Re: [Slovak-World] OT What is Europe/world saying/doing about Katrina victims?

  • Michelle A Mader
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
      I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking in. Kuwait has sent
      $500 million and Qurat $100 million.

      Michelle Maco Mader
      Cleveland, Ohio USA

      At 06:30 PM 9/2/2005 -0400, you wrote:
      >Oh thank you Michelle! Its so good to hear some good news!!!!
      >
      >Claudia

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
        > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
        > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million

        That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
        that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
        300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
        help a disaster area oveseas. And that's without factoring
        in the difference in the per-capita GDP between Kuwait and the US.
        Washngton's total annual foreign aid budget is about $15 bil.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • sandman6294
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@y...>
          wrote:
          > > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
          > > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million
          >
          > That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
          > that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
          > 300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
          > help a disaster area oveseas.

          That's about 7.7MB (Mega Barrels) of oil. In addition to showing
          compassion, it's a wise investment considering its neighbors and past
          history.

          RU
        • sandman6294
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "sandman6294" <sandman6294@y...>
            wrote:
            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
            > > > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million
            > >
            > > That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
            > > that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
            > > 300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
            > > help a disaster area oveseas.
            >
            > That's about 7.7MB (Mega Barrels) of oil. In addition to showing
            > compassion, it's a wise investment considering its neighbors and past
            > history.
            >
            > RU

            Forgot to add "Daily oil usage in the United States is 19MB of oil per
            day.

            RU