Accessing Church Records

  • FlorianCJr@wmconnect.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
      What is considered the generally accepted behavior or good manners when
      researching church records here in the US? Should a small contribution be
      left for access to records? I plan to visit the church where my mother was
      baptized over 80 years ago in hopes of finding out more information about her
      parents, such as date and place of birth, etc.

      TIA,

      Florian

    • Jan Lan
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
        At 02:00 PM 3/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:

        >What is considered the generally accepted behavior or good manners when
        >researching church records here in the US? Should a small contribution be
        >left for access to records? I plan to visit the church where my mother was
        >baptized over 80 years ago in hopes of finding out more information about her
        >parents, such as date and place of birth, etc.
        >
        >TIA,
        >
        >Florian

        Have you checked with the church regarding their policy on genealogical
        research. Many pastors and church offices are busy and may require
        scheduling if they are willing to do it at all. I haven't tried myself but
        have heard people say that in some cases letters on the subject went
        unanswered. Also, as is the case with any old documents, they can be
        fragile and many would be reluctant to allow visitors to handle them. I'd
        be interested in knowing if many have had success with this approach.

        Janko

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Ron Milliken
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
          I have researched many church records in the US. I have had no success
          when trying to request records via mail or telephone ... no success
          whatsoever, even when I send a donation. The secretaries are far too
          busy to respond to queries. However, my success rate is greater than 50
          percent when I just show up at the church office during business hours.
          Often, I am allowed to go through the books myself. If you have a
          narrow time frame to search, the secretary or pastor will sometimes
          allow you to look over their shoulder while they turn the pages, as it
          should only take a few minutes. Sometimes I have been able to arrange
          a timeframe in advance, when the secretary would be the least busy.

          Perhaps others have had different experiences.

          Ron Milliken

        • FlorianCJr@wmconnect.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
            Ron;

            Thanks for your reply.

            Is it customary to leave a donation of any kind with a church here in the
            U.S.A. after researching their records?

            I have an appointment at St. Procops in Cleveland for next Saturday to go
            through the records. The sister who cheerfully arranged the time said I will
            be able to take the records to the cafeteria to look through them, but cannot
            remove them. This is exactly what I want.

            Regards,

            Florian

            rmilliken@... writes:

            > I have researched many church records in the US. I have had no success
            > when trying to request records via mail or telephone ... no success
            > whatsoever, even when I send a donation. The secretaries are far too
            > busy to respond to queries. However, my success rate is greater than 50
            > percent when I just show up at the church office during business hours.
            > Often, I am allowed to go through the books myself. If you have a
            > narrow time frame to search, the secretary or pastor will sometimes
            > allow you to look over their shoulder while they turn the pages, as it
            > should only take a few minutes. Sometimes I have been able to arrange
            > a timeframe in advance, when the secretary would be the least busy.
            >
            > Perhaps others have had different experiences.
            >
            > Ron Milliken
            >
            > > At 02:00 PM 3/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
            > >
            > > >What is considered the generally accepted behavior or good manners when
            > > >researching church records here in the US? Should a small
            > > contribution be
            > > >left for access to records? I plan to visit the church where my
            > > mother was
            > > >baptized over 80 years ago in hopes of finding out more information
            > > about her
            > > >parents, such as date and place of birth, etc.
            > > >
            > > >TIA,
            > > >
            > > >Florian

          • Ron Milliken
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
              I usually offer a donation, but sometimes it was refused.

              You have the perfect situation, where you can carefully search the books
              and find cousins you didn't even know about. On a few occasions I had
              that situation, where the secretary would point me to a cabinet full of
              old books and tell me to go through them at my leisure. If you are
              lucky, they will photocopy the records you find. I would definitely
              offer to pay for the copies. It is very difficult to interpret the
              records right there on the spot. Village names could be written in
              Hungarian, and other information could be written in Latin or Slovak.
              If it is a Greek Catholic or Orthodox church, information could be in
              Cyrillic. It often takes me days of research to correctly decipher all
              the information in church records. But the beauty of ethnic church
              records is that they often include the name of the native village,
              nationality, religion, etc. of people, such as the parents.

