Re: News Story: Skoda named most reliable European Car

  • sandman6294
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
      > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
      >
      > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
      xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

      > No longer a pity!
      >
      > So why aren't they sold in the USA?

      Ano, to je s^koda.

      RU
    • raybravo2000
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
        Yes, the new Skodas are impressive, and they are on display in
        the Prague airport, so they are very proud of them. I have also
        noticed that since the company is owned at least in part by VW
        they do share some styling and I assume some of the same
        Quality Control as well. I also noticed with the older Skodas that
        they reminded me of FIAT models. I owned a FIAT 128 and
        when I rode in the Skoda L106 the dashboard, size, and general
        layout reminded me of my old FIAT. The Favorite reminds me of
        the older FIAT Strada or (Ritmo). In the Techincal Museum in
        Prague there is a Sport model of the Skoda 106 which also
        looks like a older FIAT 850 Sport Coupe (not the sypder).

        As to why they aren't sold here. Well, I can think of one problem,
        the name. VW could bring them over but they would need a new
        Anglosized name plate, or maybe one of those made up names
        like Accura, Integra, Achiva, Impressa, etc. I propose: Budwisa,
        or Urquela. They already have name recognition. How about
        just "Brewer".

        Colin

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
        > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph
        newspaper:

        http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/0
        8/02/ncars02.xml

        > No longer a pity!
        >
        > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
        >
        > Tony P
      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
          Tony,

          I have also seen mention of Skoda in Canada.

          Ron

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
          > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
          >
          > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
          xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

          > No longer a pity!
          >
          > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
          >
          > Tony P
        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
            Tony,

            I have also seen mention of Skoda in Canada.

            Ron

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
            > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
            >
            > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
            xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

            > No longer a pity!
            >
            > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
            >
            > Tony P
          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
              Yea, it is ironic that VW was the original naziwaggon and it has
              done so well. Even the Ruskies refused to take the factory as war
              reparations. Come to think of it, there are accusations that Porche
              stole the Tatra design and applied it to the Beetle.

              It was quite a shock to see that even German magazines pan their own
              cars. That was one of the most chauvenistic features of Germans
              before - their cars were always rated higly, the "Japser" were
              scorned by the magazines, if not the public, and the American cars
              were not worth a mention. One time Mercedes came out with a new,
              bery big car with one big mistake - the suspension was poorly
              designed and this big limo was only rated to carry three people &
              baggage and a full tank fo gas cut into the carrying capacity. The
              German auto magazines wrote it up as "na, tja, eveyone makes a small
              mistake now and then". Times have changed. Once VW acquired Skoda
              they aimed it at the lower middle class of the car market. That
              still leaves it unaffordable for most Czech workers. At one time I
              figured the basic Skoda cost a Czech laborer five years gross
              wages. Years later I figured it at two years gross wages. So if
              you can call that an improvement, eventually the workers willb e
              able to afford one! By then our living standards will sink to their
              level and we will all be equal.

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "gergely" <gergely@v...> wrote:
              > I've noticed several in Germany in the last few years. They look
              really
              > nice and well built. I believe VW owns Skoda now. Which could
              explain the
              > high quality.
              >
              > Jack Gergely

              European
              > Car
              >

              > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
              >
              > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
              xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

              > No longer a pity!
              >
              > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
              >
              > Tony P
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links
            • raybravo2000
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
                Ferdinand Poresche was friendly with the chief designer at Tatra
                and admitted that he did steal some the design of the Tatra for
                the VW. There was a lawsuit which was filed before the war and
                finally settled in favor of Tatra in the 1960's.

                http://www.tatra.demon.nl/cars_history_T97.htm

                The real irony of Skoda is that while the French and British sold
                out Czechoslovakia one third of the tanks that were used to
                invade France were Skoda designs. The Germans knew the
                Skoda tanks were better than their tanks at that time.

                Colin

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...>