More about the Slovak language

  • andreialexiev
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 28, 2005
      I have the Slovak language film,"Obchod na korze"(Shop on Main
      Street).Of course, that film is over 40 years old, but I'm wondering
      if the Slovak used in that film wasn't the language spoken many
      years ago when tha influence of Hungarian may have been much
      greater,for example the Hungarian word"baci" is used freqeuently in
      the film ,the wod is used following the name as it would be in
      Hungarian.For example,the main character,Britko, calls the elderly
      Mr. Kuchar,"Kuchar-bacsi" and the Jewish barber says to Piti,"Piti-
      bacsi, prosim t'a." Does anyone actually use the
      word "bacsi"("uncle") anymore?I get a paper from Canada
      called,"Rusnace u svece",which is written in what is described as
      the Rusnak language of Voivodina,Yugoslavia.It actually seems to be
      an East Slovak dialect written in Cyrillic alphabet.It uses some
      Hungarian words,"bacsi", also "varos" for city, "farkas" for wolf,
      etc.Other words show clear Polisn influence,"caly' for ciely,also
      the v often is placed before o, such as, "von, vona, vono", instead
      of, on,ona, ono,for example, "he died" would be "on zomrel" in
      Slovak, but "von umarl" in "Rusnak".Any thoughts on this? Also, can
      anyone indentify the words to two songs in the above-mentioned movie?
      There is the one marching song sung by a group of Gardists marching
      and later around the monument in the town square.Then there is also
      the first song sung in the tavern by the Gardist leader accompanied
      by thr Primas and the Gypsy orchestra, something about being on
      guard duty.THe other two songs,"rosmarija" and,"Tam okolo Levoci",I
      can idenitfy readily enough.Thanks,Fr. Andrei
    • PicasGurl@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 28, 2005
        Father Andrei
        I went to Hungary 20+ years ago to visit relatives and I called my uncle
        Zoli-bacsi (sp?). Hope that helps.

        See you later,
        Haidee
        PicasGurl@...
      • andreialexiev
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 28, 2005
          Ys,Haidee, but that is standard in Hungarian(I assume your uncle may
          be a Slovak living in Hungary).I'd like to know if Slovaks in Slovakia
          would still use this form today>--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com,

        • PicasGurl@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 28, 2005
            Andrei,
            Zoli bacsi was Hungarian; Ujo Igor was Slovak.

            See you later,
            Haidee
            PicasGurl@...
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 29, 2005
              The younger people are getting away from the dialects somewhat (the pervasive influence of schools, TV, etc.), but when I visited with my cousins in a village SE of Kosice in May, we spoke completely in dialect.

              You use the example of how the Hungarian word "baci" is used. In our Zemplin dialect, the borrowing is "bac~ik", more as a form of address, but also as a title. The construction "Kovac~-bac~i" isn't used, but you might hear "Bac~ik Kovac~". More likely you'd hear someone saying "Bac~ik, dze je..." just like in English we'd say "Sir, where is...". "Bac~ik" isn't a formal as "sir," but it does indicate someone who's older and who's being shown respect. The female equivalent is "nina", from the Hungarian "nenika". When my mother was older, some of the younger (than her) folks in the community would call her "Nina Fedorova".

              Rusin does influence some of the eastern dialects (I believe they're called the "s~o" dialects because they use "s~o" instead of "c~o" for 'what'), but in Zemplin, for example, "on zomrel" would be "von umar". Slovak is closer to the South Slavic languages (especially Croatian) than, say, Czech. Linguists believe that the Croatians used to live (well over 1,000 years ago) much further north, contiguous to the Slovaks, so that they spoke a common (or at least very similar) language that then gradually diverged and evolved into 2 separate languages when the 2 groups lived in their current locations.

              If you, or anyone else, could transcribe the songs, I'd be happy to take a stab at it. I don't have a copy of the movie though.

              Helen

              >>> Andrei424@... 07/28/05 3:56 PM >>>
[...]

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • Lil M. Junas
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 29, 2005
                I remember hearing my dad tease my mother about the Junases speaking
                better Slovak than the Wargos (my mother was a Wargo). But while working
                in Slovakia for a year I realized that he was correct since the
                western-central dialect is considered the "pure" Slovak while the Eastern
                Slovak is more colloqual. At least that's the way it was explained to me.
                Many Eastern pronunciatiolns sound more than the Czech or Polish --like
                "Yak so mash?" rather than the western-central's Ako sa mas? Am I on the
                right track here?
                Lil

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 29, 2005
                  Sort of. Colloquial has nothing to do with dialects. We have different levels of English that ew speak. There's standard English ("I can't remember what I was going to say."), colloquial ("I suddenly draw a blank."), and slang ("Brain freeze!" [as the kids say]).

                  Standard Slovak was based on the central Slovak dialects, so those dialects are closer to sounding grammatically correct than the eastern dialects, which are quite different. Standard English pronounciation (e.g. on TV news) is based on English as it's spoken in the Midwest (they're most neutral sounding). Someone living in the "hollers" of Kentucky or West Virginia would speak an English that would sound grammatically and pronounciationally [is that a word?] incorrect to a speaker of standard English. But "Appalachian" English has its own set of grammar rules, vocabulary (somewhat antiquated, at times), and sound transformations.

                  Yes, sometimes the Eastern dialects do sound more Polish. Someone once said that there were similarities (was it you Martin?) between western Czech and eastern Slovak dialects. I forget the reason why.

                  >>> lil.junas@... 07/29/05 9:38 AM >>>

                • sandman6294
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 29, 2005
                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@l...> wrote:
                    > The younger people are getting away from the dialects somewhat (the
                    pervasive influence of schools, TV, etc.), but when I visited with my
                    cousins in a village SE of Kosice in May, we spoke completely in
                    dialect.

                    > You use the example of how the Hungarian word "baci" is used. In
                    our Zemplin dialect, the borrowing is "bac~ik", more as a form of
                    address, but also as a title. The construction "Kovac~-bac~i" isn't
                    used, but you might hear "Bac~ik Kovac~". More likely you'd hear
                    someone saying "Bac~ik, dze je..." just like in English we'd
                    say "Sir, where is...". "Bac~ik" isn't a formal as "sir," but it
                    does indicate someone who's older and who's being shown respect.

                    It was Bac^ik in Rusyn or S^aris^ dialect also. We had a Hungarian
                    couple renting the upper suite of our two family home when I was a
                    youngster in the 30's. I recall addressing the husband as bac^ik.

                    > Rusin does influence some of the eastern dialects (I believe
                    they're called the "s~o" dialects because they use "s~o" instead
                    of "c~o" for 'what'), but in Zemplin, for example, "on zomrel" would
                    be "von umar".

                    I recall using _s^to_ for _what_.

                    RU
                  • sandman6294
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 29, 2005
                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Lil M. Junas" <lil.junas@w...>
                      wrote:
                      > I remember hearing my dad tease my mother about the Junases speaking
                      > "Yak so mash?" rather than the western-central's Ako sa mas? Am I
                      on the
                      > right track here?
                      > Lil

                      Around Bardejov it was "jak s^a mas^" by my ear.

                      RU
                    • Carol
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 29, 2005
                        Lil,
                        the eastern dialect is what I heard from my father and my cousins in
                        Zahradne understood when I asked "how are you" in dialect but the younger
                        ones used the more standard po slovensky.
                        Carol
> [...]
                        >> Hungarian words,"bacsi", also "varos" for city, "farkas" for wolf,
                        >> etc.Other words show clear Polisn influence,"caly' for ciely,also
                        >> the v often is placed before o, such as, "von, vona, vono", instead
                        >> of, on,ona, ono,for example, "he died" would be "on zomrel" in
                        >> Slovak, but "von umarl" in "Rusnak".Any thoughts on this? Also, can
                        >> anyone indentify the words to two songs in the above-mentioned movie?
                        >> There is the one marching song sung by a group of Gardists marching
                        >> and later around the monument in the town square.Then there is also
                        >> the first song sung in the tavern by the Gardist leader accompanied
                        >> by thr Primas and the Gypsy orchestra, something about being on
                        >> guard duty.THe other two songs,"rosmarija" and,"Tam okolo Levoci",I
                        >> can idenitfy readily enough.Thanks,Fr. Andrei
                        >>

                        >> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                        >>
                        >> Visit your group "Slovak-World" on the web.

                      • Andrea Vangor
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 29, 2005
                          I think the theory is that the modern Central Slovaks are people who were pushed north by the Magyars. The older Slovak population was itself pushed sideways east and west. Therefore the recent dialects in east and west Slovakia are relatively similar.

                          The central dialects were chosen by 19th century scholars as the norm for the language when in fact they were less "typical" than the dialects of the eastern and western regions. I think the first attempt to codify the language in the 18th century used western dialects as the basis.

                          Anyone who watches old movies knows that "ideal" American English before World War II was the mid-Atlantic accent of the eastern seaboard upper classes. I wonder if it became midwestern after so many people from that region migrated to Southern California and ended up in broadcasting.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 29, 2005
                            I'm not sure about the Central Slovaks theory. Martin? But I know that the eastern dialects don't bear a resemblance to those of the west. They have features in common with western CZECH dialects. Two words that come to mind are "mlieko" (stand. Sl.) vs. "mliko" for both Cz. and east. Sl., and "slnko" vs. "slunko".

                            >>> drav@... 07/29/05 1:17 PM >>>

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 29, 2005
                              I believe the Central Slovak theory to be correct.I read somewhere
                              that there was one large Slavic tribe, the Slovenes extending from
                              Southwest to Northeast.The Northeasterners seperated and ended up
                              merging with the Finnic tribes in what is today Northern European
                              Russia,these became the Great Russians.Later the Magyar invasion
                              split the tribe once more into today's Slovaks and Slovenes.As for
                              the Czechs, they are thought to be Ukrainians who migrated west(this
                              I head from Prof.Michael Kopanic, who used to be one of the hosts of
                              the Sunday evening Slovak radio program the the University of
                              Akron,which I used to listen to during my years in Cleveland).If the
                              Ukrainian theory about the Czechs is true,they would have had to
                              pass through what is now Slovakia to get there.That couls explain
                              some similarities between East Slovak and some Czech
                              dialects.Somewhere I have a book "Guide to the Slavic langueges" by
                              Regis DuBray.He mentions similarities between Eastern and Western
                              Slovak dialects.--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor"
                              <hfed@l...> wrote:
                              > I'm not sure about the Central Slovaks theory. Martin? But I
                              know that the eastern dialects don't bear a resemblance to those of
                              the west. They have features in common with western CZECH
                              dialects. Two words that come to mind are "mlieko" (stand. Sl.)
                              vs. "mliko" for both Cz. and east. Sl., and "slnko" vs. "slunko".

                              > I think the theory is that the modern Central Slovaks are people
                              who were pushed north by the Magyars. The older Slovak population
                              was itself pushed sideways east and west. Therefore the recent
                              dialects in east and west Slovakia are relatively similar.

                              > The central dialects were chosen by 19th century scholars as the
                              norm for the language when in fact they were less "typical" than the
                              dialects of the eastern and western regions. I think the first
                              attempt to codify the language in the 18th century used western
                              dialects as the basis.

                              > Anyone who watches old movies knows that "ideal" American English
                              before World War II was the mid-Atlantic accent of the eastern
                              seaboard upper classes. I wonder if it became midwestern after so
                              many people from that region migrated to Southern California and
                              ended up in broadcasting.

                              Service.

                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                              > >

                              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                              >
                              > Visit your group "Slovak-World" on the web.
                              Service.

                              of Service.

                              -----------

                              7/28/2005

                              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                              >
                              > Visit your group "Slovak-World" on the web.
                              Service.
                            • Dr. Joe Q
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 29, 2005
                                Yak sa mas^, is what my cousins still use in Bardejov
                                and about half of them are "Rusyn".

                                Dr. "Q"

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • krejc@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 30, 2005
                                  does anyone recall something sounding like :

                                  ako see my o

                                  my mother used to say this and i thought it meant how are you?
                                  her grandmother was from near Kezmarok, more specifically Majerka. her
                                  mother was from a smaller village nearby.
                                  Noreen

                                • gergely
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 30, 2005
                                    Yak sa mas^,was common when I was a kid in SW PA, but somehow, I always
                                    thought it was Polish.
                                    Live and learn.

                                    Jack Gergely

                                    --- "Lil M. Junas" <lil.junas@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    > > the v often is placed before o, such as, "von,
                                    > vona, vono", instead
                                    > > of, on,ona, ono,for example, "he died" would be
                                    > "on zomrel" in
                                    > > Slovak, but "von umarl" in "Rusnak".Any thoughts
                                    > on this? Also, can
                                    > > anyone indentify the words to two songs in the
                                    > above-mentioned movie?
                                    > > There is the one marching song sung by a group of
                                    > Gardists marching
                                    > > and later around the monument in the town
                                    > square.Then there is also
                                    > > the first song sung in the tavern by the Gardist
                                    > leader accompanied
                                    > > by thr Primas and the Gypsy orchestra, something
                                    > about being on
                                    > > guard duty.THe other two songs,"rosmarija"
                                    > and,"Tam okolo Levoci",I
                                    > > can idenitfy readily enough.Thanks,Fr. Andrei
                                    > >

                                    > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                    > >
                                    > > Visit your group "Slovak-World" on the web.

                                  • David
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 30, 2005
                                      Yes, that was also said in the town were I came from, but "Ako sa
                                      mate," is correct at this point of time. (How are you?)
                                      Dave Kuchta

                                    • halfslovak
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 3, 2005
                                        When I was a child EVERYONE in my Hudson River town saidd Jak sa mas
                                        as a greeting including the Irish kids ,LOL. Now I have my little
                                        2year old granddaughter saying it every time she shakes hands :)(

                                      • agp@telerama.com
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 3, 2005
                                          At 23:09 03/08/2005, Dr. Joe Q wrote:
> [...]

                                          Hi there neighbor! I didn't realise that you have
                                          family in Bardejov. Me too! My great aunt and
                                          great uncle live on Stöcklova where it is
                                          intersected by Pos^tova. Right next to the
                                          hostinec! Which given the way my family has
                                          always loved beer, is most appropriate!

                                          Tony P