Re: [Slovak-World] OT What is Europe/world saying/doing about Katrina victims?

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
      It's not too political for me; I agree with what you are saying. It's frustrating being so far away in the Pacific NW. I hope if the Big Quake hits we manage our crisis better. One lesson: don't expect ANY help from the government for 3 days to 2 weeks in the event of a major catastrophe. Plan your own survival strategy. I hope neighborhood associations all over the country get onto this.

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
        On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Claudia Medvik wrote:

        > Just wanted to know if the world thinks about our major tragedy that is
        > as bad as the Tsunami in India? Are we on our own? Has any body offered
        > us any help? Has France offered any help?

        France was the first to offer assistance two days ago. Along with at
        least 15 other countries today.

        There's old people like my
        > folks dying in the streets from the heat, their bodies covered in sheets
        > and left where they died. And the government is talking about sending
        > cruise ships and aircraft carriers... what we need is fleets of buses
        > from nearby states, little people going in. Where are all the heroes
        > from 9/11??? What the heck is being an American about if not YOU
        > yourself helping your neighbor will what little you got?

        That's not an American trait; that's just being a caring human being.

        -S
      • Nick Holcz
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
          At 10:46 AM 2/09/2005, you wrote:
          >Just wanted to know if the world thinks about our major tragedy that is as bad
          >as the Tsunami in India? Are we on our own?

          Looks like an unprecedented disaster and that your authorities had no idea
          how bad it would be.
          Hope help for the people comes soon. The violence and looting seems to us,
          depending on media for information, to be terrible.

          I think Australia is sending some experts? over to help. Don't know about
          anything else. I guess we think the U.S. has all the equipment they need to
          handle this situation.

          Nick
        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
            Claudia,

            I ran across a good article int he English section of the German
            news magazine Spiegel, and from my perspective it seems pretty true
            and even handed - I recommend reading it.

            "Disaster 101: Why Europe Hasn't Jumped to Help Katrina's Victims"
            http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372348,00.html

            then again in the English langage section is a wide variety of
            reportage and perspectives. The German Environmental minister
            jumped the gun and blamed Bush and his anti-global warming, much as
            some Americans say an overseas disaster is "God's punisment" for
            some percieved failing of dem furriners. In any case the minister
            kicked up a storm of commentary that Speigel also translated. For
            some of this exchange of opinions, try
            http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372405,00.html

            and discussion in letters to the editor:
            "DEAR AMERICA, Germans Respond to 'Katrina' Controversy"

            http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372584,00.html

            I have to agree with the first perspective, that we seem to be big
            and rich enough and have the emergency infrastructure to handle it
            well by ourselves. If the foreigners do send aid other than cash,
            perhaps it would be best for them to 'adapt' an outlying but damaged
            town or hospital to help, close enough to need aid yet out of the
            way of FEMA and all they must handle with coordinating the multitude
            of American organizations.

            I get involved in some of the rescue drills in Alaska and some oil
            spill exercises, and my personal conclusion is that the ICS center
            is doing well if they can contain some of the chaos of all the
            activities, the different groups, the conflicting priorities,
            ordering and paying for services and facilities, the logistics
            and ... they even anticipate follow-on lawsuits. Even a relatively
            simple exercise with 6 organizations leads to a lot of chaos.

            Those are my words and not meant in any way to imply criticism of
            any of the groups or their activities. It is a tough nut!

            Ron
            (ICS is Incident Command Center, the headquarters using and
            coordinating all organizations. The ICS system was invented to
            provide a common language between organizations - as if soemone at a
            forest fire orders a tanker, it could mean a flying tanker to bomb
            the fire from the air, and a fire department might think of their
            wheeled truck tanker... as a very simple example).
          • agp@telerama.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
              A rather unfortunate and tasteless editorial cartoon ran in a local
              fish-wrapper comparing foreign aid for the victims of Katrina to
              belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny. The narrow-mindedness of this
              type of view goes a long way to explain why America is vilified by
              many around the world.

              If a lack of response really was the situation then I guess that I
              did not just hear a notice on Canada's The Weather Network cable
              channel (the equivalent to the USA's Weather Channel) for people to
              donate through the Red Cross. I guess that also BBC World, and
              international cable news channel, and the BBC domestically have not
              made calls for similar donations.

              Problem is that they both have done so. Whoops there was a second
              appeal on the Weather Network. So much for the silence of the world.

              I spent several hours on the phone and doing research on-line about
              the situation for a friend from England. He was planning a vacation
              in Arizona this weekend to visit another friend. His friend in
              Phoenix has family in Biloxi. They have decided to scrap their fun
              visit plans and go to Biloxi to help out. Yeah, I guess the British
              don't care either.

              Tony P
            • Michelle A Mader
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                >Lots of countries have offered and are giving help. Even Sri Lanka, which is
                still recovering from the tsunami, made a donation. Go to
                http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/katrina.world/index.html
                for more info.

                Michelle Maco Mader
                Cleveland, Ohio USA
              • raybravo2000
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                  I think this is where we learn the difference between disaster and
                  castastrophe. There was warning about this type of storm coming to
                  New Orleans but it just wasn't heeded (apparently the guy who made
                  the warning was fired by FEMA), and the flood gates and pumps in
                  N.O. were set up to handle a Catagory 3 storm and Katrina was a 4 (5
                  is the highest). Floridia had four hurricanes last summer (I think
                  they all came in one month also), so really N.O. could get another
                  hurricane this year. Hurricanes are getting stronger in intensity
                  and the hurricane season is extending longer now.

