking trails in the Tatry. You saw this endless line of people in regular clothes, ladies in dresses and so on, strolling sedately on the paths.

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...>
                wrote:
                > ......It was about people in then-Czechoslovakia using the hiking
                trails in the Tatry. You saw this endless line of people in regular
                clothes, ladies in dresses and so on, strolling sedately on the paths.

                You can find that type of trail in our parks also but of course the
                folks are in more casual clothing. The following is an excerpt from:

                http://www.vysoketatry.org/guide/

                "Experienced visitors in good condition may wish to attempt the more
                demanding peaks, or a more direct approach to peaks which are
                accessible by standard footpaths.

                Badge-carrying, certified mountain guides are required for these
                exacting and rewarding experiences."

                There is also a link to hiking maps for the Tatras at this website.

                RU