RE: [Slovak-World] Spelling Reforms

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
      At 04:35 PM 8/2/2005 -0400, you wrote:
      >Oh dear, we'd be the two most unpopular people in the whole of
      >Slovakia! Newspapers would write nasty stories about us, and children
      >would point and laugh at us on the streets! "Look, those are the two
      >foolish Americans who can't spell "knihy!" They'd deport us for sure!
      >
      >Joe A.

      Hmmm, now I'm re-thinking my support of your proposal.......although
      Slovaks already laugh at me, every time I attempt to speak the language..... ;)

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Taoz@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
        Julie,
        I'm a little surprized at what you said about Slovaks laughing at your
        attempt to speak their language. I've not had that experience.
        I haven't heard the language spoken for many, many years. But when I was
        over there and tried it, I know I had problems. I could get along with things
        about the home or the garden but I certainly couldn't get along in a
        political or a philosophical discussion. Also, I'm sure that I was speaking very
        ungrammatically as I really don't remember the endings of the words as they
        should be. However, nobody ever laughed. They were delighted that I tried my
        best to make myself known. My cousins and their children, when I tried to
        apologize for my lack of knowledge, just said, "Ale, stric^o, vas pochopime."
        That was good enough for me. Even in Prague they understood me. I'm still
        amazed at how much came out of me during our 2 visits.
        Julie, keep at it. They are happy you are doing as much as you can.
        Pavel

      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
          > wouldn't it affect the pronunciation of certain preceding
          > consonants, eg such as t, d, l, being softened before a
          > short "i" but not before "y"

          It would be no different from what it already is before the _e_s,
          Julie. The t, d, n is palatal in words like _tehla_ _dej_, _nema_;
          and on the other hand in _ten_, _teda_, _teraz_, or in borrowed words
          like _telefon_, etc., the t, d, n, are not palatal. Yet, nothing
          indicates how to pronounce them. You simply have to know. Likewise,
          they aren't palatal before the _i_s in borrowed words like
          _univerzita_, _sanitka_, etc., without any indication of their
          "hardness."

          > we'd be the two most unpopular people in the whole of
          > Slovakia

          No such quick rise to fame, Joe. You'd be in a sizeable group of
          Slovaks who support such a reform. And more than that -- you'd be
          spelling it the way the venerable founder of the modern spelling
          reform, the celebrated activist Ludovit Stur, did it in the 1840s.

          His system was adopted. Newspapers and books were published without
          the _y_s and with each palatal d, t, n, marked (Stur considered the
          palatal _l_ an uncouth sound and left it out of his spelling).
          Stur's excellent spelling system was ruined with the (re)introduction
          of the _y_s and a few other messy things about a decade later.

          There have been several attempts since then to go back to Stur's
          standard, most recently, although not particularly forcefully, after
          the collapse of communism, but the defenders of the status quo
          prevailed each time.

          But a _y_ is replaced by an _i_ now and then in the Slovak manual of
          style. For example, in 1953, all the plurals of the past tenses were
          switched to _-li_. Before, it was -li for masculine subjects and -ly
          for feminine and neuter subjects; _syrup_ was changed to _sirup_ in
          the 1960s; _oxyd_ to _oxid_ in the 1980s, etc.

          All tragically important, because when a student gets even a single
          i/y wrong in a writing test at school, s/he can never get an A. It's
          considered one of the most grievous errors (the internet is swarming
          with them, of course).

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu