thanks to Helen and Colin

  • DIANE PERKINS
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 27, 2005
      I am new to this list and just wish to say thanks to
      Helen for posting the proverbs and phrases; and to
      Colin for the fabulous learning Slovak link. I find
      it all very fascinating. I have been in contact with
      a man from Slovakia who was born in the village that
      my grandmother was born in. We have been
      communicating for about 2-3 years now albeit with much
      difficulty. I don't speak/write Slovak and he doesn't
      read write or speak
      English. I am fortunate in that we have been able to
      use a young woman as translator. But she does have a
      life
      and sometimes it takes awhile to get the translations.

      Can anyone on this list tell me is there a difference
      in the dialect that Slovaks in the Bratislava area
      would speak as opposed to the dialect that is spoken
      in Kosice.

      I need to see if I can find any living relatives in
      the area of Povine.

      TIA and I will be watching this list with much
      interest.
      Diane Perkins
      reserching: Fojtik, Vojas, Veselenak and Ondercin.

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Mail
    • sandman6294
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 27, 2005
        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, DIANE PERKINS <nv_cracker@y...>
        wrote:

        > Can anyone on this list tell me is there a difference
        > in the dialect that Slovaks in the Bratislava area
        > would speak as opposed to the dialect that is spoken
        > in Kosice.

        There should be but there are others on the list including Helen that
        could better answer this question. Kosice is in SE Slovakia but
        Povina is just a few miles NE of Zilina in NW Slovakia.

        > I need to see if I can find any living relatives in
        > the area of Povine.

        Using http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html I found:

        Jozef Fojtík, Povina
        Margita Fojtíková, Povina
        Štefan Fojtík, Povina

        You might try the other surnames in the online SK phone directory and
        check the villages and nearby towns for the surnames.

        RU
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 28, 2005
          Yes, there are big differences, although everyone in the country will understand standard (literary) Slovak, the language taught in school and used in the press, on TV, etc.

          The eastern dialects are quite distinct (there's even variation among them) and are difficult for folks in the western parts of Slovakia (i.e. where B-slava is) to understand. The eastern dialects have borrowings from German, Hungarian, Polish, and Ukrainian, plus they've retained older forms of words that are no longer used in standard Slovak (e.g., the antiquated "sklep" for 'store' instead of "obchod"). There are also regular sound transformations. For example, a soft D (d') becomes 'dz' in the east, and a soft T (t') becomes 'c', so that the standard word <chodit'> becomes <chodzic>. And then there's the difference in stress (i.e., which syllable of a word gets emphasized), which makes the rhythm of the spoken language slightly different and is enough to throw off the non-eastern-dialect speaker.

          >>> nv_cracker@... 07/27/05 10:58 PM >>>
[...]

        • raybravo2000
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 28, 2005
            Yes, I too have noticed differences. Most notably when I was at
            the train station in Poprad and I was asking 2 women how to use
            the pay phone and I was not getting through, and my Slovak isn't
            that bad. Of course I couldn't understand them either. I saw one
            of them using a cell phone and through pointing and gesturing
            they realized that I wanted to use the cell. I was able to call my
            relatives in Jakubany and they came to get me. But it was a big
            surprize, I would have thought a few words might have been
            recognized. (My relatives are Rusyn so they speak Rusyn and
            Slovak.)
            Colin

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor"

            Service.
          • AltoClar@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 28, 2005
              Colin,

              You have relatives in Yakubany??? So do I!!!!

              Sue

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 29, 2005
                I'm surprised that the 2 women didn't understand you if you were speaking standard Slovak.

                >>> colinv@... 07/28/05 10:17 PM >>>

                <hfed@l...> wrote:
                > Yes, there are big differences, although everyone in the country
                will understand standard (literary) Slovak, the language taught in
                school and used in the press, on TV, etc.

                > The eastern dialects are quite distinct (there's even variation
                among them) and are difficult for folks in the western parts of
                Slovakia (i.e. where B-slava is) to understand. The eastern
                dialects have borrowings from German, Hungarian, Polish, and
                Ukrainian, plus they've retained older forms of words that are no
                longer used in standard Slovak (e.g., the antiquated "sklep" for
                'store' instead of "obchod"). There are also regular sound
                transformations. For example, a soft D (d') becomes 'dz' in the
                east, and a soft T (t') becomes 'c', so that the standard word
                <chodit'> becomes <chodzic>. And then there's the difference in
                stress (i.e., which syllable of a word gets emphasized), which
                makes the rhythm of the spoken language slightly different and
                is enough to throw off the non-eastern-dialect speaker.

                > I am new to this list and just wish to say thanks to
                > Helen for posting the proverbs and phrases; and to
                > Colin for the fabulous learning Slovak link. I find
                > it all very fascinating. I have been in contact with
                > a man from Slovakia who was born in the village that
                > my grandmother was born in. We have been
                > communicating for about 2-3 years now albeit with much
                > difficulty. I don't speak/write Slovak and he doesn't
                > read write or speak
                > English. I am fortunate in that we have been able to
                > use a young woman as translator. But she does have a
                > life
                > and sometimes it takes awhile to get the translations.
                >
                > Can anyone on this list tell me is there a difference
                > in the dialect that Slovaks in the Bratislava area
                > would speak as opposed to the dialect that is spoken
                > in Kosice.
                >
                > I need to see if I can find any living relatives in
                > the area of Povine.
                >
                > TIA and I will be watching this list with much
                > interest.
                > Diane Perkins
                > reserching: Fojtik, Vojas, Veselenak and Ondercin.

                > Visit your group "Slovak-World" on the web.
                Service.

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              • raybravo2000
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 29, 2005
                  Ahoj,

                  Since you have relatives from Jakubany I would say that we are
                  family. I moderate a YAHOO! group for Jakubany.

                  Please join. You will find more links to other people's webpages,
                  photos, and misc. Have you been to the village?

                  Colin

                • AltoClar@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 29, 2005
                    Colin,
                    I have not been to Yakubany. My folks went to Czechoslovakia as part of a trip for the Milennium of the Orthodox church, but not to their parents' hometowns, just Prague and some of the larger cities. Some other family members have been there and they gave my parents a video tape that includes the actual house (still standing!) that my grandfather was born in back in 1896. There's some beautiful scenery there in the mountains!
                    Sue

                    Since you have relatives from Jakubany I would say that we are
                    family. I moderate a YAHOO! group for Jakubany.

                    Please join. You will find more links to other people's webpages,
                    photos, and misc. Have you been to the village?

                    Colin

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, AltoClar@a... wrote:
                    > Colin,
                    >
                    > You have relatives in Yakubany??? So do I!!!!
                    >
                    > Sue

                  • raybravo2000
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 29, 2005
                      Well, I think I was speaking standard Slovak, and I think I was
                      saying the right things. They may have been from another part of
                      Slovakia, I mean it was a train station.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 29, 2005
                        Sue,

                        I'll be going for my 4th trip in Sept. I'm taking my father ashes
                        over to be left in the river there. There will be a reunion of
                        decendants of people from the village there at that time. We had a
                        reunion a year ago at Camp Nazareth in western PA and I was very
                        happy to meet the people. The reunion this year is rather grand
                        with tours and outings, etc, and I'm not that interested in those,
                        but I will be glad to see the family from both sides in the village.

                      • AltoClar@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 29, 2005
                          Hey, Colin,
                          Camp Nazareth belongs to the diocese of the Orthodox church (Carpatho-Russian) that I grew up in!!! Small world!!!