Re: Hospitality and elsewhere

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2005
      > If correct, it provides a bit more information that is helpful
      > in analyzing the rationale of the pollees.

      Thanks, RU. Slovak social scientist often like to explain Slovakia
      as different from the rest of the region. They hardly ever carry out
      or quote cross-border comparative studies, except occasionally
      Slovak--Czech. I suspect that that is the main reason for their
      common claims of uniqueness. E.g., the interviewee in the article
      you quote was in charge of the Slovak part of an extensive
      international comparative research about a decade ago, and partly
      made the Slovak results incompatible with other countries, and partly
      filed them away and said almost nothing about them.

      Another new comparative take on a related topic, people's
      satisfaction in Slovakia and other post-com countries, is reported in
      the current issue of The Economist. This week, their site
      <www.economist.com> allows everyone to read the restricted content if
      you first click through an ad. It's in the "Finance and Economics"
      section. The article is labeled "The economics of happiness" on
      their web page (in the magazine, it's called Change and decy:
      Happiness in eastern Europe is a complicated business).

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu