Re: Where people fall off cliffs

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
      In addition to specifics Martin can offer, I can add that the High
      Tatras have a reputation for lots of mountaineering accidents per
      capita. They are challenging mountains (I guess any mountains with
      a deadly reputation are by definition challenging) with a lot of
      semi-experienced people from flat and hilly land going off on hikes
      in the rocks. There is plenty of opportunity for simple mistakes,
      and there is no forgiveness built into the mountains. So a simple
      mistake can easily prove deadly.

      In Alaska European mountain climbers can be troublesome for their
      assuming that European mountains are as challenging as mountains in
      Alaska. It is the same as in the Tatras - they get in over their
      heads and sometimes die from the lesson.

      Make no mistake, there are plenty of highly qualified Euro
      mountaineers, but there are a lot of duffers out there as well, Euro
      and American. And some get killed. The Tatras draw a lot of
      people. The Alps are a long way off, the Tatras are a lot cheaper,
      and while the alpine Tatras (as opposed to rounded Carpathians,
      similar to the Appalachians) while the alpine mountains are compact
      and you are never too far from civilization, bad judgment and a
      false step can kill quickly.

      Ron

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
      wrote:
      > These people in Slovakia, are we sure they fell or were they
      > pushed?
      > Colin
      >
      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba
      > <votrubam@y...> wrote:
      > > Does anyone keep track of how many people die as a result of
      > falling
      > > off a cliff or a mountain rock face? Yes, and Slovakia has the
      > 6th
      > > highest per-capita rate in the world. It's outranked by 4 other
      > > mountainous countries and by the island of Malta with craggy
      > > coastlines. While people die falling off cliffs 6x more often
      in
      > > Slovakia than in the US, about 50% fewer Slovaks (on a
      > per-capita
      > > basis) are murdered each year than Americans.
      > >

      > > Martin
      > >
      > > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • David
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
        Man, that had to be one strong Czech to run up a trail in the Tatras
        while carrying a keg of beer. I guess they don't have dogs to carry a
        flask of booze? I guess if you are going to die, you might as well
        die happy! (Joke) Every year, right here in the Delaware Water Gap,
        (PA and NJ State borders) people die each year while climbing these
        hills/mountains or whatever.
        The Happy Wonderer

        At 09:09 AM 10/3/2005, you wrote:

        >I once read of someone huffing and puffing up a trail in the Tatras and
        >having a group of Czechs run by him, one carrying a keg of beer.
        >Drinking doesn't help keep one steady. Julia M.
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Matchett
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
          I once read of someone huffing and puffing up a trail in the Tatras and
          having a group of Czechs run by him, one carrying a keg of beer.
          Drinking doesn't help keep one steady. Julia M.
        • gergely
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
            Yeah, but it makes the fall so much more pleasant.

            We don't have many death from people falling off cliffs here in cosatel
            Virginia. But we have our share of people not making it back from boating
            excursions in bad weather or non-swimmers playing in rip tides. Probably
            not many deaths like that in the Tatras. Guess it all evens out in the end.

            Jack Gergely

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
              > Yeah, but it makes the fall so much more pleasant.

              That's funny, Jack.

              > they get in over their heads and sometimes die from the lesson.

              I think that's exactly it, Ron. The "falls off cliffs" do not happen
              when people hike on the trails in the Tatras. The trails are quite
              safe. About the only accidents on the trails are twisted ankles and
              heart failures (but not at a higher rate than they happen anywhere).

              The casualties of the cliff falls are mainly dedicated, trained
              climbers (with ropes, etc.), plus a few casual hikers who decide to
              go off the trail and either try climbing for fun or begin to descend
              down a slope that appears to be a sloping meadow, but end up in
              difficult terrain.

              The "professional climbers" are almost all the victims. The casual
              hikers usually stay put before they cannot hold on any more, call for
              help, and are rescued. The climbers make "professional" mistakes,
              get hit by falling rocks, are swept down by waterfalls resulting from
              sudden downpours, etc.

              Martin
            • sandman6294
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Matchett <wmatchett@c...> wrote:

                > I once read of someone huffing and puffing up a trail in the Tatras
                and
                > having a group of Czechs run by him, one carrying a keg of beer.
                > Drinking doesn't help keep one steady. Julia M.

                There could be several explanations for this enigma. Perhaps the keg
                was a handicap for the fastest runner. A more likely solution to the
                enigma would be that the runners were a keg relay team for the express
                delivery of beer from the local brewery to a horska' chata. After all,
                nothing was said about the consumption of beer on the trail. ;-)

                RU
              • Scott T. Mikusko
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
                  On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, sandman6294 wrote:

                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Matchett <wmatchett@c...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I once read of someone huffing and puffing up a trail in the Tatras
                  > and
                  > > having a group of Czechs run by him, one carrying a keg of beer.
                  > > Drinking doesn't help keep one steady. Julia M.
                  >
                  > There could be several explanations for this enigma. Perhaps the keg
                  > was a handicap for the fastest runner. A more likely solution to the
                  > enigma would be that the runners were a keg relay team for the express
                  > delivery of beer from the local brewery to a horska' chata. After all,
                  > nothing was said about the consumption of beer on the trail. ;-)

                  The Pony Keg Express?

                  ARGH!!! To boli ma! :)

                  -S
                • sandman6294
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Scott T. Mikusko"
                    <guerilla@s...> wrote:
                    > On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, sandman6294 wrote:
                    >
                    > > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Matchett <wmatchett@c...>
                    wrote:

                    > > > I once read of someone huffing and puffing up a trail in the
                    Tatras
                    > > and
                    > > > having a group of Czechs run by him, one carrying a keg of beer.
                    > > > Drinking doesn't help keep one steady. Julia M.
                    > >
                    > > There could be several explanations for this enigma. Perhaps the
                    keg
                    > > was a handicap for the fastest runner. A more likely solution to
                    the
                    > > enigma would be that the runners were a keg relay team for the
                    express
                    > > delivery of beer from the local brewery to a horska' chata.
                    After all,
                    > > nothing was said about the consumption of beer on the trail. ;-)
                    > >

                    > The Pony Keg Express?
                    >
                    > ARGH!!! To boli ma! :)
                    >
                    > -S

                    On the other hand, perhaps it would behoove us as good citizens to
                    notify the locals:

                    "Police Search For Pony Keg Robbers
                    WCPO.com is 9News, Cincinnati news"

                    RU
                  • Andrea Vangor
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
                      Some people know just enough to get themselves killed, like the half-dozen or so who die on our local volcanos every year. I remember seeing a television show years and years ago, perhaps in the mid-80's. It was about people in then-Czechoslovakia using the hiking trails in the Tatry. You saw this endless line of people in regular clothes, ladies in dresses and so on, strolling sedately on the paths.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...>
                        wrote:
                        > ......It was about people in then-Czechoslovakia using the hiking
                        trails in the Tatry. You saw this endless line of people in regular
                        clothes, ladies in dresses and so on, strolling sedately on the paths.

                        You can find that type of trail in our parks also but of course the
                        folks are in more casual clothing. The following is an excerpt from:

                        http://www.vysoketatry.org/guide/

                        "Experienced visitors in good condition may wish to attempt the more
                        demanding peaks, or a more direct approach to peaks which are
                        accessible by standard footpaths.

                        Badge-carrying, certified mountain guides are required for these
                        exacting and rewarding experiences."

                        There is also a link to hiking maps for the Tatras at this website.

                        RU