Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Where people fall off cliffs

  • David
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
      Man, that had to be one strong Czech to run up a trail in the Tatras
      while carrying a keg of beer. I guess they don't have dogs to carry a
      flask of booze? I guess if you are going to die, you might as well
      die happy! (Joke) Every year, right here in the Delaware Water Gap,
      (PA and NJ State borders) people die each year while climbing these
      hills/mountains or whatever.
      The Happy Wonderer

      At 09:09 AM 10/3/2005, you wrote:

      >I once read of someone huffing and puffing up a trail in the Tatras and
      >having a group of Czechs run by him, one carrying a keg of beer.
      >Drinking doesn't help keep one steady. Julia M.
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • gergely
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
        Yeah, but it makes the fall so much more pleasant.

        We don't have many death from people falling off cliffs here in cosatel
        Virginia. But we have our share of people not making it back from boating
        excursions in bad weather or non-swimmers playing in rip tides. Probably
        not many deaths like that in the Tatras. Guess it all evens out in the end.

        Jack Gergely

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
          > Yeah, but it makes the fall so much more pleasant.

          That's funny, Jack.

          > they get in over their heads and sometimes die from the lesson.

          I think that's exactly it, Ron. The "falls off cliffs" do not happen
          when people hike on the trails in the Tatras. The trails are quite
          safe. About the only accidents on the trails are twisted ankles and
          heart failures (but not at a higher rate than they happen anywhere).

          The casualties of the cliff falls are mainly dedicated, trained
          climbers (with ropes, etc.), plus a few casual hikers who decide to
          go off the trail and either try climbing for fun or begin to descend
          down a slope that appears to be a sloping meadow, but end up in
          difficult terrain.

          The "professional climbers" are almost all the victims. The casual
          hikers usually stay put before they cannot hold on any more, call for
          help, and are rescued. The climbers make "professional" mistakes,
          get hit by falling rocks, are swept down by waterfalls resulting from
          sudden downpours, etc.

          Martin
        • sandman6294
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Matchett <wmatchett@c...> wrote:

            > I once read of someone huffing and puffing up a trail in the Tatras
            and
            > having a group of Czechs run by him, one carrying a keg of beer.
            > Drinking doesn't help keep one steady. Julia M.

            There could be several explanations for this enigma. Perhaps the keg
            was a handicap for the fastest runner. A more likely solution to the
            enigma would be that the runners were a keg relay team for the express
            delivery of beer from the local brewery to a horska' chata. After all,
            nothing was said about the consumption of beer on the trail. ;-)

            RU
          • Scott T. Mikusko
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
              On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, sandman6294 wrote:

              > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Matchett <wmatchett@c...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I once read of someone huffing and puffing up a trail in the Tatras
              > and
              > > having a group of Czechs run by him, one carrying a keg of beer.
              > > Drinking doesn't help keep one steady. Julia M.
              >
              > There could be several explanations for this enigma. Perhaps the keg
              > was a handicap for the fastest runner. A more likely solution to the
              > enigma would be that the runners were a keg relay team for the express
              > delivery of beer from the local brewery to a horska' chata. After all,
              > nothing was said about the consumption of beer on the trail. ;-)

              The Pony Keg Express?

              ARGH!!! To boli ma! :)

              -S
            • sandman6294
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Scott T. Mikusko"
                <guerilla@s...> wrote:
                > On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, sandman6294 wrote:
                >
                > > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Matchett <wmatchett@c...>
                wrote:

                > > > I once read of someone huffing and puffing up a trail in the
                Tatras
                > > and
                > > > having a group of Czechs run by him, one carrying a keg of beer.
                > > > Drinking doesn't help keep one steady. Julia M.
                > >
                > > There could be several explanations for this enigma. Perhaps the
                keg
                > > was a handicap for the fastest runner. A more likely solution to
                the
                > > enigma would be that the runners were a keg relay team for the
                express
                > > delivery of beer from the local brewery to a horska' chata.
                After all,
                > > nothing was said about the consumption of beer on the trail. ;-)
                > >

                > The Pony Keg Express?
                >
                > ARGH!!! To boli ma! :)
                >
                > -S

                On the other hand, perhaps it would behoove us as good citizens to
                notify the locals:

                "Police Search For Pony Keg Robbers
                WCPO.com is 9News, Cincinnati news"

                RU
              • Andrea Vangor
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Some people know just enough to get themselves killed, like the half-dozen or so who die on our local volcanos every year. I remember seeing a television show years and years ago, perhaps in the mid-80's. It was about people in then-Czechoslovakia using the hiking trails in the Tatry. You saw this endless line of people in regular clothes, ladies in dresses and so on, strolling sedately on the paths.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...>
                    wrote:
                    > ......It was about people in then-Czechoslovakia using the hiking
                    trails in the Tatry. You saw this endless line of people in regular
                    clothes, ladies in dresses and so on, strolling sedately on the paths.

                    You can find that type of trail in our parks also but of course the
                    folks are in more casual clothing. The following is an excerpt from:

                    http://www.vysoketatry.org/guide/

                    "Experienced visitors in good condition may wish to attempt the more
                    demanding peaks, or a more direct approach to peaks which are
                    accessible by standard footpaths.

                    Badge-carrying, certified mountain guides are required for these
                    exacting and rewarding experiences."

                    There is also a link to hiking maps for the Tatras at this website.

                    RU