Re: News Story: Skoda named most reliable European Car

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
      Yea, it is ironic that VW was the original naziwaggon and it has
      done so well. Even the Ruskies refused to take the factory as war
      reparations. Come to think of it, there are accusations that Porche
      stole the Tatra design and applied it to the Beetle.

      It was quite a shock to see that even German magazines pan their own
      cars. That was one of the most chauvenistic features of Germans
      before - their cars were always rated higly, the "Japser" were
      scorned by the magazines, if not the public, and the American cars
      were not worth a mention. One time Mercedes came out with a new,
      bery big car with one big mistake - the suspension was poorly
      designed and this big limo was only rated to carry three people &
      baggage and a full tank fo gas cut into the carrying capacity. The
      German auto magazines wrote it up as "na, tja, eveyone makes a small
      mistake now and then". Times have changed. Once VW acquired Skoda
      they aimed it at the lower middle class of the car market. That
      still leaves it unaffordable for most Czech workers. At one time I
      figured the basic Skoda cost a Czech laborer five years gross
      wages. Years later I figured it at two years gross wages. So if
      you can call that an improvement, eventually the workers willb e
      able to afford one! By then our living standards will sink to their
      level and we will all be equal.

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "gergely" <gergely@v...> wrote:
      > I've noticed several in Germany in the last few years. They look
      really
      > nice and well built. I believe VW owns Skoda now. Which could
      explain the
      > high quality.
      >
      > Jack Gergely

      European
      > Car
      >

      > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
      >
      > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
      xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

      > No longer a pity!
      >
      > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
      >
      > Tony P
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • raybravo2000
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
        Ferdinand Poresche was friendly with the chief designer at Tatra
        and admitted that he did steal some the design of the Tatra for
        the VW. There was a lawsuit which was filed before the war and
        finally settled in favor of Tatra in the 1960's.

        http://www.tatra.demon.nl/cars_history_T97.htm

        The real irony of Skoda is that while the French and British sold
        out Czechoslovakia one third of the tanks that were used to
        invade France were Skoda designs. The Germans knew the
        Skoda tanks were better than their tanks at that time.

        Colin

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...>