              Ron Milliken

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
                At 03:50 PM 3/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:

                >Ron;
                >
                >Thanks for your reply.
                >
                >Is it customary to leave a donation of any kind with a church here in the
                >U.S.A. after researching their records?
                >
                >I have an appointment at St. Procops in Cleveland for next Saturday to go
                >through the records. The sister who cheerfully arranged the time said I will
                >be able to take the records to the cafeteria to look through them, but cannot
                >remove them. This is exactly what I want.
                >
                >Regards,
                >
                >Florian

                For what you described, I believe it would very appropriate to make a
                donation even if it was not customary. Are you taking a digital camera
                with you? Good luck.

                Janko

                Janko

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              • FlorianCJr@wmconnect.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
                  Many thanks for your observations, Ron.

                  I hope I can find something about my grandparents birth dates and native
                  villages in the records. It'd would be great to find information about lost
                  relatives! I'll make it a point to have copies made, if a copy machine is
                  available.

                  Regards,

                  Florian

                  rmilliken@... writes:

                  > I usually offer a donation, but sometimes it was refused.
                  >
                  > You have the perfect situation, where you can carefully search the books
                  > and find cousins you didn't even know about. On a few occasions I had
                  > that situation, where the secretary would point me to a cabinet full of
                  > old books and tell me to go through them at my leisure. If you are
                  > lucky, they will photocopy the records you find. I would definitely
                  > offer to pay for the copies. It is very difficult to interpret the
                  > records right there on the spot. Village names could be written in
                  > Hungarian, and other information could be written in Latin or Slovak.
                  > If it is a Greek Catholic or Orthodox church, information could be in
                  > Cyrillic. It often takes me days of research to correctly decipher all
                  > the information in church records. But the beauty of ethnic church
                  > records is that they often include the name of the native village,
                  > nationality, religion, etc. of people, such as the parents.
                  >
                  > Ron Milliken
                  >
                  > FlorianCJr@... wrote:
                  >

                  > > Ron;
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for your reply.
                  > >
                  > > Is it customary to leave a donation of any kind with a church here in the
                  > > U.S.A. after researching their records?
                  > >
                  > > I have an appointment at St. Procops in Cleveland for next Saturday to go
                  > > through the records. The sister who cheerfully arranged the time said
                  > > I will
                  > > be able to take the records to the cafeteria to look through them, but
                  > > cannot
                  > > remove them. This is exactly what I want.
                  > >
                  > > Regards,
                  > >
                  > > Florian
                  > >
                  > > In a message dated 3/1/03 2:57:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  > > rmilliken@... writes:
                  > >

                  > > > I have researched many church records in the US. I have had no success
                  > > > when trying to request records via mail or telephone ... no success
                  > > > whatsoever, even when I send a donation. The secretaries are far too
                  > > > busy to respond to queries. However, my success rate is greater
                  > > than 50
                  > > > percent when I just show up at the church office during business hours.
                  > > > Often, I am allowed to go through the books myself. If you have a
                  > > > narrow time frame to search, the secretary or pastor will sometimes
                  > > > allow you to look over their shoulder while they turn the pages, as it
                  > > > should only take a few minutes. Sometimes I have been able to arrange
                  > > > a timeframe in advance, when the secretary would be the least busy.
                  > > >
                  > > > Perhaps others have had different experiences.
                  > > >
                  > > > Ron Milliken

                  > > manners when

                • Ron Milliken
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
                    The digital camera is a great suggestion. They can be set not to
                    produce a flash ... you really do not need flash, even if the light is
                    not great in the room. And the sound can be turned off, so it works
                    silently. Just remember to set it to macro mode.

                    One facility in Philadelphia would not allow me to use my digital
                    camera, because they had a rule against cameras in general. I told them
                    that my camera made no flash and produced no sound, but they still would
                    not allow it. The facility would have been glad to photocopy the pages,
                    except that the book was too old and fragile to put on a copy machine.

                    Ron Milliken