Re: [Slovak-World] OT What is Europe/world saying/doing about Katrina victims?

  • Scott T. Mikusko
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
      On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Claudia Medvik wrote:

      > Just wanted to know if the world thinks about our major tragedy that is
      > as bad as the Tsunami in India? Are we on our own? Has any body offered
      > us any help? Has France offered any help?

      France was the first to offer assistance two days ago. Along with at
      least 15 other countries today.

      There's old people like my
      > folks dying in the streets from the heat, their bodies covered in sheets
      > and left where they died. And the government is talking about sending
      > cruise ships and aircraft carriers... what we need is fleets of buses
      > from nearby states, little people going in. Where are all the heroes
      > from 9/11??? What the heck is being an American about if not YOU
      > yourself helping your neighbor will what little you got?

      That's not an American trait; that's just being a caring human being.

      -S
    • Nick Holcz
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
        At 10:46 AM 2/09/2005, you wrote:
        >Just wanted to know if the world thinks about our major tragedy that is as bad
        >as the Tsunami in India? Are we on our own?

        Looks like an unprecedented disaster and that your authorities had no idea
        how bad it would be.
        Hope help for the people comes soon. The violence and looting seems to us,
        depending on media for information, to be terrible.

        I think Australia is sending some experts? over to help. Don't know about
        anything else. I guess we think the U.S. has all the equipment they need to
        handle this situation.

        Nick
      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
          Claudia,

          I ran across a good article int he English section of the German
          news magazine Spiegel, and from my perspective it seems pretty true
          and even handed - I recommend reading it.

          "Disaster 101: Why Europe Hasn't Jumped to Help Katrina's Victims"
          http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372348,00.html

          then again in the English langage section is a wide variety of
          reportage and perspectives. The German Environmental minister
          jumped the gun and blamed Bush and his anti-global warming, much as
          some Americans say an overseas disaster is "God's punisment" for
          some percieved failing of dem furriners. In any case the minister
          kicked up a storm of commentary that Speigel also translated. For
          some of this exchange of opinions, try
          http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372405,00.html

          and discussion in letters to the editor:
          "DEAR AMERICA, Germans Respond to 'Katrina' Controversy"

          http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372584,00.html

          I have to agree with the first perspective, that we seem to be big
          and rich enough and have the emergency infrastructure to handle it
          well by ourselves. If the foreigners do send aid other than cash,
          perhaps it would be best for them to 'adapt' an outlying but damaged
          town or hospital to help, close enough to need aid yet out of the
          way of FEMA and all they must handle with coordinating the multitude
          of American organizations.

          I get involved in some of the rescue drills in Alaska and some oil
          spill exercises, and my personal conclusion is that the ICS center
          is doing well if they can contain some of the chaos of all the
          activities, the different groups, the conflicting priorities,
          ordering and paying for services and facilities, the logistics
          and ... they even anticipate follow-on lawsuits. Even a relatively
          simple exercise with 6 organizations leads to a lot of chaos.

          Those are my words and not meant in any way to imply criticism of
          any of the groups or their activities. It is a tough nut!

          Ron
          (ICS is Incident Command Center, the headquarters using and
          coordinating all organizations. The ICS system was invented to
          provide a common language between organizations - as if soemone at a
          forest fire orders a tanker, it could mean a flying tanker to bomb
          the fire from the air, and a fire department might think of their
          wheeled truck tanker... as a very simple example).
        • agp@telerama.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
            A rather unfortunate and tasteless editorial cartoon ran in a local
            fish-wrapper comparing foreign aid for the victims of Katrina to
            belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny. The narrow-mindedness of this
            type of view goes a long way to explain why America is vilified by
            many around the world.

            If a lack of response really was the situation then I guess that I
            did not just hear a notice on Canada's The Weather Network cable
            channel (the equivalent to the USA's Weather Channel) for people to
            donate through the Red Cross. I guess that also BBC World, and
            international cable news channel, and the BBC domestically have not
            made calls for similar donations.

            Problem is that they both have done so. Whoops there was a second
            appeal on the Weather Network. So much for the silence of the world.

            I spent several hours on the phone and doing research on-line about
            the situation for a friend from England. He was planning a vacation
            in Arizona this weekend to visit another friend. His friend in
            Phoenix has family in Biloxi. They have decided to scrap their fun
            visit plans and go to Biloxi to help out. Yeah, I guess the British
            don't care either.

            Tony P
          • Michelle A Mader
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
              >Lots of countries have offered and are giving help. Even Sri Lanka, which is
              still recovering from the tsunami, made a donation. Go to
              http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/katrina.world/index.html
              for more info.

              Michelle Maco Mader
              Cleveland, Ohio USA
            • raybravo2000
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                I think this is where we learn the difference between disaster and
                castastrophe. There was warning about this type of storm coming to
                New Orleans but it just wasn't heeded (apparently the guy who made
                the warning was fired by FEMA), and the flood gates and pumps in
                N.O. were set up to handle a Catagory 3 storm and Katrina was a 4 (5
                is the highest). Floridia had four hurricanes last summer (I think
                they all came in one month also), so really N.O. could get another
                hurricane this year. Hurricanes are getting stronger in intensity
                and the hurricane season is extending longer now.

                It's a matter of taking a short term view of a long term problem.
                While N.O. would have paid more for a better flood system, which may
                have cost some schools or some other program, maybe their city would
                be back to normal today.

                Colin

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holcz <nickh@i...> wrote:
                > At 10:46 AM 2/09/2005, you wrote:
                > >Just wanted to know if the world thinks about our major tragedy
                that is as bad
                > >as the Tsunami in India? Are we on our own?
                >

                > Looks like an unprecedented disaster and that your authorities had
                no idea
                > how bad it would be.
                > Hope help for the people comes soon. The violence and looting
                seems to us,
                > depending on media for information, to be terrible.
                >
                > I think Australia is sending some experts? over to help. Don't
                know about
                > anything else. I guess we think the U.S. has all the equipment
                they need to
                > handle this situation.
                >
                > Nick
              • amiak27
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                  Colin,

                  Flood control along the Mississippi and the coasts has been actively
                  in tfederal hands since the 1930's, and congress placed the US Army
                  Corps of Engineers in charge of the program. Reports are that they
                  had pump improvements and dike reinforcement and augmentaion in the
                  program years ago but it was unfunded because the money was needed
                  in Iraq.

                  So we as a nation are caught in the quandry of where to spend our
                  money and what degree of disaster to accept, and we placed our bets
                  on the greater need being in Iraq. How do they recon that? One
                  aircraft carrier costs 30,000 schools?

                  Ron
                  PS The mayor of New Orleans has been doing some great complaining,
                  but the finger pointing is just starting. Maybe we should re-name
                  the place Atlantis.

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                  wrote:

                  > It's a matter of taking a short term view of a long term problem.
                  > While N.O. would have paid more for a better flood system, which
                  may > have cost some schools or some other program, maybe their city
                  would > be back to normal today.

                  > Colin
                • gergely
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                    Hey this is supposed to be a non-political site! That last post sure looks
                    like a political post.

                    Check this site and see over 200 New Orleans school buses sitting under
                    water. They ciould have easily evacuated over 6000 people. Probably many
                    other similar sites. The mayor had complete authority to use them to
                    evacuate those who couldn't leave.

                    Jack Gergely
                    Newport News - home of those aircraft carriers.

                    wrote:

                    > It's a matter of taking a short term view of a long term problem.
                    > While N.O. would have paid more for a better flood system, which
                    may > have cost some schools or some other program, maybe their city
                    would > be back to normal today.

                    > Colin

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Claudia Medvik
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                      Oh thank you Michelle! Its so good to hear some good news!!!!

                      Claudia
                      >Lots of countries have offered and are giving help. Even Sri Lanka, which is
                      still recovering from the tsunami, made a donation. Go to
                      http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/katrina.world/index.html<http://wwwcnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/katrina.world/index.html>
                      for more info.

                      Michelle Maco Mader
                      Cleveland, Ohio USA

                    • Gregory J Kopchak
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                        Claudia:

                        I Think all I can ask that everyone on Slovak-World say
                        a prayer today for the victims.

                        I worked for several years with stores in the New Orleans
                        area. I actually saw several on CNN this week.

                        The show window of the store next to our Burt's Shoes on
                        Canal Street was being used as a staging area for the
                        dead.

                        It took a toll on me.

                        Greg Kopchak
                        It's All Relative

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                          I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking in. Kuwait has sent
                          $500 million and Qurat $100 million.

                          Michelle Maco Mader
                          Cleveland, Ohio USA

                          At 06:30 PM 9/2/2005 -0400, you wrote:
                          >Oh thank you Michelle! Its so good to hear some good news!!!!
                          >
                          >Claudia

                        • Martin Votruba
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                            > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
                            > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million

                            That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
                            that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
                            300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
                            help a disaster area oveseas. And that's without factoring
                            in the difference in the per-capita GDP between Kuwait and the US.
                            Washngton's total annual foreign aid budget is about $15 bil.

                            Martin

                            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                          • sandman6294
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@y...>
                              wrote:
                              > > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
                              > > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million
                              >
                              > That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
                              > that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
                              > 300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
                              > help a disaster area oveseas.

                              That's about 7.7MB (Mega Barrels) of oil. In addition to showing
                              compassion, it's a wise investment considering its neighbors and past
                              history.

                              RU
                            • sandman6294
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "sandman6294" <sandman6294@y...>
                                wrote:
                                > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@y...>
                                > wrote:
                                > > > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
                                > > > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million
                                > >
                                > > That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
                                > > that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
                                > > 300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
                                > > help a disaster area oveseas.
                                >
                                > That's about 7.7MB (Mega Barrels) of oil. In addition to showing
                                > compassion, it's a wise investment considering its neighbors and past
                                > history.
                                >
                                > RU

                                Forgot to add "Daily oil usage in the United States is 19MB of oil per
                                day.

                                RU