Re: [Slovak-World]Olden days and the luxury of cloth

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
      And in cities, there was the professional diaper service company. A real
      public service.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2003
        Dear Fellow Slovaks:
        I can't help but put my 2 cents worth in...I was the oldest child of
        Slovak parents and helped raise my younger siblings. I also raised 4
        children of my own. I was taught by my Mother who learned from her
        Mother and so on thru the generations. Some things stay the same. I
        suspect most of us had similiar upbringings. None of my children ever
        wore throw away diapers. (I agree with whoever said they are not
        disposable but linger for eons in our landfills). We used only cloth
        diapers and first dunked them in the toilet to "Pre-clean" them,
        wrung them out by hand then soaked them in a diaper pail with a
        little Dreft Laundry Detergent. I then washed them in my Maytag
        washer using the hottest water available. Three washings for my
        daughter who had extremely fair and tender skin.
        Commercial baby food was rarely bought and only for emergencies. We
        made our own. Slovak chicken soup with the vegetables, noodles and
        broth mashed fine and stored in the freezer in little margarine cups
        with lids was a particular favorite so was venison stew since my
        husband loved to hunt.
        However, in defense of modern day Mother's in today's economy - I was
        a stay at home Mom. My husband supported us very well on his salary
        alone. Now he's retired, the children are all grown and I work. We
        just had our 43rd anniversary. I feel very sad that today's young
        Mom's have to work to make ends meet. I'm sure the hardest thing
        they've ever had to do was put that precious baby in the hands of
        someone else to care for while they earn a living. I was blessed.
        Regards to you all...I love reading your posts.
        Barbara
        PS: My Gramma Cerveny wore knickers - My Mom wore nothing. :o)

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, brieuc@a... wrote:
        > Dear Claudia:
        >
        > To answer your question about how those of us who had babies in
        the "Stone
        > Age" (before disposable diapers) handled the waste disposal, so to
        speak, we
        > used cloth diapers and we washed them and used them over and over
        and over
        > again....
        >
        > Of course there were disposables but they were very expensive and
        we only
        > wildly splurged and bought them if we were going to take the infant
        on a trip.

        > But then we were also the early Stone Age mothers who never bought
        infant
        > pastuerized, sanitized, vitamin-added imitation milk formula in the
        > grocery-store. We simply used the old-fashioned method for this
        also. And,
        > surprisingly, our babies raely got sick. There were actually some
        things
        > that really worked well in the old days.
        >
        > Laverne
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2003
          Same here -- and I'm not even a mother, an aunt, yes -- but a mother -- no. I was raised this same way and I haven't been what I consider "sick" since 2nd grade -- going on 42 and freezing (but not shoveling) here in Chicago.
          Caye

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT