Re: [Slovak-World] Detective work for Helene

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
      Our ancestors have had to live with this topic since Adam and Eve. You have
      a problem with it, Jack? It beats ugly political haranguing.

      I would like to thank everyone who is contributing, it is fascinating to
      discuss how people lived and adapted to the realities of life.

      One story from 1970, I was working with a Hungarian co-worker in Cleveland,
      one who got me to visit his family in Budapest on my first visit to
      Czechoslovakia. One day at lunch we were walking past a photographer's
      window and he stopped to point out a large photo of a couple in costume
      dancing, with the woman spinning and her skirt up in the air. Somehow the
      rear view of the twirling woman looked as if she had unusually long legs -
      then I realized she had no underpants. Perhaps the question belongs along
      side "What do Scotsmen wear under their kilts?"

      For all of the other contributions, they are great!

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
        I thought that the question was, "What is worn beneath a Scotsman's kilts?"
        And, the answer is, "Nothing is worn beneath a Scotsman's kilt -
        everything works just fine !!"

        Ron Matviyak wrote:

        > Perhaps the question belongs along
        > side "What do Scotsmen wear under their kilts?"

      • capt jack
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
          "I would like to thank everyone who is contributing, it is fascinating to
          discuss how people lived and adapted to the realities of life."

          Well, if talking about poopy diapers and smelly people, and deficating in the field is what you find fascinating, to each his own. I personally dont think anyone on this list finds any of this "new info" we all know how it was, and can imagine the rest..

          JIm

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
            In a message dated 3/1/3 4:11:51 PM, senzus@... writes:

            << It
            angered me when people complained to me about the "smelly people".

            I AGREE VILO - IT BOTHERS ME A LOT TOO.

            They had no deodorants at the time and all worked very hard. The odor was an
            honest indication of hard work.

            WHAT IS INTERESTING IS DURING OUR TRAVELS THERE IN 1969 THRU THE 70S AND
            EARLY 80S WE NOTICED THAT THE VILLAGE PEOPLE DIDN'T USE DEODORANT BUT ALSO
            ODOR WASN'T PARTICULARLY NOTICEABLE - WE WONDERED IF EATING MAINLY NATURAL
            FOODS WAS THE REASON FOR THIS.

            SORRY IF THESE TOPIC OFFEND SOME PEOPLE BUT I AGREE WITH VILO - WE THINK WE
            ARE SO CLEAN AND ANTISEPTIC BUT OUR LIVES SOME 50 - 70 YEARS AGO HERE IN THE
            US WERE QUITE DIFFERENT FROM TODAY. MY PARENTS HAD AN OUTHOUSE IN THE FIRST
            LITTLE HOME THEY LIVED IN WHEN I WAS BORN AND A FRANKLIN STOVE.

            helene

          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
              I wonder if the village people you describe were wearing linen
              underclothing. Unlike modern synthetics that trap everything and breed who
              knows what bacteria, linen allows the skin to "breath" and wicks moisture
              away from the body.

              In the good old days, people did not bathe frequently, but they did WASH,
              with a jug and basin. And so could we, if we had to.

            • helenezx@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
                In a message dated 3/1/3 5:29:10 PM, jmm@... writes:

                << But you know what........perfumes,
                aftershaves, etc will set off my allergies in a hurry, make me miserable,
                and even lead to a migraine. I may wince at the body odors during my first
                few days in Europe, but the body odor never ever sets off my allergies. >>

                Julie - i agree 100%

                would much rather have a natural odor than some of the modern perfumes which
                have something in them that hangs in the air and makes me violently allergice
                and gives a choking feeling.

                Did you know that there was a group in san francisco that handed out cards -
                initials were an abbreviation of something like Save Our Air Society - you
                got them to give out to offenders. Some people just reek of perfume or
                aftershave and the worst is stewardesses who bathe in it - in such a confined
                space - it's awful.

                i have difficulty walking down the soap aisle in the supermarket and duty
                free shops make me wild - saves money since i can't stay in them long due to
                the scents.

                helene