Re: News Story: Skoda named most reliable European Car

  • raybravo2000
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2 9:33 AM
      Yes, the new Skodas are impressive, and they are on display in
      the Prague airport, so they are very proud of them. I have also
      noticed that since the company is owned at least in part by VW
      they do share some styling and I assume some of the same
      Quality Control as well. I also noticed with the older Skodas that
      they reminded me of FIAT models. I owned a FIAT 128 and
      when I rode in the Skoda L106 the dashboard, size, and general
      layout reminded me of my old FIAT. The Favorite reminds me of
      the older FIAT Strada or (Ritmo). In the Techincal Museum in
      Prague there is a Sport model of the Skoda 106 which also
      looks like a older FIAT 850 Sport Coupe (not the sypder).

      As to why they aren't sold here. Well, I can think of one problem,
      the name. VW could bring them over but they would need a new
      Anglosized name plate, or maybe one of those made up names
      like Accura, Integra, Achiva, Impressa, etc. I propose: Budwisa,
      or Urquela. They already have name recognition. How about
      just "Brewer".

      Colin

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
      > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph
      newspaper:

      http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/0
      8/02/ncars02.xml

      > No longer a pity!
      >
      > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
      >
      > Tony P
    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2 1:18 PM
        Tony,

        I have also seen mention of Skoda in Canada.

        Ron

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
        > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
        >
        > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
        xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

        > No longer a pity!
        >
        > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
        >
        > Tony P
      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2 1:18 PM
          Tony,

          I have also seen mention of Skoda in Canada.

          Ron

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
          > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
          >
          > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
          xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

          > No longer a pity!
          >
          > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
          >
          > Tony P
        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2 1:30 PM
            Yea, it is ironic that VW was the original naziwaggon and it has
            done so well. Even the Ruskies refused to take the factory as war
            reparations. Come to think of it, there are accusations that Porche
            stole the Tatra design and applied it to the Beetle.

            It was quite a shock to see that even German magazines pan their own
            cars. That was one of the most chauvenistic features of Germans
            before - their cars were always rated higly, the "Japser" were
            scorned by the magazines, if not the public, and the American cars
            were not worth a mention. One time Mercedes came out with a new,
            bery big car with one big mistake - the suspension was poorly
            designed and this big limo was only rated to carry three people &
            baggage and a full tank fo gas cut into the carrying capacity. The
            German auto magazines wrote it up as "na, tja, eveyone makes a small
            mistake now and then". Times have changed. Once VW acquired Skoda
            they aimed it at the lower middle class of the car market. That
            still leaves it unaffordable for most Czech workers. At one time I
            figured the basic Skoda cost a Czech laborer five years gross
            wages. Years later I figured it at two years gross wages. So if
            you can call that an improvement, eventually the workers willb e
            able to afford one! By then our living standards will sink to their
            level and we will all be equal.

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "gergely" <gergely@v...> wrote:
            > I've noticed several in Germany in the last few years. They look
            really
            > nice and well built. I believe VW owns Skoda now. Which could
            explain the
            > high quality.
            >
            > Jack Gergely

            European
            > Car
            >

            > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
            >
            > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
            xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

            > No longer a pity!
            >
            > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
            >
            > Tony P
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
          • raybravo2000
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2 7:47 PM
              Ferdinand Poresche was friendly with the chief designer at Tatra
              and admitted that he did steal some the design of the Tatra for
              the VW. There was a lawsuit which was filed before the war and
              finally settled in favor of Tatra in the 1960's.

              http://www.tatra.demon.nl/cars_history_T97.htm

              The real irony of Skoda is that while the French and British sold
              out Czechoslovakia one third of the tanks that were used to
              invade France were Skoda designs. The Germans knew the
              Skoda tanks were better than their tanks at that time.

              Colin

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...>