News Story: Skoda named most reliable European Car

  • agp
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
      Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:

      http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

      No longer a pity!

      So why aren't they sold in the USA?

      Tony P
    • gergely
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
        I've noticed several in Germany in the last few years. They look really
        nice and well built. I believe VW owns Skoda now. Which could explain the
        high quality.

        Jack Gergely

        Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:

        http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

        No longer a pity!

        So why aren't they sold in the USA?

        Tony P

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • sandman6294
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
          > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
          >
          > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
          xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

          > No longer a pity!
          >
          > So why aren't they sold in the USA?

          Ano, to je s^koda.

          RU
        • raybravo2000
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
            Yes, the new Skodas are impressive, and they are on display in
            the Prague airport, so they are very proud of them. I have also
            noticed that since the company is owned at least in part by VW
            they do share some styling and I assume some of the same
            Quality Control as well. I also noticed with the older Skodas that
            they reminded me of FIAT models. I owned a FIAT 128 and
            when I rode in the Skoda L106 the dashboard, size, and general
            layout reminded me of my old FIAT. The Favorite reminds me of
            the older FIAT Strada or (Ritmo). In the Techincal Museum in
            Prague there is a Sport model of the Skoda 106 which also
            looks like a older FIAT 850 Sport Coupe (not the sypder).

            As to why they aren't sold here. Well, I can think of one problem,
            the name. VW could bring them over but they would need a new
            Anglosized name plate, or maybe one of those made up names
            like Accura, Integra, Achiva, Impressa, etc. I propose: Budwisa,
            or Urquela. They already have name recognition. How about
            just "Brewer".

            Colin

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
            > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph
            newspaper:

            http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/0
            8/02/ncars02.xml

            > No longer a pity!
            >
            > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
            >
            > Tony P
          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
              Tony,

              I have also seen mention of Skoda in Canada.

              Ron

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
              > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
              >
              > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
              xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

              > No longer a pity!
              >
              > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
              >
              > Tony P
            • amiak27
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
                Tony,

                I have also seen mention of Skoda in Canada.

                Ron

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
                > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
                >
                > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
                xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

                > No longer a pity!
                >
                > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
                >
                > Tony P
              • amiak27
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
                  Yea, it is ironic that VW was the original naziwaggon and it has
                  done so well. Even the Ruskies refused to take the factory as war
                  reparations. Come to think of it, there are accusations that Porche
                  stole the Tatra design and applied it to the Beetle.

                  It was quite a shock to see that even German magazines pan their own
                  cars. That was one of the most chauvenistic features of Germans
                  before - their cars were always rated higly, the "Japser" were
                  scorned by the magazines, if not the public, and the American cars
                  were not worth a mention. One time Mercedes came out with a new,
                  bery big car with one big mistake - the suspension was poorly
                  designed and this big limo was only rated to carry three people &
                  baggage and a full tank fo gas cut into the carrying capacity. The
                  German auto magazines wrote it up as "na, tja, eveyone makes a small
                  mistake now and then". Times have changed. Once VW acquired Skoda
                  they aimed it at the lower middle class of the car market. That
                  still leaves it unaffordable for most Czech workers. At one time I
                  figured the basic Skoda cost a Czech laborer five years gross
                  wages. Years later I figured it at two years gross wages. So if
                  you can call that an improvement, eventually the workers willb e
                  able to afford one! By then our living standards will sink to their
                  level and we will all be equal.

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "gergely" <gergely@v...> wrote:
                  > I've noticed several in Germany in the last few years. They look
                  really
                  > nice and well built. I believe VW owns Skoda now. Which could
                  explain the
                  > high quality.
                  >
                  > Jack Gergely

                  European
                  > Car
                  >

                  > Take a look at this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper:
                  >
                  > http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?
                  xml=/news/2005/08/02/ncars02.xml

                  > No longer a pity!
                  >
                  > So why aren't they sold in the USA?
                  >
                  > Tony P
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                • raybravo2000
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
                    Ferdinand Poresche was friendly with the chief designer at Tatra
                    and admitted that he did steal some the design of the Tatra for
                    the VW. There was a lawsuit which was filed before the war and
                    finally settled in favor of Tatra in the 1960's.

                    http://www.tatra.demon.nl/cars_history_T97.htm

                    The real irony of Skoda is that while the French and British sold
                    out Czechoslovakia one third of the tanks that were used to
                    invade France were Skoda designs. The Germans knew the
                    Skoda tanks were better than their tanks at that time.

                    Colin

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...>