Re: [Slovak-World]Olden days and the luxury of cloth

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
      Sometimes we can learn from our neighbors, and sometimes from other
      societies. Dried grass was used by old Eskimo. It is not a far reach to
      imagine our ancestors also using this universal material!

      Of course I will welcome other answers with more 'scientific' or recorded
      basis.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
        Dear Claudia:

        To answer your question about how those of us who had babies in the "Stone
        Age" (before disposable diapers) handled the waste disposal, so to speak, we
        used cloth diapers and we washed them and used them over and over and over
        again....

        Of course there were disposables but they were very expensive and we only
        wildly splurged and bought them if we were going to take the infant on a trip.

        But then we were also the early Stone Age mothers who never bought infant
        pastuerized, sanitized, vitamin-added imitation milk formula in the
        grocery-store. We simply used the old-fashioned method for this also. And,
        surprisingly, our babies raely got sick. There were actually some things
        that really worked well in the old days.

        Laverne
      • Jan Lan
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
          At 03:27 PM 3/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
          >Dear Claudia:
          >
          >To answer your question about how those of us who had babies in the "Stone
          >Age" (before disposable diapers) handled the waste disposal, so to speak, we
          >used cloth diapers and we washed them and used them over and over and over
          >again....

          They did have Diaper Service for the affluent. We used cotton diapers,
          diaper pails and a Maytag that took a licking, from a family of six, but
          kept on ticking for years.

          Janko

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • Claudia Medvik
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
            Sorry, no offense intended. It was a strictly anthropological question. Native Americans used moss as an substitute for fabric, and the rural Chinese even today allow their toddlers to run around outside in shoes and a top and that's all.

            As for cloth diapers, I have repeatedly apologized to my parents every time they bring up those family stories that as an infant I tested their lung capacity while changing me. On the other hand, my Mother always bragged of the tan she got while hanging out diapers to dry.

            Or perhaps my interest is rather in not having the opportunity to have babies of my own to gather my own er,,, research.

            Thanks Mom,
            Claudia
            >To answer your question about how those of us who had babies in the "Stone
            >Age" (before disposable diapers) handled the waste disposal, so to speak, we
            >used cloth diapers and we washed them and used them over and over and over
            >again....

            They did have Diaper Service for the affluent. We used cotton diapers,
            diaper pails and a Maytag that took a licking, from a family of six, but
            kept on ticking for years.

            Janko

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Nick Holcz
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
              At 02:39 PM 1/03/2003 -0500, you wrote:
              >Dear William,
              >
              >Forgive me, but I am always curious how peoples dealt the problem of
              >diapers. Nowadays that is the one unavoidable odorous occasion even we
              >cannot avoid, no matter how rich or poor. Disposable diapers are a constant
              >joke in movies, but how we lived before them seems impossible to comprehend
              >or even a consider as a possibility! A mother's love must truly indeed be a
              >powerful thing, for I can't imagine any other reason for dealing with volume
              >of 'output' one infant can produce without disposable diapers. To our modern
              >sensibilities, it is a miracle we ever lived past the Stone Ages !!! Do you
              >have any memories how this was handled by our formidable ancestors?
              >
              >Claudia
              >
              >Disposable diapers? what is disposable about them? they live in the
              >landfill forever. before them which in is not that long ago ( our kids
              >never had them) we washed and dried cloth diapers ( fathers love their
              >babies as well you know) .

              Nick
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
                And in cities, there was the professional diaper service company. A real
                public service.

              • barbara13140 <bhardin@tds.net>
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2003
                  Dear Fellow Slovaks:
                  I can't help but put my 2 cents worth in...I was the oldest child of
                  Slovak parents and helped raise my younger siblings. I also raised 4
                  children of my own. I was taught by my Mother who learned from her
                  Mother and so on thru the generations. Some things stay the same. I
                  suspect most of us had similiar upbringings. None of my children ever
                  wore throw away diapers. (I agree with whoever said they are not
                  disposable but linger for eons in our landfills). We used only cloth
                  diapers and first dunked them in the toilet to "Pre-clean" them,
                  wrung them out by hand then soaked them in a diaper pail with a
                  little Dreft Laundry Detergent. I then washed them in my Maytag
                  washer using the hottest water available. Three washings for my
                  daughter who had extremely fair and tender skin.
                  Commercial baby food was rarely bought and only for emergencies. We
                  made our own. Slovak chicken soup with the vegetables, noodles and
                  broth mashed fine and stored in the freezer in little margarine cups
                  with lids was a particular favorite so was venison stew since my
                  husband loved to hunt.
                  However, in defense of modern day Mother's in today's economy - I was
                  a stay at home Mom. My husband supported us very well on his salary
                  alone. Now he's retired, the children are all grown and I work. We
                  just had our 43rd anniversary. I feel very sad that today's young
                  Mom's have to work to make ends meet. I'm sure the hardest thing
                  they've ever had to do was put that precious baby in the hands of
                  someone else to care for while they earn a living. I was blessed.
                  Regards to you all...I love reading your posts.
                  Barbara
                  PS: My Gramma Cerveny wore knickers - My Mom wore nothing. :o)

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, brieuc@a... wrote:
                  > Dear Claudia:
                  >
                  > To answer your question about how those of us who had babies in
                  the "Stone
                  > Age" (before disposable diapers) handled the waste disposal, so to
                  speak, we
                  > used cloth diapers and we washed them and used them over and over
                  and over
                  > again....
                  >
                  > Of course there were disposables but they were very expensive and
                  we only
                  > wildly splurged and bought them if we were going to take the infant
                  on a trip.

                  > But then we were also the early Stone Age mothers who never bought
                  infant
                  > pastuerized, sanitized, vitamin-added imitation milk formula in the
                  > grocery-store. We simply used the old-fashioned method for this
                  also. And,
                  > surprisingly, our babies raely got sick. There were actually some
                  things
                  > that really worked well in the old days.
                  >
                  > Laverne
                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2, 2003
                    Same here -- and I'm not even a mother, an aunt, yes -- but a mother -- no. I was raised this same way and I haven't been what I consider "sick" since 2nd grade -- going on 42 and freezing (but not shoveling) here in Chicago.
                    Caye

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT