RE: [Slovak-World] OT What is Europe/world saying/doing about Katrina victims?

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
      Claudia:

      I Think all I can ask that everyone on Slovak-World say
      a prayer today for the victims.

      I worked for several years with stores in the New Orleans
      area. I actually saw several on CNN this week.

      The show window of the store next to our Burt's Shoes on
      Canal Street was being used as a staging area for the
      dead.

      It took a toll on me.

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
        I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking in. Kuwait has sent
        $500 million and Qurat $100 million.

        Michelle Maco Mader
        Cleveland, Ohio USA

        At 06:30 PM 9/2/2005 -0400, you wrote:
        >Oh thank you Michelle! Its so good to hear some good news!!!!
        >
        >Claudia

      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
          > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
          > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million

          That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
          that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
          300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
          help a disaster area oveseas. And that's without factoring
          in the difference in the per-capita GDP between Kuwait and the US.
          Washngton's total annual foreign aid budget is about $15 bil.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • sandman6294
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@y...>
            wrote:
            > > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
            > > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million
            >
            > That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
            > that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
            > 300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
            > help a disaster area oveseas.

            That's about 7.7MB (Mega Barrels) of oil. In addition to showing
            compassion, it's a wise investment considering its neighbors and past
            history.

            RU
          • sandman6294
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "sandman6294" <sandman6294@y...>
              wrote:
              > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
              > > > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million
              > >
              > > That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
              > > that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
              > > 300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
              > > help a disaster area oveseas.
              >
              > That's about 7.7MB (Mega Barrels) of oil. In addition to showing
              > compassion, it's a wise investment considering its neighbors and past
              > history.
              >
              > RU

              Forgot to add "Daily oil usage in the United States is 19MB of oil per
              day.

              RU