Slovakia trip

  • e.gernat@att.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 21 3:48 AM
      Hi to all of you, we are back from our wonderful 6 week trip to Slovakia. It was so wonderful and I tried several ways to send an attachment about the trip but Slovak World will not accept the attachment so if any of you want it please let me know and i will try to send it to your E-mail.

      Also if any of your relatives came from Sebedrazia or the sister village or Cigel,let me know if you want me to look up their names in a wonderful book that Ed received from a cousin. The book is the history of those 2 villages dating from 1245 to present. It is in Slovak but the names can be picked out, As Ed was able to pick out when his Grandfather and several others came to USA long ago. It is so special as is my book from Boleraz. They are treasures to us as well as several other Slovakia Books that we have acquired. We have A Slovak History and the pictures are so beautiful.
      Edie and Ed

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 21 7:20 AM
        Edie:

        I'd love to hear about your travels.

        ccaswick@...

        Thanks and welcome home.

        Caye

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 21 8:59 AM
          that would be an awesome book seems that they kept good records Paul Janosik

        • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 21 1:33 PM
            Forwarding this for Edie and Ed.
            Edie, how frightening that antibiotic reaction must have been!

            Joe A.

            From: "EDITH GERNAT" <e.gernat@...>
            To: "Ed & Edie Gernat" <e.gernat@...>
            Subject: Ahoj
            Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 18:35:18 +0000

            Ahoj

            We have returned from our 6 week adventure in Slovakia. It was
            wonderful as we visited over 20 family homes and over 150 relatives. I
            will give you a brief description of our fun time and you can write or
            call for more info or extra pictures if we have them we will share.

            We arrived in Bratislava on Aug 2nd, and picked up our rental and
            visited Suzanne Minarik for the day . From there we went to Boleraz
            and had a visit with the Pobejecky family then on to Binovce and a
            visit with the Minarik families and also a visit to Bodhance. We
            visited in Dol Krupa and shopped in Trnava.

            Then it was on to Piestany and our 3 week stay at the Thermia Palace
            Spa. What a wonderful treat. There were 4 and 5 treatments every day
            and we were free in the afternoons and evenings for shopping and
            concerts in the park and at the concert hall.We made a side trip to
            Nitra for 1 day. There was one bad day when I had a reaction to an
            antibiotic that I had taken before. I went into shock and convulsions
            and was taken to the hospital, much of that was a blur for me but I do
            remember that they would not discharge me or release my Passport
            unless Ed brought cash to pay, no insurance card, no master card and
            no travel check, only cash. Well after that it was clear spaing again
            for the next 11 days.

            We left Piestany and went to Bratislava to pick up our rental and on
            to Zilina and a brief visit with Jaro and Olga Murar. From there we
            traveled to Circ and were surprised that the Motorest that we were
            going to stay at had no rooms only Pivo and food so on to another
            place at a pension in Circ only to find that it was now only a Disco
            place open on weekends only. We were at the "mercy" of Relatives who
            took us in for 4 nights. During our stay in Circ we visited many
            families and went to the Circ Festival, but it rained otherwise the
            weather was beautiful. We went for ½ day to the Chapel on the hill in
            Circ where Blessed Mother appeared to some children long ago. There is
            special water there and every year there is a pilgrimage there and
            several thousand people attend, we were not able to stay for that as
            we had made plans to attend a village wedding of a family cousin.

            From Circ we traveled to Kezmarok and saw the Master Bonsai Tree
            grower. She had a yard full of those wonderful trees and I bought 2
            for gifts, as we were not allowed to bring any home. We then went to
            Presov and stayed at the beautiful monastery of Sorrowful Mother of
            God and Sister Josifa was our Hostess. All of the Sisters were so
            wonderful and the food was so good.
            We left Presov and traveled to Michalovce where we stayed with John
            and Martha Gernat. On Sat. Sept 3 we went to the wedding in
            Holcikovce. It was the traditional Village wedding with much food,
            dancing etc; we arrived back at 2:30 Am. We were up the next day to
            travel to Kosice and across Slovakia to Sebedrazie and then to
            Prievidza where we stayed with Vlasta Murar Tokarova for 4 nights.
            From her place we visited back to Sebedrazie and the sister village of
            Cigel. We were given a book of the history of those 2 villages dating
            from 1205 to the present with many family names in the book. We also
            saw the Bojnica castle and shopped in Prievidza. We left there and
            spent one day with Suzanna Minarik in Bratislava before our trip home.

            Ed was very upset at the airport in Prague when they took his 2
            bottles of homemade Slivovica, he's sure they had a good party with
            those.

