Re: [Slovak-World] Detective work for Helene

  • capt jack
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
      "I would like to thank everyone who is contributing, it is fascinating to
      discuss how people lived and adapted to the realities of life."

      Well, if talking about poopy diapers and smelly people, and deficating in the field is what you find fascinating, to each his own. I personally dont think anyone on this list finds any of this "new info" we all know how it was, and can imagine the rest..

      JIm

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
        In a message dated 3/1/3 4:11:51 PM, senzus@... writes:

        << It
        angered me when people complained to me about the "smelly people".

        I AGREE VILO - IT BOTHERS ME A LOT TOO.

        They had no deodorants at the time and all worked very hard. The odor was an
        honest indication of hard work.

        WHAT IS INTERESTING IS DURING OUR TRAVELS THERE IN 1969 THRU THE 70S AND
        EARLY 80S WE NOTICED THAT THE VILLAGE PEOPLE DIDN'T USE DEODORANT BUT ALSO
        ODOR WASN'T PARTICULARLY NOTICEABLE - WE WONDERED IF EATING MAINLY NATURAL
        FOODS WAS THE REASON FOR THIS.

        SORRY IF THESE TOPIC OFFEND SOME PEOPLE BUT I AGREE WITH VILO - WE THINK WE
        ARE SO CLEAN AND ANTISEPTIC BUT OUR LIVES SOME 50 - 70 YEARS AGO HERE IN THE
        US WERE QUITE DIFFERENT FROM TODAY. MY PARENTS HAD AN OUTHOUSE IN THE FIRST
        LITTLE HOME THEY LIVED IN WHEN I WAS BORN AND A FRANKLIN STOVE.

        helene

      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
          I wonder if the village people you describe were wearing linen
          underclothing. Unlike modern synthetics that trap everything and breed who
          knows what bacteria, linen allows the skin to "breath" and wicks moisture
          away from the body.

          In the good old days, people did not bathe frequently, but they did WASH,
          with a jug and basin. And so could we, if we had to.

        • helenezx@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
            In a message dated 3/1/3 5:29:10 PM, jmm@... writes:

            << But you know what........perfumes,
            aftershaves, etc will set off my allergies in a hurry, make me miserable,
            and even lead to a migraine. I may wince at the body odors during my first
            few days in Europe, but the body odor never ever sets off my allergies. >>

            Julie - i agree 100%

            would much rather have a natural odor than some of the modern perfumes which
            have something in them that hangs in the air and makes me violently allergice
            and gives a choking feeling.

            Did you know that there was a group in san francisco that handed out cards -
            initials were an abbreviation of something like Save Our Air Society - you
            got them to give out to offenders. Some people just reek of perfume or
            aftershave and the worst is stewardesses who bathe in it - in such a confined
            space - it's awful.

            i have difficulty walking down the soap aisle in the supermarket and duty
            free shops make me wild - saves money since i can't stay in them long due to
            the scents.

            helene