                  It's a matter of taking a short term view of a long term problem.
                  While N.O. would have paid more for a better flood system, which may
                  have cost some schools or some other program, maybe their city would
                  be back to normal today.

                  Colin

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holcz <nickh@i...> wrote:
                  > At 10:46 AM 2/09/2005, you wrote:
                  > >Just wanted to know if the world thinks about our major tragedy
                  that is as bad
                  > >as the Tsunami in India? Are we on our own?
                  >

                  > Looks like an unprecedented disaster and that your authorities had
                  no idea
                  > how bad it would be.
                  > Hope help for the people comes soon. The violence and looting
                  seems to us,
                  > depending on media for information, to be terrible.
                  >
                  > I think Australia is sending some experts? over to help. Don't
                  know about
                  > anything else. I guess we think the U.S. has all the equipment
                  they need to
                  > handle this situation.
                  >
                  > Nick
                • amiak27
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                    Colin,

                    Flood control along the Mississippi and the coasts has been actively
                    in tfederal hands since the 1930's, and congress placed the US Army
                    Corps of Engineers in charge of the program. Reports are that they
                    had pump improvements and dike reinforcement and augmentaion in the
                    program years ago but it was unfunded because the money was needed
                    in Iraq.

                    So we as a nation are caught in the quandry of where to spend our
                    money and what degree of disaster to accept, and we placed our bets
                    on the greater need being in Iraq. How do they recon that? One
                    aircraft carrier costs 30,000 schools?

                    Ron
                    PS The mayor of New Orleans has been doing some great complaining,
                    but the finger pointing is just starting. Maybe we should re-name
                    the place Atlantis.

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                    wrote:

                    > It's a matter of taking a short term view of a long term problem.
                    > While N.O. would have paid more for a better flood system, which
                    may > have cost some schools or some other program, maybe their city
                    would > be back to normal today.

                    > Colin
                  • gergely
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                      Hey this is supposed to be a non-political site! That last post sure looks
                      like a political post.

                      Check this site and see over 200 New Orleans school buses sitting under
                      water. They ciould have easily evacuated over 6000 people. Probably many
                      other similar sites. The mayor had complete authority to use them to
                      evacuate those who couldn't leave.

                      Jack Gergely
                      Newport News - home of those aircraft carriers.

                      wrote:

                      > It's a matter of taking a short term view of a long term problem.
                      > While N.O. would have paid more for a better flood system, which
                      may > have cost some schools or some other program, maybe their city
                      would > be back to normal today.

                      > Colin

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Claudia Medvik
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                        Oh thank you Michelle! Its so good to hear some good news!!!!

                        Claudia
                        >Lots of countries have offered and are giving help. Even Sri Lanka, which is
                        still recovering from the tsunami, made a donation. Go to
                        http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/katrina.world/index.html<http://wwwcnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/02/katrina.world/index.html>
                        for more info.

                        Michelle Maco Mader
                        Cleveland, Ohio USA

                      • Gregory J Kopchak
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
                          Claudia:

                          I Think all I can ask that everyone on Slovak-World say
                          a prayer today for the victims.

                          I worked for several years with stores in the New Orleans
                          area. I actually saw several on CNN this week.

                          The show window of the store next to our Burt's Shoes on
                          Canal Street was being used as a staging area for the
                          dead.

                          It took a toll on me.

                          Greg Kopchak
                          It's All Relative

[...]

                          Service.

                        • Michelle A Mader
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                            I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking in. Kuwait has sent
                            $500 million and Qurat $100 million.

                            Michelle Maco Mader
                            Cleveland, Ohio USA

                            At 06:30 PM 9/2/2005 -0400, you wrote:
                            >Oh thank you Michelle! Its so good to hear some good news!!!!
                            >
                            >Claudia

                          • Martin Votruba
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                              > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
                              > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million

                              That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
                              that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
                              300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
                              help a disaster area oveseas. And that's without factoring
                              in the difference in the per-capita GDP between Kuwait and the US.
                              Washngton's total annual foreign aid budget is about $15 bil.

                              Martin

                              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                            • sandman6294
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@y...>
                                wrote:
                                > > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
                                > > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million
                                >
                                > That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
                                > that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
                                > 300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
                                > help a disaster area oveseas.

                                That's about 7.7MB (Mega Barrels) of oil. In addition to showing
                                compassion, it's a wise investment considering its neighbors and past
                                history.

                                RU
                              • sandman6294
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "sandman6294" <sandman6294@y...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@y...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > > > I read yesterday that even the middle east is checking
                                  > > > in. Kuwait has sent $500 million
                                  > >
                                  > > That's an astonishing amount in relative terms, Michelle. Given
                                  > > that Kuwait's population is 2.3 mil. and the US has close to
                                  > > 300 mil. inhabitants, it is as if the US sent $63 billion(!) to
                                  > > help a disaster area oveseas.
                                  >
                                  > That's about 7.7MB (Mega Barrels) of oil. In addition to showing
                                  > compassion, it's a wise investment considering its neighbors and past
                                  > history.
                                  >
                                  > RU

                                  Forgot to add "Daily oil usage in the United States is 19MB of oil per
                                  day.

                                  RU