Myron Floren

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2005
      Myron Floren is a highly recognized name in the
      entertainment world besides his relationship to
      polka music.

      He was born and raised on a farm in Day County,
      South Dakota. His interest in the accordion
      began after hearing a neighbor play at the
      house parties that the farmers usually had on
      Saturday night. While still in school he
      started in radio on KSOO in Sioux Falls,
      South Dakota.

      At KSOO he played an early morning show that
      featured many of the familiar waltzes and polkas
      of both Polish and Scandinavian origin.

      As his career progressed he entertained in
      Camp Shows from 1944 to 1945 in World War II in
      the European Theatre.

      In 1946 he joined the country group, the Buckeye
      Four, in St. Louis and played with them on the
      Mutual Radio Network from 1946 to 1950. Also in
      St. Louis in 1948 he started in television on KSD-TV.

      His most famous association was with the Lawrence
      Welk Big Band, which he joined in 1950. He spent a
      year on the road doing one-nighters across the country
      and landed in California in 1951.

      There they did a few shows on KTLA-TV. The reaction
      was so great that they did another four years for them
      and then went network in 1955. The show was then a
      weekly edition until June of 1981. There are still
      about two hundred stations on PBS carrying the show
      on a weekly basis.

      The Lawrence Welk Show featured Myron playing many polkas.

      According to Mr. Floren, "I guess we did one practically
      every week. I even remember an instance where we were
      saluting Duke Ellington and Lawrence added a polka just
      in case."

      Myron and his wife lived in California.

      All of their five daughters are grown, and four have
      families of their own. The Floren's also have seven
      grandchildren.

      He performed with the Jimmy Sturr Band on a regular basis.

      Myron died in July 2005 at age 85.

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative