Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [Slovak-World]Olden days and the luxury of cloth

Expand Messages
  • Claudia Medvik
    Sorry, no offense intended. It was a strictly anthropological question. Native Americans used moss as an substitute for fabric, and the rural Chinese even
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
      Sorry, no offense intended. It was a strictly anthropological question. Native Americans used moss as an substitute for fabric, and the rural Chinese even today allow their toddlers to run around outside in shoes and a top and that's all.

      As for cloth diapers, I have repeatedly apologized to my parents every time they bring up those family stories that as an infant I tested their lung capacity while changing me. On the other hand, my Mother always bragged of the tan she got while hanging out diapers to dry.

      Or perhaps my interest is rather in not having the opportunity to have babies of my own to gather my own er,,, research.

      Thanks Mom,
      Claudia
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Jan Lan
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 6:09 PM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World]Olden days and the luxury of cloth


      At 03:27 PM 3/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
      >Dear Claudia:
      >
      >To answer your question about how those of us who had babies in the "Stone
      >Age" (before disposable diapers) handled the waste disposal, so to speak, we
      >used cloth diapers and we washed them and used them over and over and over
      >again....

      They did have Diaper Service for the affluent. We used cotton diapers,
      diaper pails and a Maytag that took a licking, from a family of six, but
      kept on ticking for years.

      Janko


      __________________________________________________
      Do you Yahoo!?
      Yahoo! Tax Center - forms, calculators, tips, more
      http://taxes.yahoo.com/

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      ADVERTISEMENT




      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      Slovak-World-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com



      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Nick Holcz
      ... Nick
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
        At 02:39 PM 1/03/2003 -0500, you wrote:
        >Dear William,
        >
        >Forgive me, but I am always curious how peoples dealt the problem of
        >diapers. Nowadays that is the one unavoidable odorous occasion even we
        >cannot avoid, no matter how rich or poor. Disposable diapers are a constant
        >joke in movies, but how we lived before them seems impossible to comprehend
        >or even a consider as a possibility! A mother's love must truly indeed be a
        >powerful thing, for I can't imagine any other reason for dealing with volume
        >of 'output' one infant can produce without disposable diapers. To our modern
        >sensibilities, it is a miracle we ever lived past the Stone Ages !!! Do you
        >have any memories how this was handled by our formidable ancestors?
        >
        >Claudia
        >
        >Disposable diapers? what is disposable about them? they live in the
        >landfill forever. before them which in is not that long ago ( our kids
        >never had them) we washed and dried cloth diapers ( fathers love their
        >babies as well you know) .


        Nick
      • Andrea Vangor
        And in cities, there was the professional diaper service company. A real public service. ... From: Nick Holcz To:
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
          And in cities, there was the professional diaper service company. A real
          public service.


          ----- Original Message -----
          From: "Nick Holcz" <nickh@...>
          To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
          Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 8:45 PM
          Subject: Re: [Slovak-World]Olden days and the luxury of cloth


          > At 02:39 PM 1/03/2003 -0500, you wrote:
          > >Dear William,
          > >
          > >Forgive me, but I am always curious how peoples dealt the problem of
          > >diapers. Nowadays that is the one unavoidable odorous occasion even we
          > >cannot avoid, no matter how rich or poor. Disposable diapers are a
          constant
          > >joke in movies, but how we lived before them seems impossible to
          comprehend
          > >or even a consider as a possibility! A mother's love must truly indeed
          be a
          > >powerful thing, for I can't imagine any other reason for dealing with
          volume
          > >of 'output' one infant can produce without disposable diapers. To our
          modern
          > >sensibilities, it is a miracle we ever lived past the Stone Ages !!! Do
          you
          > >have any memories how this was handled by our formidable ancestors?
          > >
          > >Claudia
          > >
          > >Disposable diapers? what is disposable about them? they live in the
          > >landfill forever. before them which in is not that long ago ( our kids
          > >never had them) we washed and dried cloth diapers ( fathers love their
          > >babies as well you know) .
          >
          >
          > Nick
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          > Slovak-World-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >
          >
          >
          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          >
          >
        • barbara13140 <bhardin@tds.net>
          Dear Fellow Slovaks: I can t help but put my 2 cents worth in...I was the oldest child of Slovak parents and helped raise my younger siblings. I also raised 4
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2003
            Dear Fellow Slovaks:
            I can't help but put my 2 cents worth in...I was the oldest child of
            Slovak parents and helped raise my younger siblings. I also raised 4
            children of my own. I was taught by my Mother who learned from her
            Mother and so on thru the generations. Some things stay the same. I
            suspect most of us had similiar upbringings. None of my children ever
            wore throw away diapers. (I agree with whoever said they are not
            disposable but linger for eons in our landfills). We used only cloth
            diapers and first dunked them in the toilet to "Pre-clean" them,
            wrung them out by hand then soaked them in a diaper pail with a
            little Dreft Laundry Detergent. I then washed them in my Maytag
            washer using the hottest water available. Three washings for my
            daughter who had extremely fair and tender skin.
            Commercial baby food was rarely bought and only for emergencies. We
            made our own. Slovak chicken soup with the vegetables, noodles and
            broth mashed fine and stored in the freezer in little margarine cups
            with lids was a particular favorite so was venison stew since my
            husband loved to hunt.
            However, in defense of modern day Mother's in today's economy - I was
            a stay at home Mom. My husband supported us very well on his salary
            alone. Now he's retired, the children are all grown and I work. We
            just had our 43rd anniversary. I feel very sad that today's young
            Mom's have to work to make ends meet. I'm sure the hardest thing
            they've ever had to do was put that precious baby in the hands of
            someone else to care for while they earn a living. I was blessed.
            Regards to you all...I love reading your posts.
            Barbara
            PS: My Gramma Cerveny wore knickers - My Mom wore nothing. :o)




            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, brieuc@a... wrote:
            > Dear Claudia:
            >
            > To answer your question about how those of us who had babies in
            the "Stone
            > Age" (before disposable diapers) handled the waste disposal, so to
            speak, we
            > used cloth diapers and we washed them and used them over and over
            and over
            > again....
            >
            > Of course there were disposables but they were very expensive and
            we only
            > wildly splurged and bought them if we were going to take the infant
            on a trip.
            >
            > But then we were also the early Stone Age mothers who never bought
            infant
            > pastuerized, sanitized, vitamin-added imitation milk formula in the
            > grocery-store. We simply used the old-fashioned method for this
            also. And,
            > surprisingly, our babies raely got sick. There were actually some
            things
            > that really worked well in the old days.
            >
            > Laverne
          • Caye Caswick
            Same here -- and I m not even a mother, an aunt, yes -- but a mother -- no. I was raised this same way and I haven t been what I consider sick since 2nd
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2003
              Same here -- and I'm not even a mother, an aunt, yes -- but a mother -- no. I was raised this same way and I haven't been what I consider "sick" since 2nd grade -- going on 42 and freezing (but not shoveling) here in Chicago.
              Caye

              "barbara13140 <bhardin@...>" <bhardin@...> wrote:Dear Fellow Slovaks:
              I can't help but put my 2 cents worth in...I was the oldest child of
              Slovak parents and helped raise my younger siblings. I also raised 4
              children of my own. I was taught by my Mother who learned from her
              Mother and so on thru the generations. Some things stay the same. I
              suspect most of us had similiar upbringings. None of my children ever
              wore throw away diapers. (I agree with whoever said they are not
              disposable but linger for eons in our landfills). We used only cloth
              diapers and first dunked them in the toilet to "Pre-clean" them,
              wrung them out by hand then soaked them in a diaper pail with a
              little Dreft Laundry Detergent. I then washed them in my Maytag
              washer using the hottest water available. Three washings for my
              daughter who had extremely fair and tender skin.
              Commercial baby food was rarely bought and only for emergencies. We
              made our own. Slovak chicken soup with the vegetables, noodles and
              broth mashed fine and stored in the freezer in little margarine cups
              with lids was a particular favorite so was venison stew since my
              husband loved to hunt.
              However, in defense of modern day Mother's in today's economy - I was
              a stay at home Mom. My husband supported us very well on his salary
              alone. Now he's retired, the children are all grown and I work. We
              just had our 43rd anniversary. I feel very sad that today's young
              Mom's have to work to make ends meet. I'm sure the hardest thing
              they've ever had to do was put that precious baby in the hands of
              someone else to care for while they earn a living. I was blessed.
              Regards to you all...I love reading your posts.
              Barbara
              PS: My Gramma Cerveny wore knickers - My Mom wore nothing. :o)




              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, brieuc@a... wrote:
              > Dear Claudia:
              >
              > To answer your question about how those of us who had babies in
              the "Stone
              > Age" (before disposable diapers) handled the waste disposal, so to
              speak, we
              > used cloth diapers and we washed them and used them over and over
              and over
              > again....
              >
              > Of course there were disposables but they were very expensive and
              we only
              > wildly splurged and bought them if we were going to take the infant
              on a trip.
              >
              > But then we were also the early Stone Age mothers who never bought
              infant
              > pastuerized, sanitized, vitamin-added imitation milk formula in the
              > grocery-store. We simply used the old-fashioned method for this
              also. And,
              > surprisingly, our babies raely got sick. There were actually some
              things
              > that really worked well in the old days.
              >
              > Laverne


              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              Slovak-World-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com



              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.



              ---------------------------------
              Do you Yahoo!?
              Yahoo! Tax Center - forms, calculators, tips, and more

              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.