Re: [Slovak-World] OT What is Europe/world saying/doing about Katrina victims?

  • Nick Holcz
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1 11:09 PM
      At 10:46 AM 2/09/2005, you wrote:
      >Just wanted to know if the world thinks about our major tragedy that is as bad
      >as the Tsunami in India? Are we on our own?

      Looks like an unprecedented disaster and that your authorities had no idea
      how bad it would be.
      Hope help for the people comes soon. The violence and looting seems to us,
      depending on media for information, to be terrible.

      I think Australia is sending some experts? over to help. Don't know about
      anything else. I guess we think the U.S. has all the equipment they need to
      handle this situation.

      Nick
    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1 11:39 PM
        Claudia,

        I ran across a good article int he English section of the German
        news magazine Spiegel, and from my perspective it seems pretty true
        and even handed - I recommend reading it.

        "Disaster 101: Why Europe Hasn't Jumped to Help Katrina's Victims"
        http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372348,00.html

        then again in the English langage section is a wide variety of
        reportage and perspectives. The German Environmental minister
        jumped the gun and blamed Bush and his anti-global warming, much as
        some Americans say an overseas disaster is "God's punisment" for
        some percieved failing of dem furriners. In any case the minister
        kicked up a storm of commentary that Speigel also translated. For
        some of this exchange of opinions, try
        http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372405,00.html

        and discussion in letters to the editor:
        "DEAR AMERICA, Germans Respond to 'Katrina' Controversy"

        http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372584,00.html

        I have to agree with the first perspective, that we seem to be big
        and rich enough and have the emergency infrastructure to handle it
        well by ourselves. If the foreigners do send aid other than cash,
        perhaps it would be best for them to 'adapt' an outlying but damaged
        town or hospital to help, close enough to need aid yet out of the
        way of FEMA and all they must handle with coordinating the multitude
        of American organizations.

        I get involved in some of the rescue drills in Alaska and some oil
        spill exercises, and my personal conclusion is that the ICS center
        is doing well if they can contain some of the chaos of all the
        activities, the different groups, the conflicting priorities,
        ordering and paying for services and facilities, the logistics
        and ... they even anticipate follow-on lawsuits. Even a relatively
        simple exercise with 6 organizations leads to a lot of chaos.

        Those are my words and not meant in any way to imply criticism of
        any of the groups or their activities. It is a tough nut!

        Ron
        (ICS is Incident Command Center, the headquarters using and
        coordinating all organizations. The ICS system was invented to
        provide a common language between organizations - as if soemone at a
        forest fire orders a tanker, it could mean a flying tanker to bomb
        the fire from the air, and a fire department might think of their
        wheeled truck tanker... as a very simple example).
      • agp@telerama.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 2 3:07 AM
          A rather unfortunate and tasteless editorial cartoon ran in a local
          fish-wrapper comparing foreign aid for the victims of Katrina to
          belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny. The narrow-mindedness of this
          type of view goes a long way to explain why America is vilified by
          many around the world.

          If a lack of response really was the situation then I guess that I
          did not just hear a notice on Canada's The Weather Network cable
          channel (the equivalent to the USA's Weather Channel) for people to
          donate through the Red Cross. I guess that also BBC World, and
          international cable news channel, and the BBC domestically have not
          made calls for similar donations.

          Problem is that they both have done so. Whoops there was a second
          appeal on the Weather Network. So much for the silence of the world.

          I spent several hours on the phone and doing research on-line about
          the situation for a friend from England. He was planning a vacation
          in Arizona this weekend to visit another friend. His friend in
          Phoenix has family in Biloxi. They have decided to scrap their fun
          visit plans and go to Biloxi to help out. Yeah, I guess the British
          don't care either.

          Tony P
        • Michelle A Mader
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 2 7:53 AM
            >Lots of countries have offered and are giving help. Even Sri Lanka, which is
            still recovering from the tsunami, made a donation. Go to
            http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/katrina.world/index.html
            for more info.

            Michelle Maco Mader
            Cleveland, Ohio USA
          • raybravo2000
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 2 10:18 AM
              I think this is where we learn the difference between disaster and
              castastrophe. There was warning about this type of storm coming to
              New Orleans but it just wasn't heeded (apparently the guy who made
              the warning was fired by FEMA), and the flood gates and pumps in
              N.O. were set up to handle a Catagory 3 storm and Katrina was a 4 (5
              is the highest). Floridia had four hurricanes last summer (I think
              they all came in one month also), so really N.O. could get another
              hurricane this year. Hurricanes are getting stronger in intensity
              and the hurricane season is extending longer now.

              It's a matter of taking a short term view of a long term problem.
              While N.O. would have paid more for a better flood system, which may
              have cost some schools or some other program, maybe their city would
              be back to normal today.

              Colin

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holcz <nickh@i...> wrote:
              > At 10:46 AM 2/09/2005, you wrote:
              > >Just wanted to know if the world thinks about our major tragedy
              that is as bad
              > >as the Tsunami in India? Are we on our own?
              >

              > Looks like an unprecedented disaster and that your authorities had
              no idea
              > how bad it would be.
              > Hope help for the people comes soon. The violence and looting
              seems to us,
              > depending on media for information, to be terrible.
              >
              > I think Australia is sending some experts? over to help. Don't
              know about
              > anything else. I guess we think the U.S. has all the equipment
              they need to
              > handle this situation.
              >
              > Nick
            • amiak27
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 2 12:12 PM
                Colin,

                Flood control along the Mississippi and the coasts has been actively
                in tfederal hands since the 1930's, and congress placed the US Army
                Corps of Engineers in charge of the program. Reports are that they
                had pump improvements and dike reinforcement and augmentaion in the
                program years ago but it was unfunded because the money was needed
                in Iraq.

                So we as a nation are caught in the quandry of where to spend our
                money and what degree of disaster to accept, and we placed our bets
                on the greater need being in Iraq. How do they recon that? One
                aircraft carrier costs 30,000 schools?

                Ron
                PS The mayor of New Orleans has been doing some great complaining,
                but the finger pointing is just starting. Maybe we should re-name
                the place Atlantis.

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                wrote:

                > It's a matter of taking a short term view of a long term problem.
                > While N.O. would have paid more for a better flood system, which
                may > have cost some schools or some other program, maybe their city
                would > be back to normal today.

                > Colin
              • gergely
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 2 2:18 PM
                  Hey this is supposed to be a non-political site! That last post sure looks
                  like a political post.

                  Check this site and see over 200 New Orleans school buses sitting under
                  water. They ciould have easily evacuated over 6000 people. Probably many
                  other similar sites. The mayor had complete authority to use them to
                  evacuate those who couldn't leave.

                  Jack Gergely
                  Newport News - home of those aircraft carriers.

                  wrote:

                  > It's a matter of taking a short term view of a long term problem.
                  > While N.O. would have paid more for a better flood system, which
                  may > have cost some schools or some other program, maybe their city
                  would > be back to normal today.

                  > Colin

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Claudia Medvik
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 2 3:30 PM
                    Oh thank you Michelle! Its so good to hear some good news!!!!

                    Claudia
                    >Lots of countries have offered and are giving help. Even Sri Lanka, which is
                    still recovering from the tsunami, made a donation. Go to
                    http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/katrina.world/index.html<http://wwwcnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/katrina.world/index.html>
                    for more info.

                    Michelle Maco Mader
                    Cleveland, Ohio USA

                  • Gregory J Kopchak
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 2 5:33 PM
                      Claudia:

                      I Think all I can ask that everyone on Slovak-World say
                      a prayer today for the victims.

                      I worked for several years with stores in the New Orleans
                      area. I actually saw several on CNN this week.

                      The show window of the store next to our Burt's Shoes on
                      Canal Street was being used as a staging area for the
                      dead.

                      It took a toll on me.

                      Greg Kopchak
                      It's All Relative

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 6 7:26 AM
                        I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking in. Kuwait has sent
                        $500 million and Qurat $100 million.

                        Michelle Maco Mader
                        Cleveland, Ohio USA

                        At 06:30 PM 9/2/2005 -0400, you wrote:
                        >Oh thank you Michelle! Its so good to hear some good news!!!!
                        >
                        >Claudia

                      • Martin Votruba
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 6 2:26 PM
                          > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
                          > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million

                          That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
                          that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
                          300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
                          help a disaster area oveseas. And that's without factoring
                          in the difference in the per-capita GDP between Kuwait and the US.
                          Washngton's total annual foreign aid budget is about $15 bil.

                          Martin

                          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                        • sandman6294
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 9 10:45 PM
                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
                            > > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million
                            >
                            > That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
                            > that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
                            > 300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
                            > help a disaster area oveseas.

                            That's about 7.7MB (Mega Barrels) of oil. In addition to showing
                            compassion, it's a wise investment considering its neighbors and past
                            history.

                            RU
                          • sandman6294
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 9 11:04 PM
                              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "sandman6294" <sandman6294@y...>
                              wrote:
                              > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@y...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
                              > > > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million
                              > >
                              > > That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
                              > > that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
                              > > 300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
                              > > help a disaster area oveseas.
                              >
                              > That's about 7.7MB (Mega Barrels) of oil. In addition to showing
                              > compassion, it's a wise investment considering its neighbors and past
                              > history.
                              >
                              > RU

                              Forgot to add "Daily oil usage in the United States is 19MB of oil per
                              day.

                              RU