OT Is everyone OK after Katrina?

  • Claudia Medvik
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 30 7:09 PM
      Just worrying... is everyone OK after Katrina?

      Claudia
      Warren, MI

    • hazu8595@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 30 8:17 PM
        > From: "Claudia Medvik" <cmedvik@...>
        > Date: 2005/08/30 Tue PM 09:09:16 CDT
        > To: "Slovak-World" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [Slovak-World] OT Is everyone OK after Katrina?

        Hi S-W,
        That question will bring out this 'lurker'. [ I was formerly active on the "Old S-W" in the late '90's. ]
        Yes, I'm Ok, but a hugh number others are not! I'm in Pensacola (of Hurricane Ivan and Dennis fame!) where we caught the far eastern edge of Katrina. I'm doing great now. Below is the "status" msg I sent to family.

        Jim Hazuga, Sr. in Pensacola FL at: mailto:hazu8595@...
        Searching for: HAZUGA and spelling variations such as
        HAZUKA, HAZUDA, HAZUPA, etc. who emigrated from, or near,
        Nagy Dobra, (Hungary) Slovakia. I have over 200 baptism (birth),
        marriage, and death records for the period 1764-1911. Ask me!

        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

        Katrina was a piece of cake! .... for me in Pensacola at least. But I'm sure
        glad I wasn't in places like Gulfport, Biloxi MS or New Orleans. That was
        some EXTREEM stuff over there. Worse than our Ivan last Fall.

        For me it was easy. Sunday I did my yard clean up and bought a few easy
        groceries. I'd gotten two five gal cans of gas the day before; That was a
        bit of challenge.............After finding a station with gas, waited in line
        15 mins and then could get only premium gas.

        Lost power at 3:30am Monday............Seems way too early. It tried
        valiently 5 or six times to return, but got knowed off in seconds. By 8am,
        over 80,000 homes were without power in Escambia County. Some are still out today, Tuesday.

        Early Monday morning it was overcast with occassional rain, but by mid-morning
        it got quite dark, plus more rain. Wind got rougher too.....still from the
        East. About 11am the wind started to shift toward the ESE and get stronger.
        About this time my neighbor came over to start my power generator. When we
        went through the laundry room door to the garage, I got a shock. My garage
        door was UP! And raining in! It must have been open ever since we had
        those power fluctuations back at 3:30am!

        I then set up three lines. One to bedroom for my breathng equipment and a
        light, one to the garage door opener, and one to kitchen for refrigerator,
        computer, cordless phone, and a TV.

        Then I went back to sleep from 2 to 6pm. Woke up to learn that power was
        back on! Still blowing like crazy, and now coming from the south, but the
        world was right-side-up again as far as I was concerned........I had
        electric! Did all my electrical disconnects / change backs, but will leave
        the cord roll-up till Tuesday. Left the generator running because I wanted to
        run it dry before putting it back in storage.

        About 8:30pm, I got a knock at front door. There was the Fire Dept, about 4
        guys, lights flashing and all. They were checking to see if I had carbon
        monoxided myself. Turns out a neighbor had stopped by to check on me while I
        was sleeping and couldn't rouse me.....and feared the worst. While the fireman
        was talking with me at the door, he was also extending his arm into the room
        with a CO detector. Came up clean! So I owe a "thank you" to someone out
        there for worrying.
      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 31 6:13 AM
          Thanks for the report, Jim. Glad to hear you came through so well.
          Reading you experience makes it all a lot more personal.

          Ron

> [...]
          had
          > electric! Did all my electrical disconnects / change backs, but
          will leave
          > the cord roll-up till Tuesday. Left the generator running because
          I wanted to
          > run it dry before putting it back in storage.
          >
          > About 8:30pm, I got a knock at front door. There was the Fire
          Dept, about 4
          > guys, lights flashing and all. They were checking to see if I had
          carbon
          > monoxided myself. Turns out a neighbor had stopped by to check on
          me while I
          > was sleeping and couldn't rouse me.....and feared the worst. While
          the fireman
          > was talking with me at the door, he was also extending his arm
          into the room
          > with a CO detector. Came up clean! So I owe a "thank you" to
        • Bill
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 31 7:40 AM
            Funny, not too many SK people settled in LA or MS... Or perhaps they
            are not too chatty!
          • Scott T. Mikusko
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 31 1:32 PM
              On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Bill wrote:

              > Funny, not too many SK people settled in LA or MS... Or perhaps they
              > are not too chatty!

              Or they have no power.

              -S
            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 31 1:42 PM
                lol so true Scott, it's almost a sacriledge to mention
                this . . . but the weather here in Chicago couldn't be
                more perfect -- i know that's bad, but all's well here
                in Chitown. My firm started a race for donations to
                the Red Cross -- the lawyers are trying to top each
                other's contributions and it's in the thousands now,
                so we're doing our part to help out, how about other
                areas, tell us what you and your areas are doing.

                Caye

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • AltoClar@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 31 6:24 PM
                  Miami, FL Hurricane Check --

                  All is well here. Nothing compared to the folks in the Gulf Coast region!!

                  Jim, I noticed the variations on the spelling of your name. I grew up in
                  Erie, PA, and our priest at our church was Ronald Hazuda.

                  Sue

                • Michelle Burke
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
                    My firm is having a "Jeans Day" (we're already casual) tomorrow, and will match contributions.