Re: [Slovak-World] OT What is Europe/world saying/doing about Katrina victims?

  • agp@telerama.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
      A rather unfortunate and tasteless editorial cartoon ran in a local
      fish-wrapper comparing foreign aid for the victims of Katrina to
      belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny. The narrow-mindedness of this
      type of view goes a long way to explain why America is vilified by
      many around the world.

      If a lack of response really was the situation then I guess that I
      did not just hear a notice on Canada's The Weather Network cable
      channel (the equivalent to the USA's Weather Channel) for people to
      donate through the Red Cross. I guess that also BBC World, and
      international cable news channel, and the BBC domestically have not
      made calls for similar donations.

      Problem is that they both have done so. Whoops there was a second
      appeal on the Weather Network. So much for the silence of the world.

      I spent several hours on the phone and doing research on-line about
      the situation for a friend from England. He was planning a vacation
      in Arizona this weekend to visit another friend. His friend in
      Phoenix has family in Biloxi. They have decided to scrap their fun
      visit plans and go to Biloxi to help out. Yeah, I guess the British
      don't care either.

      Tony P
    • Michelle A Mader
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
        >Lots of countries have offered and are giving help. Even Sri Lanka, which is
        still recovering from the tsunami, made a donation. Go to
        http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/katrina.world/index.html
        for more info.

        Michelle Maco Mader
        Cleveland, Ohio USA
      • raybravo2000
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
          I think this is where we learn the difference between disaster and
          castastrophe. There was warning about this type of storm coming to
          New Orleans but it just wasn't heeded (apparently the guy who made
          the warning was fired by FEMA), and the flood gates and pumps in
          N.O. were set up to handle a Catagory 3 storm and Katrina was a 4 (5
          is the highest). Floridia had four hurricanes last summer (I think
          they all came in one month also), so really N.O. could get another
          hurricane this year. Hurricanes are getting stronger in intensity
          and the hurricane season is extending longer now.

          It's a matter of taking a short term view of a long term problem.
          While N.O. would have paid more for a better flood system, which may
          have cost some schools or some other program, maybe their city would
          be back to normal today.

          Colin

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holcz <nickh@i...> wrote:
          > At 10:46 AM 2/09/2005, you wrote:
          > >Just wanted to know if the world thinks about our major tragedy
          that is as bad
          > >as the Tsunami in India? Are we on our own?
          >

          > Looks like an unprecedented disaster and that your authorities had
          no idea
          > how bad it would be.
          > Hope help for the people comes soon. The violence and looting
          seems to us,
          > depending on media for information, to be terrible.
          >
          > I think Australia is sending some experts? over to help. Don't
          know about
          > anything else. I guess we think the U.S. has all the equipment
          they need to
          > handle this situation.
          >
          > Nick
        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
            Colin,

            Flood control along the Mississippi and the coasts has been actively
            in tfederal hands since the 1930's, and congress placed the US Army
            Corps of Engineers in charge of the program. Reports are that they
            had pump improvements and dike reinforcement and augmentaion in the
            program years ago but it was unfunded because the money was needed
            in Iraq.

            So we as a nation are caught in the quandry of where to spend our
            money and what degree of disaster to accept, and we placed our bets
            on the greater need being in Iraq. How do they recon that? One
            aircraft carrier costs 30,000 schools?

            Ron
            PS The mayor of New Orleans has been doing some great complaining,
            but the finger pointing is just starting. Maybe we should re-name
            the place Atlantis.

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
            wrote:

            > It's a matter of taking a short term view of a long term problem.
            > While N.O. would have paid more for a better flood system, which
            may > have cost some schools or some other program, maybe their city
            would > be back to normal today.

            > Colin
          • gergely
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
              Hey this is supposed to be a non-political site! That last post sure looks
              like a political post.

              Check this site and see over 200 New Orleans school buses sitting under
              water. They ciould have easily evacuated over 6000 people. Probably many
              other similar sites. The mayor had complete authority to use them to
              evacuate those who couldn't leave.

              Jack Gergely
              Newport News - home of those aircraft carriers.

              wrote:

              > It's a matter of taking a short term view of a long term problem.
              > While N.O. would have paid more for a better flood system, which
              may > have cost some schools or some other program, maybe their city
              would > be back to normal today.

              > Colin

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Claudia Medvik
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                Oh thank you Michelle! Its so good to hear some good news!!!!

                Claudia
                >Lots of countries have offered and are giving help. Even Sri Lanka, which is
                still recovering from the tsunami, made a donation. Go to
                http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/katrina.world/index.html<http://wwwcnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/katrina.world/index.html>
                for more info.

                Michelle Maco Mader
                Cleveland, Ohio USA

              • Gregory J Kopchak
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                  Claudia:

                  I Think all I can ask that everyone on Slovak-World say
                  a prayer today for the victims.

                  I worked for several years with stores in the New Orleans
                  area. I actually saw several on CNN this week.

                  The show window of the store next to our Burt's Shoes on
                  Canal Street was being used as a staging area for the
                  dead.

                  It took a toll on me.

                  Greg Kopchak
                  It's All Relative

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                    I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking in. Kuwait has sent
                    $500 million and Qurat $100 million.

                    Michelle Maco Mader
                    Cleveland, Ohio USA

                    At 06:30 PM 9/2/2005 -0400, you wrote:
                    >Oh thank you Michelle! Its so good to hear some good news!!!!
                    >
                    >Claudia

                  • Martin Votruba
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                      > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
                      > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million

                      That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
                      that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
                      300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
                      help a disaster area oveseas. And that's without factoring
                      in the difference in the per-capita GDP between Kuwait and the US.
                      Washngton's total annual foreign aid budget is about $15 bil.

                      Martin

                      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                    • sandman6294
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
                        > > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million
                        >
                        > That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
                        > that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
                        > 300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
                        > help a disaster area oveseas.

                        That's about 7.7MB (Mega Barrels) of oil. In addition to showing
                        compassion, it's a wise investment considering its neighbors and past
                        history.

                        RU
                      • sandman6294
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "sandman6294" <sandman6294@y...>
                          wrote:
                          > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@y...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
                          > > > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million
                          > >
                          > > That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
                          > > that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
                          > > 300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
                          > > help a disaster area oveseas.
                          >
                          > That's about 7.7MB (Mega Barrels) of oil. In addition to showing
                          > compassion, it's a wise investment considering its neighbors and past
                          > history.
                          >
                          > RU

                          Forgot to add "Daily oil usage in the United States is 19MB of oil per
                          day.

                          RU