Re: OT What is Europe/world saying/doing about Katrina victims?

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
      Claudia,

      I ran across a good article int he English section of the German
      news magazine Spiegel, and from my perspective it seems pretty true
      and even handed - I recommend reading it.

      "Disaster 101: Why Europe Hasn't Jumped to Help Katrina's Victims"
      http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372348,00.html

      then again in the English langage section is a wide variety of
      reportage and perspectives. The German Environmental minister
      jumped the gun and blamed Bush and his anti-global warming, much as
      some Americans say an overseas disaster is "God's punisment" for
      some percieved failing of dem furriners. In any case the minister
      kicked up a storm of commentary that Speigel also translated. For
      some of this exchange of opinions, try
      http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372405,00.html

      and discussion in letters to the editor:
      "DEAR AMERICA, Germans Respond to 'Katrina' Controversy"

      http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372584,00.html

      I have to agree with the first perspective, that we seem to be big
      and rich enough and have the emergency infrastructure to handle it
      well by ourselves. If the foreigners do send aid other than cash,
      perhaps it would be best for them to 'adapt' an outlying but damaged
      town or hospital to help, close enough to need aid yet out of the
      way of FEMA and all they must handle with coordinating the multitude
      of American organizations.

      I get involved in some of the rescue drills in Alaska and some oil
      spill exercises, and my personal conclusion is that the ICS center
      is doing well if they can contain some of the chaos of all the
      activities, the different groups, the conflicting priorities,
      ordering and paying for services and facilities, the logistics
      and ... they even anticipate follow-on lawsuits. Even a relatively
      simple exercise with 6 organizations leads to a lot of chaos.

      Those are my words and not meant in any way to imply criticism of
      any of the groups or their activities. It is a tough nut!

      Ron
      (ICS is Incident Command Center, the headquarters using and
      coordinating all organizations. The ICS system was invented to
      provide a common language between organizations - as if soemone at a
      forest fire orders a tanker, it could mean a flying tanker to bomb
      the fire from the air, and a fire department might think of their
      wheeled truck tanker... as a very simple example).
    • agp@telerama.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
        A rather unfortunate and tasteless editorial cartoon ran in a local
        fish-wrapper comparing foreign aid for the victims of Katrina to
        belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny. The narrow-mindedness of this
        type of view goes a long way to explain why America is vilified by
        many around the world.

        If a lack of response really was the situation then I guess that I
        did not just hear a notice on Canada's The Weather Network cable
        channel (the equivalent to the USA's Weather Channel) for people to
        donate through the Red Cross. I guess that also BBC World, and
        international cable news channel, and the BBC domestically have not
        made calls for similar donations.

        Problem is that they both have done so. Whoops there was a second
        appeal on the Weather Network. So much for the silence of the world.

        I spent several hours on the phone and doing research on-line about
        the situation for a friend from England. He was planning a vacation
        in Arizona this weekend to visit another friend. His friend in
        Phoenix has family in Biloxi. They have decided to scrap their fun
        visit plans and go to Biloxi to help out. Yeah, I guess the British
        don't care either.

        Tony P
      • Michelle A Mader
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
          >Lots of countries have offered and are giving help. Even Sri Lanka, which is
          still recovering from the tsunami, made a donation. Go to
          http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/katrina.world/index.html
          for more info.

          Michelle Maco Mader
          Cleveland, Ohio USA
        • raybravo2000
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
            I think this is where we learn the difference between disaster and
            castastrophe. There was warning about this type of storm coming to
            New Orleans but it just wasn't heeded (apparently the guy who made
            the warning was fired by FEMA), and the flood gates and pumps in
            N.O. were set up to handle a Catagory 3 storm and Katrina was a 4 (5
            is the highest). Floridia had four hurricanes last summer (I think
            they all came in one month also), so really N.O. could get another
            hurricane this year. Hurricanes are getting stronger in intensity
            and the hurricane season is extending longer now.

            It's a matter of taking a short term view of a long term problem.
            While N.O. would have paid more for a better flood system, which may
            have cost some schools or some other program, maybe their city would
            be back to normal today.

            Colin

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holcz <nickh@i...> wrote:
            > At 10:46 AM 2/09/2005, you wrote:
            > >Just wanted to know if the world thinks about our major tragedy
            that is as bad
            > >as the Tsunami in India? Are we on our own?
            >

            > Looks like an unprecedented disaster and that your authorities had
            no idea
            > how bad it would be.
            > Hope help for the people comes soon. The violence and looting
            seems to us,
            > depending on media for information, to be terrible.
            >
            > I think Australia is sending some experts? over to help. Don't
            know about
            > anything else. I guess we think the U.S. has all the equipment
            they need to
            > handle this situation.
            >
            > Nick
          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
              Colin,

              Flood control along the Mississippi and the coasts has been actively
              in tfederal hands since the 1930's, and congress placed the US Army
              Corps of Engineers in charge of the program. Reports are that they
              had pump improvements and dike reinforcement and augmentaion in the
              program years ago but it was unfunded because the money was needed
              in Iraq.

              So we as a nation are caught in the quandry of where to spend our
              money and what degree of disaster to accept, and we placed our bets
              on the greater need being in Iraq. How do they recon that? One
              aircraft carrier costs 30,000 schools?

              Ron
              PS The mayor of New Orleans has been doing some great complaining,
              but the finger pointing is just starting. Maybe we should re-name
              the place Atlantis.

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
              wrote:

              > It's a matter of taking a short term view of a long term problem.
              > While N.O. would have paid more for a better flood system, which
              may > have cost some schools or some other program, maybe their city
              would > be back to normal today.

              > Colin
            • gergely
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                Hey this is supposed to be a non-political site! That last post sure looks
                like a political post.

                Check this site and see over 200 New Orleans school buses sitting under
                water. They ciould have easily evacuated over 6000 people. Probably many
                other similar sites. The mayor had complete authority to use them to
                evacuate those who couldn't leave.

                Jack Gergely
                Newport News - home of those aircraft carriers.

                wrote:

                > It's a matter of taking a short term view of a long term problem.
                > While N.O. would have paid more for a better flood system, which
                may > have cost some schools or some other program, maybe their city
                would > be back to normal today.

                > Colin

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Claudia Medvik
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                  Oh thank you Michelle! Its so good to hear some good news!!!!

                  Claudia
                  >Lots of countries have offered and are giving help. Even Sri Lanka, which is
                  still recovering from the tsunami, made a donation. Go to
                  http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/katrina.world/index.html<http://wwwcnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/katrina.world/index.html>
                  for more info.

                  Michelle Maco Mader
                  Cleveland, Ohio USA

                • Gregory J Kopchak
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                    Claudia:

                    I Think all I can ask that everyone on Slovak-World say
                    a prayer today for the victims.

                    I worked for several years with stores in the New Orleans
                    area. I actually saw several on CNN this week.

                    The show window of the store next to our Burt's Shoes on
                    Canal Street was being used as a staging area for the
                    dead.

                    It took a toll on me.

                    Greg Kopchak
                    It's All Relative

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                      I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking in. Kuwait has sent
                      $500 million and Qurat $100 million.

                      Michelle Maco Mader
                      Cleveland, Ohio USA

                      At 06:30 PM 9/2/2005 -0400, you wrote:
                      >Oh thank you Michelle! Its so good to hear some good news!!!!
                      >
                      >Claudia

                    • Martin Votruba
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                        > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
                        > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million

                        That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
                        that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
                        300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
                        help a disaster area oveseas. And that's without factoring
                        in the difference in the per-capita GDP between Kuwait and the US.
                        Washngton's total annual foreign aid budget is about $15 bil.

                        Martin

                        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                      • sandman6294
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@y...>
                          wrote:
                          > > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
                          > > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million
                          >
                          > That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
                          > that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
                          > 300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
                          > help a disaster area oveseas.

                          That's about 7.7MB (Mega Barrels) of oil. In addition to showing
                          compassion, it's a wise investment considering its neighbors and past
                          history.

                          RU
                        • sandman6294
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "sandman6294" <sandman6294@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@y...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
                            > > > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million
                            > >
                            > > That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
                            > > that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
                            > > 300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
                            > > help a disaster area oveseas.
                            >
                            > That's about 7.7MB (Mega Barrels) of oil. In addition to showing
                            > compassion, it's a wise investment considering its neighbors and past
                            > history.
                            >
                            > RU

                            Forgot to add "Daily oil usage in the United States is 19MB of oil per
                            day.

                            RU