Re: [Slovak-World] Question on a saying

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 19, 2005
      Jerry,
      My dad used this phrase, "Pravda oc~i kole," meaning "the truth hurts". The infinitive of the verb is "kl'ac", at least in the Zemplin/Abov dialect we spoke at home. [In my Slovak-English dictionary, the 3rd definition of "klat'" is given as "to stab".] It's the same verb you'd use to describe what a thorn on, say, a rosebush, did to your finger when you touched it. Or to describe a kind of stabbing muscle pain.

      >>> gsabo@... 07/18/05 8:10 PM >>>
      There is an old Slovak saying: "Pravda oci koli" which I
      have always understood as "Truth hurts/pokes/stabs at the
      eyes." Is this correct, and what is the root infinitive for
      the verb? Thanks for any help--Jerry Sabo.

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS