Re: [Slovak-World]Olden days and the luxury of cloth

  • Nick Holcz
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
      At 02:39 PM 1/03/2003 -0500, you wrote:
      >Dear William,
      >
      >Forgive me, but I am always curious how peoples dealt the problem of
      >diapers. Nowadays that is the one unavoidable odorous occasion even we
      >cannot avoid, no matter how rich or poor. Disposable diapers are a constant
      >joke in movies, but how we lived before them seems impossible to comprehend
      >or even a consider as a possibility! A mother's love must truly indeed be a
      >powerful thing, for I can't imagine any other reason for dealing with volume
      >of 'output' one infant can produce without disposable diapers. To our modern
      >sensibilities, it is a miracle we ever lived past the Stone Ages !!! Do you
      >have any memories how this was handled by our formidable ancestors?
      >
      >Claudia
      >
      >Disposable diapers? what is disposable about them? they live in the
      >landfill forever. before them which in is not that long ago ( our kids
      >never had them) we washed and dried cloth diapers ( fathers love their
      >babies as well you know) .

      Nick
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
        And in cities, there was the professional diaper service company. A real
        public service.

      • barbara13140 <bhardin@tds.net>
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2003
          Dear Fellow Slovaks:
          I can't help but put my 2 cents worth in...I was the oldest child of
          Slovak parents and helped raise my younger siblings. I also raised 4
          children of my own. I was taught by my Mother who learned from her
          Mother and so on thru the generations. Some things stay the same. I
          suspect most of us had similiar upbringings. None of my children ever
          wore throw away diapers. (I agree with whoever said they are not
          disposable but linger for eons in our landfills). We used only cloth
          diapers and first dunked them in the toilet to "Pre-clean" them,
          wrung them out by hand then soaked them in a diaper pail with a
          little Dreft Laundry Detergent. I then washed them in my Maytag
          washer using the hottest water available. Three washings for my
          daughter who had extremely fair and tender skin.
          Commercial baby food was rarely bought and only for emergencies. We
          made our own. Slovak chicken soup with the vegetables, noodles and
          broth mashed fine and stored in the freezer in little margarine cups
          with lids was a particular favorite so was venison stew since my
          husband loved to hunt.
          However, in defense of modern day Mother's in today's economy - I was
          a stay at home Mom. My husband supported us very well on his salary
          alone. Now he's retired, the children are all grown and I work. We
          just had our 43rd anniversary. I feel very sad that today's young
          Mom's have to work to make ends meet. I'm sure the hardest thing
          they've ever had to do was put that precious baby in the hands of
          someone else to care for while they earn a living. I was blessed.
          Regards to you all...I love reading your posts.
          Barbara
          PS: My Gramma Cerveny wore knickers - My Mom wore nothing. :o)

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, brieuc@a... wrote:
          > Dear Claudia:
          >
          > To answer your question about how those of us who had babies in
          the "Stone
          > Age" (before disposable diapers) handled the waste disposal, so to
          speak, we
          > used cloth diapers and we washed them and used them over and over
          and over
          > again....
          >
          > Of course there were disposables but they were very expensive and
          we only
          > wildly splurged and bought them if we were going to take the infant
          on a trip.

          > But then we were also the early Stone Age mothers who never bought
          infant
          > pastuerized, sanitized, vitamin-added imitation milk formula in the
          > grocery-store. We simply used the old-fashioned method for this
          also. And,
          > surprisingly, our babies raely got sick. There were actually some
          things
          > that really worked well in the old days.
          >
          > Laverne
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2003
            Same here -- and I'm not even a mother, an aunt, yes -- but a mother -- no. I was raised this same way and I haven't been what I consider "sick" since 2nd grade -- going on 42 and freezing (but not shoveling) here in Chicago.
            Caye

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT