RE: [Slovak-World] News Story: Skoda named most reliable European Car

  • gergely
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
      I've noticed several in Germany in the last few years. They look really
      nice and well built. I believe VW owns Skoda now. Which could explain the
      high quality.

      Jack Gergely

      Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:

      http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

      No longer a pity!

      So why aren't they sold in the USA?

      Tony P

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • sandman6294
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
        > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
        >
        > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
        xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

        > No longer a pity!
        >
        > So why aren't they sold in the USA?

        Ano, to je s^koda.

        RU
      • raybravo2000
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
          Yes, the new Skodas are impressive, and they are on display in
          the Prague airport, so they are very proud of them. I have also
          noticed that since the company is owned at least in part by VW
          they do share some styling and I assume some of the same
          Quality Control as well. I also noticed with the older Skodas that
          they reminded me of FIAT models. I owned a FIAT 128 and
          when I rode in the Skoda L106 the dashboard, size, and general
          layout reminded me of my old FIAT. The Favorite reminds me of
          the older FIAT Strada or (Ritmo). In the Techincal Museum in
          Prague there is a Sport model of the Skoda 106 which also
          looks like a older FIAT 850 Sport Coupe (not the sypder).

          As to why they aren't sold here. Well, I can think of one problem,
          the name. VW could bring them over but they would need a new
          Anglosized name plate, or maybe one of those made up names
          like Accura, Integra, Achiva, Impressa, etc. I propose: Budwisa,
          or Urquela. They already have name recognition. How about
          just "Brewer".

          Colin

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
          > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph
          newspaper:

          http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/0
          8/02/ncars02.xml

          > No longer a pity!
          >
          > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
          >
          > Tony P
        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
            Tony,

            I have also seen mention of Skoda in Canada.

            Ron

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
            > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
            >
            > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
            xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

            > No longer a pity!
            >
            > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
            >
            > Tony P
          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
              Tony,

              I have also seen mention of Skoda in Canada.

              Ron

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
              > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
              >
              > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
              xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

              > No longer a pity!
              >
              > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
              >
              > Tony P
            • amiak27
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
                Yea, it is ironic that VW was the original naziwaggon and it has
                done so well. Even the Ruskies refused to take the factory as war
                reparations. Come to think of it, there are accusations that Porche
                stole the Tatra design and applied it to the Beetle.

                It was quite a shock to see that even German magazines pan their own
                cars. That was one of the most chauvenistic features of Germans
                before - their cars were always rated higly, the "Japser" were
                scorned by the magazines, if not the public, and the American cars
                were not worth a mention. One time Mercedes came out with a new,
                bery big car with one big mistake - the suspension was poorly
                designed and this big limo was only rated to carry three people &
                baggage and a full tank fo gas cut into the carrying capacity. The
                German auto magazines wrote it up as "na, tja, eveyone makes a small
                mistake now and then". Times have changed. Once VW acquired Skoda
                they aimed it at the lower middle class of the car market. That
                still leaves it unaffordable for most Czech workers. At one time I
                figured the basic Skoda cost a Czech laborer five years gross
                wages. Years later I figured it at two years gross wages. So if
                you can call that an improvement, eventually the workers willb e
                able to afford one! By then our living standards will sink to their
                level and we will all be equal.

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "gergely" <gergely@v...> wrote:
                > I've noticed several in Germany in the last few years. They look
                really
                > nice and well built. I believe VW owns Skoda now. Which could
                explain the
                > high quality.
                >
                > Jack Gergely

                European
                > Car
                >

                > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
                >
                > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
                xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

                > No longer a pity!
                >
                > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
                >
                > Tony P
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links
              • raybravo2000
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
                  Ferdinand Poresche was friendly with the chief designer at Tatra
                  and admitted that he did steal some the design of the Tatra for
                  the VW. There was a lawsuit which was filed before the war and
                  finally settled in favor of Tatra in the 1960's.

                  http://www.tatra.demon.nl/cars_history_T97.htm

                  The real irony of Skoda is that while the French and British sold
                  out Czechoslovakia one third of the tanks that were used to
                  invade France were Skoda designs. The Germans knew the
                  Skoda tanks were better than their tanks at that time.

                  Colin

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...>