Re: [Slovak-World] After Festival Party

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
      I guess it's pretty obvious I'm reading my e-mail in
      reverse order -- cancel that Saturday comment, but
      laugh at the Canadian Border Patrol, and I meant that
      thanks to Bruce too.

      Caye

      http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/app/Retail/storeloc.asp?plcbNav=|32369|

      > You can't easily buy a six pack of beer in
      > Pennsylvania, beer is sold through "distributors" in
      > case lots. You can usually buy a six pack in a bar
      > at
      > a substantial mark up.
      >
      > Dr. "Q"
      >
      > --- Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Thanks Q -- walking 1 mile is nothing to this city
      > > girl. Actually, neither is parking 30 miles out.
      > >
      > > Looking forward to seeing you all again next
      > month.
      > >

      > > Caye
      > >

      > > --- "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Forgive me for butting in:
      > > >
      > > > Bruce lives about 1 mile or so from the
      > > University.
      > > > We talked about having a get together last year
      > > > after
      > > > the festival. We have enough room to have it
      > > > including about 1/2 acre of yard, but we live
      > > nearly
      > > > 30 miles south of the University. So Bruce
      > > > suggested
      > > > his home.
      > > >
      > > > Dr. "Q"

      > the
      > > > Fest
      > --
      > > so
      > > > Oakland
      > > > cab
      > > the

      > > > People

      > > Saturday
      > > > night,
      > > are
      > > and
      > up
      > > > wants
      > > idea
      > > > of
      > arrangements
      > > > as

      > __________________________________
      > http://mail.yahoo.com

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
        Oh, Helen, if you'd like to dare me to wear that
        Pierogi Festival Busia outfit I collected at your
        suggestions, I'll bring it and wear it to Bruce's
        event.

        May as well get some use out of it, and it's comfy.

        Unless everyone is already preparing Halushki, I'll
        make up a batch and freeze it -- then I can reheat it
        at Bruce's. Also a cool trick, instead of noodles,
        try pierogi [ok, pierohi for those of you east of the
        midwest] with the cabbage/onions -- pretty darn good
        eats.

        Caye

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Gregory J Kopchak
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
          For anyone thinking of going to the Pittsburgh Festival,
          just seeing some of the offerings by Dan Kisha could
          be worth the trip.

          Over the years, Dan has imported some spectacular Slovak
          glass to America.

          This year for Christmas, give a future heirloom rather than
          a gift.

          Greg Kopchak
          It's All Relative
        • gergely
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
            Not east of the midwest, more like south of the Dukla Pass.

            Jack Gergely

            --- "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:

            > I think it is closer to 1.5 miles, but it is a nice
            > walk through the Carnegie Mellon campus and you can
            > see part of Schenley park. But the party is
            > scheduled
            > for Nov 5 - Saturda, the festival is on Sunday.
            >
            > Judy and I plan on being there. We'll probably
            > bring
            > a "cucumber salad" and some beverages.
            >
            > For those not familiar with the Commonwealth of
            > Pennsylvania's Liquor Control Board = monopoly.
            > Wine
            > and spirits are sold in their stores. The stores
            > are
            > open about 9 to 8 Monday - Saturday, some are open
            > on
            > Sunday. The hours vary among locations. A few
            > grocery stores have a Liquor Control Board store in
            > them, but they are not easy to find.

            http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/app/Retail/storeloc.asp?plcbNav=|32369|

            > You can't easily buy a six pack of beer in
            > Pennsylvania, beer is sold through "distributors" in
            > case lots. You can usually buy a six pack in a bar
            > at
            > a substantial mark up.
            >
            > Dr. "Q"
            >
            > --- Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Thanks Q -- walking 1 mile is nothing to this city
            > > girl. Actually, neither is parking 30 miles out.
            > >
            > > Looking forward to seeing you all again next
            > month.
            > >

            > > Caye
            > >

            > > --- "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Forgive me for butting in:
            > > >
            > > > Bruce lives about 1 mile or so from the
            > > University.
            > > > We talked about having a get together last year
            > > > after
            > > > the festival. We have enough room to have it
            > > > including about 1/2 acre of yard, but we live
            > > nearly
            > > > 30 miles south of the University. So Bruce
            > > > suggested
            > > > his home.
            > > >
            > > > Dr. "Q"

            > the
            > > > Fest
            > --
            > > so
            > > > Oakland
            > > > cab
            > > the

            > > > People

            > > Saturday
            > > > night,
            > > are
            > > and
            > up
            > > > wants
            > > idea
            > > > of
            > arrangements
            > > > as

            > __________________________________
            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Bruce Bagin
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
              Saturday at 6 is that clear? How about old chicago dark? or maybe
              Berghoffs
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                thanks Joe the text is correct the heading is unfortunate I just picked the
                thread. I understand the Steelers are playing on sunday .
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                  At 11:33 PM 10/3/2005 -0400, you wrote:
                  >Saturday at 6 is that clear? How about old chicago dark? or maybe
                  >Berghoffs

                  Has anyone heard what time Helene's party is on Sat night? Will we end up
                  with conflicting times?

                  Julie Michutka
                  jmm@...
                • Bruce Bagin
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                    that's 6:00 PM folks any earlier and we would still be cleaning up.
                    >>Saturday at 6 is that clear? How about old chicago dark? or maybe
                    >>Berghoffs
                    >
                    > Has anyone heard what time Helene's party is on Sat night? Will we end up
                    > with conflicting times?
                    >
                    > Julie Michutka
                    > jmm@...
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • helene cincebeaux
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                      Hi Everyone - missed you all this summer -Slovakia was
                      magnificent as usual! I found a whopping 2,700 plus
                      Slovak World messages had accumulated while I was
                      gone. Looks like you had a lot to talk about.

                      Wanted everyone to know you are invited to a Slovak
                      World/Treasures Tours Gathering - Sat., Nov. 5, at
                      6:00 PM, at Bruce and Rose Cathleen Bagin’s, 5620
                      Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh near the University of
                      Pittsburgh where the Slovak Festival will be held the
                      next day (Sunday Nov. 6) from 12 noon to 5 pm. The
                      Bagins are so wonderful to offer to host us!

                      Pat Rabich has been researching hotel possibilities
                      and came up the Comfort Inn and will be posting the
                      info on Slovak World.

                      If you can join us please bring your beverage and a
                      dish to pass or a goodie - something to share. Let
                      Helene know if you can come - will help us in planning
                      - helenezx@... or 585.342.9383. I already have the
                      list of possible attendees from a previous message.

                      It’s wonderful that Julie Michutka is coming from
                      Massachusetts, and Zuzka Durisek is hoping to come
                      from Kentucky. Darinka Kohl is planning to come from
                      Wisconsin, Helen Ruatti from California is hoping too
                      - and lots of our PA and Ohio friends - should be fun!

                      Directions to the Bagins: 5620 Forbes Avenue, take the
                      Squirrel Hill exit. to
                      Murrary avenue LEFT onto Murray (first traffic light)
                      then straight to Forbes
                      Avenue (about 5 or 6 traffic lights (Coldstone
                      Creamery is on your right.)

                      Turn Left at that intersection. as you get to the
                      middle of the long block start looking for parking. If
                      you are lost call 412.421.9388

                      love that Bill Brna is making halusky -

                      helene

                      __________________________________
                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Caye Caswick
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                        Berghoff's, I'm drooling -- that's a very cool place!

                        Not a bad brew either -- however it's Old Style for me
                        or pretty much nothing -- when I say loyal, I really
                        mean it, the Canadians wanted to know what I had
                        against Moleson -- had to tell them dunno, not
                        shopping.

                        Caye

                        === message truncated ===

                        __________________________________
                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Bruce Bagin
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                          Being as I am from Milwaukee orginally and came to the burgh from a job in Chicago I must say that I am familiar with both and thee was none better then Peter Hand;s OldChicago Dark, with Berghoff's a distant second. we used to drink special export in Milwaukee.

                          --- Bruce Bagin <bagin@...> wrote:

                          > Saturday at 6 is that clear?  How about old chicago
                          > dark?  or maybe
                          > Berghoffs

                          *  Visit your group "Slovak-World" on the web.

