Re: maiden name vs. married name

  • sandman6294
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31 5:58 PM
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, DIANE PERKINS <nv_cracker@y...>
      wrote:
      > Helen, thank you. Now just for clarification,
      > would Lahutek be the married surname and Fojtik the
      > maiden name? And do you have any thoughts on the
      > appearance of "Oscko" in some of the records? Do you
      > get a sense that the Andrej Fojtik Ocsko and Andrej
      > Fojtik are one and the same? Thank you so much again!
      > Diane

      I experienced similar changes in surnames. In my mother's village
      there were three or four Choma families. My uncle's Vasil Choma's
      line began being recorded as Choma Maczko in about 1890. There was
      also another Choma family that began using Choma Cmar at about the
      same time. In the Choma Maczko case, it appeared to be a way to
      delineate linage. There was a marriage between Jan Choma and Anna
      Maczko in 1854. They were my uncle's grandparents.

      If you search the Slovak-World and Slovak Roots archives, you'll find
      information on the use of double surnames and nicknames. In some
      cases I believe the additional surname was found to trace back to the
      previous owner of a home or farm. It helped to identify the current
      owner. Several explanations have been given for the use of the
      double name and nicknames to identify people in a relatively immobile
      society with several families using the same given and surnames.

      RU
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
        Anna Fojtik r. Lahutik

        She was born Anna Lahutik and married Mr. Fojtik.

        "Ocsko" could be a family nickname. If there were a number of Fojtik families in the village this would have distinguished that particular family. It could have been his mother's maiden name used that way too.

        >>> nv_cracker@... 07/31/05 5:45 PM >>>