            We had such a wonderful time and visits and we have pictures and
            memorabilia to remember. For more details call or write to us,
            Dovidenia, Edie and Ed

            .
          • Lil Junas
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 21 4:36 PM
              I don't understand why they took his slivovica at the airport? You
              can buy alcohol both in the airport and on the plane to bring to the
              USA. I've never had problems bringing becherovka and other liquors.
              Has anyone else?
              lil

              >Forwarding this for Edie and Ed.
              >Edie, how frightening that antibiotic reaction must have been!
              >
              >Joe A.

              LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College. Waverly, Iowa 50677
              For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide, check
              http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
              "To be nobody but myself."
            • slocrobear
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 21 5:43 PM
                Hi Lil...

                Since it was DOMACINA... HOME-MADE.... of course they would take it away... althought I still have a bottle of DOMACINA that has it's beeswax plug in it... it pays to be able speak Slovak when traveling thru JFK... Customs had some elderly visitors, dressed in their best kroje, and they only spoke Sariscina and no English so guess who got asked to help them thru Customs.... ;-)))

                marko

              • amiak27
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 21 8:24 PM
                  The original comment was "Ed was very upset at the airport in
                  Prague when they took his 2 bottles of homemade Slivovica, he's sure
                  they had a good party with those."

                  So it was taken away in Prague. All I can guess is that the USA may
                  have a pre-screening operation there as they do in some other
                  countries. I don't know why the Czechs would want it, other than to
                  have a good party. THE USA does not consider having home-made booze
                  one of our human rights.

                  After tasting some cherry and pear home distilled products in
                  Germany and Slivovice homemade in the Czech adn Slovak Republics,
                  there is no dount that I would have fought on the side fo the
                  Whiskey Rebellion in our early history.

                  Ron

                • sunkat

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 23 9:06 AM
                      Saying "of course" doesn't apply across the board. Several of my
                      students got through OK with homemade slivovica that was put in
                      drinking water bottles. That was suggested by the Slovak who gave it
                      to them.
                      lil

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 23 9:11 AM
                        Wow, this is so topical . . .

                        One (so far, probably lots more to follow) of the
                        local high schools (upper-class suburb of Chicago)
                        just banned all water bottles -- they were having a
                        problem with drunken students bringing booze in from
                        outside in their water bottles.

                        Caye

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • e.gernat@att.net
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 23 10:48 AM
                          From: sunkat <sunkat@...>
                          > Yes, please! I'm also interested... HI I HOPE THAT ALL OF YOU WERE ABLE TO READ OUR DESCRIPTION THAT WAS SENT TO SLAVOK WORLD FOR ME BY JARMATA EDIE> _____________
                          > From : Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> Save Address
                          > To : Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                          > Subject : [Slovak-World] Slovakia trip
                          > Date : Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:20:36 -0700 (PDT)
                          >
                          > Edie:
                          >
                          > I'd love to hear about your travels.
                          >
                          > ccaswick@...
                          >
                          > Thanks and welcome home.
                          > Caye
                          > --- e.gernat@... wrote:
                          > Hi to all of you, we are back from our wonderful 6 week trip to Slovakia.
                          > It was so wonderful and I tried several ways to send an attachment about the
                          > trip but Slovak World will not accept the attachment so if any of you want
                          > it please let me know and i will try to send it to your E-mail.
                          >
                          > Also if any of your relatives came from Sebedrazia or the sister village or
                          > Cigel,let me know if you want me to look up their names in a wonderful book
                          > that Ed received from a cousin. The book is the history of those 2 villages
                          > dating from 1245 to present. It is in Slovak but the names can be picked
                          > out, As Ed was able to pick out when his Grandfather and several others came
                          > to USA long ago. It is so special as is my book from Boleraz. They are
                          > treasures to us as well as several other Slovakia Books that we have
                          > acquired. We have A Slovak History and the pictures are so beautiful.
                          >
                          > Edie and Ed
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • David
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 23 3:13 PM
                            Lil and All, Yes, indeed, putting the clear
                            slivovica in a drinking bottle works not only in
                            customs but also sending it in the mail from
                            Canada to America or vice versa. Of course, don't
                            put your correct name and address on the return
                            address..........This message will self destruct
                            in 5 seconds after you read this.
                            anonymous

                          • Eve Smith
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 10, 2010
                              Where would I begin? This was such a dream trip with Helene, seeing castles and small villages with much kroj. We attended the Hel'pa Festival early on. The trip there was the trip from hell with storm delays and lost luggage. We saw many people raking hay with their wooden rakes and loading wagons. I was so glad to have my new digital camera. I felt like I was on a National Geographic photo shoot!

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 12, 2010
                                So glad to hear that you made the trip!

                                Congrats.  You have given yourself the gift of a lifetime.  Excellent memories.

                                What a charming place.  By sharing your experiences, you help me to rekindle my  own.

                                Until I can save a few pennies to return in a few years.  ... that is, if I can keep my job.  The way they are letting folks go, that may not be possible.