                          *  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                          *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                          PeoplePC Online
                          A better way to Internet
                          http://www.peoplepc.com
                        • Dr. Joe Q
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                            We'll be there with brooms, mops, and maybe shovels!!

                            Dr. "Q"

                            --- Bruce Bagin <bagin@...> wrote:

                            > that's 6:00 PM folks any earlier and we would still
                            > be cleaning up.

                            __________________________________
                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Dr. Joe Q
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                              I know right where Berghoff's is located along with
                              the Palmer House, the Russian Tea Room, etc. Down on
                              the loop.

                              Dr. "Q"

                              --- Bruce Bagin <bagin@...> wrote:

                              > Being as I am from Milwaukee orginally and came to
                              > the burgh from a job in Chicago I must say that I am
                              > familiar with both and thee was none better then
                              > Peter Hand;s OldChicago Dark, with Berghoff's a
                              > distant second. we used to drink special export in
                              > Milwaukee.

                              __________________________________
                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • amiak27
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 4, 2005
                                I am sorry to miss what sounds like a heck of a party, and you
                                should be sad to miss the smoked salmon and Alaska Amber I would
                                bring down to compliment the haluski. The Alaska Amber is brewed
                                from an old Czech recipe from the Juneau gold rush days... yea,
                                those Czechs find their way all over!

                                Enjoy -
                                Ron
                                PS just had to add haluski to my computer dictionary then looked it
                                up in my Slovnik to see it was spelled halusky or rather
                                halušky....

                              • Bruce Bagin
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 5, 2005
                                  isn't there a road from the 49th state to Pittsburgh? If there is there is no reason to miss the party
                                  I am sorry to miss what sounds like a heck of a party, and you
                                  should be sad to miss the smoked salmon and Alaska Amber I would
                                  bring down to compliment the haluski. The Alaska Amber is brewed
                                  from an old Czech recipe from the Juneau gold rush days... yea,
                                  those Czechs find their way all over!

                                  Enjoy -
                                  Ron
                                  PS just had to add haluski to my computer dictionary then looked it
                                  up in my Slovnik to see it was spelled halusky or rather
                                  halusky....

                                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Bagin <bagin@p...> wrote:
                                  > Being as I am from Milwaukee orginally and came to the burgh from
                                  a job in Chicago I must say that I am familiar with both and thee
                                  was none better then Peter Hand;s OldChicago Dark, with Berghoff's a
                                  distant second. we used to drink special export in Milwaukee.

                                  Hotel slovakia Slovakia phone Slovakia

                                • Caye Caswick
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 5, 2005
                                    I think this is the party Helen usually has -- am I
                                    correct?

                                    I also think Bill Brna will be trying to get us a
                                    reservation at a local restaurant for after the
                                    Festival on Sunday -- and was waiting on how many
                                    people wanted to gather so he knew the group size,
                                    again, correct me if I'm all mixed up.

                                    The Helen Group in the past were Tour Participants;
                                    but seems as if they are opening it up to others this
                                    time around and, instead of at Red Roof Inn, it's
                                    going to be at Bruce's Squirrel Hill home.

                                    Caye

                                    --- "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

                                    > At 11:33 PM 10/3/2005 -0400, you wrote:
                                    > >Saturday at 6 is that clear? How about old chicago
                                    > dark? or maybe
                                    > >Berghoffs
                                    >
                                    > Has anyone heard what time Helene's party is on Sat
                                    > night? Will we end up
                                    > with conflicting times?
                                    >
                                    > Julie Michutka
                                    > jmm@...

                                    __________________________________
                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • Caye Caswick
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 5, 2005
                                      Bruce is right -- Ron, if you leave now, the Al-Can
                                      will get you there just in the nick-o-time!

                                      ;-P
                                      Caye

                                      === message truncated ===

                                      __________________________________
                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    • Caye Caswick
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 5, 2005
                                        I'm so close right now I could probably touch all
                                        three -- if anyone's ever in The Loop, let me know --
                                        I'll join you for a tour of the PHouse, a Berghoff
                                        beer and dinner at RTRoom. Of course, we'd have to
                                        discuss our Slovak heritage -- wouldn't want to veer
                                        off-topic!

                                        ;-P
                                        Caye

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com