east meets west, oh my!

  • DIANE PERKINS
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28, 2005
      I can certainly see that I am going to get an
      education from the members of this list! My
      grandmother born in Kalava, Slovakia was married in
      the US to my grandfather who was born in Povine. Both
      had immigrated between
      1905-1911 and did not know each other from
      Slovakia...now how do you suppose their communications
      went? :>)

      Thanks everyone!
      Diane

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • sandman6294
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2005
        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, DIANE PERKINS <nv_cracker@y...>
        wrote:
        > I can certainly see that I am going to get an
        > education from the members of this list! My
        > grandmother born in Kalava, Slovakia was married in
        > the US to my grandfather who was born in Povine. Both
        > had immigrated between 1905-1911 and did not know each other from
        > Slovakia...now how do you suppose their communications
        > went? :>)

        I was unable to locate a Povine in "Nazvy Obci.." but found Povina
        near Zilina as I mentioned in my earlier reply. Although Kalava is
        in the central area of the eastern end of Slovakia it appears to be a
        Slovak village and had only a Roman Catholic church. The far eastern
        and northeastern end of Slovakia had a substantial Greek Catholic,
        Rusyn population so I believe the dialects would be significantly
        different but I think still understandable.

        People from small villages in the late 19th and early 20th century
        had a simpler agrarian vocabulary. The terminologies might have been
        slightly different but I don't think enough to create a language
        barrier. The SK online directory only showed four Ondercin listings
        in Slovakia and all were in Kalava.

        RU
      • sandman6294
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 28, 2005
          wrote:
          > I can certainly see that I am going to get an
          > education from the members of this list! My
          > grandmother born in Kalava, Slovakia was married in
          > the US to my grandfather who was born in Povine. Both
          > had immigrated between
          > 1905-1911 and did not know each other from
          > Slovakia...now how do you suppose their communications
          > went? :>)
          >
          > Thanks everyone!
          > Diane

          I forgot to mention the only Vojas listed in the online directory were
          in Zilina and of the six Veselenaks listed,two are in Krompachy, which
          is very close to Kal'ava.

          RU