Re: [Slovak-World] Accessing Church Records

  • Ron Milliken
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
      I usually offer a donation, but sometimes it was refused.

      You have the perfect situation, where you can carefully search the books
      and find cousins you didn't even know about. On a few occasions I had
      that situation, where the secretary would point me to a cabinet full of
      old books and tell me to go through them at my leisure. If you are
      lucky, they will photocopy the records you find. I would definitely
      offer to pay for the copies. It is very difficult to interpret the
      records right there on the spot. Village names could be written in
      Hungarian, and other information could be written in Latin or Slovak.
      If it is a Greek Catholic or Orthodox church, information could be in
      Cyrillic. It often takes me days of research to correctly decipher all
      the information in church records. But the beauty of ethnic church
      records is that they often include the name of the native village,
      nationality, religion, etc. of people, such as the parents.

      Ron Milliken

      FlorianCJr@... wrote:

      > Ron;
      >
      > Thanks for your reply.
      >
      > Is it customary to leave a donation of any kind with a church here in the
      > U.S.A. after researching their records?
      >
      > I have an appointment at St. Procops in Cleveland for next Saturday to go
      > through the records. The sister who cheerfully arranged the time said
      > I will
      > be able to take the records to the cafeteria to look through them, but
      > cannot
      > remove them. This is exactly what I want.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Florian
      >
      > In a message dated 3/1/03 2:57:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > rmilliken@... writes:
      >

      > > I have researched many church records in the US. I have had no success
      > > when trying to request records via mail or telephone ... no success
      > > whatsoever, even when I send a donation. The secretaries are far too
      > > busy to respond to queries. However, my success rate is greater
      > than 50
      > > percent when I just show up at the church office during business hours.
      > > Often, I am allowed to go through the books myself. If you have a
      > > narrow time frame to search, the secretary or pastor will sometimes
      > > allow you to look over their shoulder while they turn the pages, as it
      > > should only take a few minutes. Sometimes I have been able to arrange
      > > a timeframe in advance, when the secretary would be the least busy.
      > >
      > > Perhaps others have had different experiences.
      > >
      > > Ron Milliken

      > manners when
      > > > contribution be
      > > > mother was
      > > > about her

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705103562:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_Cquo_1/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

    • Jan Lan
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
        At 03:50 PM 3/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:

        >Ron;
        >
        >Thanks for your reply.
        >
        >Is it customary to leave a donation of any kind with a church here in the
        >U.S.A. after researching their records?
        >
        >I have an appointment at St. Procops in Cleveland for next Saturday to go
        >through the records. The sister who cheerfully arranged the time said I will
        >be able to take the records to the cafeteria to look through them, but cannot
        >remove them. This is exactly what I want.
        >
        >Regards,
        >
        >Florian

        For what you described, I believe it would very appropriate to make a
        donation even if it was not customary. Are you taking a digital camera
        with you? Good luck.

        Janko

        Janko

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • FlorianCJr@wmconnect.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
          Many thanks for your observations, Ron.

          I hope I can find something about my grandparents birth dates and native
          villages in the records. It'd would be great to find information about lost
          relatives! I'll make it a point to have copies made, if a copy machine is
          available.

          Regards,

          Florian

          rmilliken@... writes:

          > I usually offer a donation, but sometimes it was refused.
          >
          > You have the perfect situation, where you can carefully search the books
          > and find cousins you didn't even know about. On a few occasions I had
          > that situation, where the secretary would point me to a cabinet full of
          > old books and tell me to go through them at my leisure. If you are
          > lucky, they will photocopy the records you find. I would definitely
          > offer to pay for the copies. It is very difficult to interpret the
          > records right there on the spot. Village names could be written in
          > Hungarian, and other information could be written in Latin or Slovak.
          > If it is a Greek Catholic or Orthodox church, information could be in
          > Cyrillic. It often takes me days of research to correctly decipher all
          > the information in church records. But the beauty of ethnic church
          > records is that they often include the name of the native village,
          > nationality, religion, etc. of people, such as the parents.
          >
          > Ron Milliken
          >
          > FlorianCJr@... wrote:
          >

          > > Ron;
          > >
          > > Thanks for your reply.
          > >
          > > Is it customary to leave a donation of any kind with a church here in the
          > > U.S.A. after researching their records?
          > >
          > > I have an appointment at St. Procops in Cleveland for next Saturday to go
          > > through the records. The sister who cheerfully arranged the time said
          > > I will
          > > be able to take the records to the cafeteria to look through them, but
          > > cannot
          > > remove them. This is exactly what I want.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Florian
          > >
          > > In a message dated 3/1/03 2:57:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          > > rmilliken@... writes:
          > >

          > > > I have researched many church records in the US. I have had no success
          > > > when trying to request records via mail or telephone ... no success
          > > > whatsoever, even when I send a donation. The secretaries are far too
          > > > busy to respond to queries. However, my success rate is greater
          > > than 50
          > > > percent when I just show up at the church office during business hours.
          > > > Often, I am allowed to go through the books myself. If you have a
          > > > narrow time frame to search, the secretary or pastor will sometimes
          > > > allow you to look over their shoulder while they turn the pages, as it
          > > > should only take a few minutes. Sometimes I have been able to arrange
          > > > a timeframe in advance, when the secretary would be the least busy.
          > > >
          > > > Perhaps others have had different experiences.
          > > >
          > > > Ron Milliken

          > > manners when

        • Ron Milliken
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
            The digital camera is a great suggestion. They can be set not to
            produce a flash ... you really do not need flash, even if the light is
            not great in the room. And the sound can be turned off, so it works
            silently. Just remember to set it to macro mode.

            One facility in Philadelphia would not allow me to use my digital
            camera, because they had a rule against cameras in general. I told them
            that my camera made no flash and produced no sound, but they still would
            not allow it. The facility would have been glad to photocopy the pages,
            except that the book was too old and fragile to put on a copy machine.

            Ron Milliken