Re: News Story: Skoda named most reliable European Car

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
      Tony,

      I have also seen mention of Skoda in Canada.

      Ron

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
      > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
      >
      > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
      xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

      > No longer a pity!
      >
      > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
      >
      > Tony P
    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
        Tony,

        I have also seen mention of Skoda in Canada.

        Ron

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
        > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
        >
        > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
        xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

        > No longer a pity!
        >
        > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
        >
        > Tony P
      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
          Yea, it is ironic that VW was the original naziwaggon and it has
          done so well. Even the Ruskies refused to take the factory as war
          reparations. Come to think of it, there are accusations that Porche
          stole the Tatra design and applied it to the Beetle.

          It was quite a shock to see that even German magazines pan their own
          cars. That was one of the most chauvenistic features of Germans
          before - their cars were always rated higly, the "Japser" were
          scorned by the magazines, if not the public, and the American cars
          were not worth a mention. One time Mercedes came out with a new,
          bery big car with one big mistake - the suspension was poorly
          designed and this big limo was only rated to carry three people &
          baggage and a full tank fo gas cut into the carrying capacity. The
          German auto magazines wrote it up as "na, tja, eveyone makes a small
          mistake now and then". Times have changed. Once VW acquired Skoda
          they aimed it at the lower middle class of the car market. That
          still leaves it unaffordable for most Czech workers. At one time I
          figured the basic Skoda cost a Czech laborer five years gross
          wages. Years later I figured it at two years gross wages. So if
          you can call that an improvement, eventually the workers willb e
          able to afford one! By then our living standards will sink to their
          level and we will all be equal.

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "gergely" <gergely@v...> wrote:
          > I've noticed several in Germany in the last few years. They look
          really
          > nice and well built. I believe VW owns Skoda now. Which could
          explain the
          > high quality.
          >
          > Jack Gergely

          European
          > Car
          >

          > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
          >
          > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
          xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

          > No longer a pity!
          >
          > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
          >
          > Tony P
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
        • raybravo2000
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
            Ferdinand Poresche was friendly with the chief designer at Tatra
            and admitted that he did steal some the design of the Tatra for
            the VW. There was a lawsuit which was filed before the war and
            finally settled in favor of Tatra in the 1960's.

            http://www.tatra.demon.nl/cars_history_T97.htm

            The real irony of Skoda is that while the French and British sold
            out Czechoslovakia one third of the tanks that were used to
            invade France were Skoda designs. The Germans knew the
            Skoda tanks were better than their tanks at that time.

            Colin

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...>