Re: [Slovak-World] Detective work for Helene

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003

      >Most americans would shun our forefathers, who bathed once a week and did
      >not use
      >deodorants and perfumed soaps, even though they worked very hard and sweat
      >profusely.

      And I still encounter people reeking of body odor in Europe; sometimes
      grubby, sometimes not but just sweaty. But you know what........perfumes,
      aftershaves, etc will set off my allergies in a hurry, make me miserable,
      and even lead to a migraine. I may wince at the body odors during my first
      few days in Europe, but the body odor never ever sets off my allergies.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Jan Lan
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
        At 11:09 AM 3/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
        >Most americans would shun our forefathers, who bathed once a week and did
        >not use
        >deodorants and perfumed soaps, even though they worked very hard and sweat
        >profusely.

        I can understand this where it is the norm for cultural or economic reasons
        but to carry the practice into our current society is pushing it. In the
        50's I worked in a lab with a young (late 20's) Displaced Person from
        Ukraine. It was almost impossible to work within a couple of feet of
        him. I've been around working people all my life and, yes we went down
        into the basement on Saturday nights to light off the hot water tank for
        our weekly bath, but we also washed up each day. By the way, if you ever
        forgot to turn off the hot water tank after bathing, you could get a very
        nasty surprise in the middle of the night. To my knowledge, there was no
        pressure relief valve on the tank.

        The men were not exempt from the sanitary practices described for the
        women. As has been said on this list in the past, men in Slovakia, even
        today, have an affinity for studying bushes (with their backs to the public
        of course). I even observed an elderly (sober) man in Levoca stop for a
        moment of contemplation between parked cars near the square. I guess the
        only rule for men in this area was you just didn't face into a stiff wind
        when you stopped for the "pause that refreshes."

        Janko

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Claudia Medvik
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
          Even new immigrants to the US sometimes, excuse the term, reek of garlic that seems to come right thru their very skin itself. And if I recall, one of the old timers interviewed in the Slovakian mountains claimed it was lucky to start the new year with eating several cloves of garlic. He was following age old wisdom. Herbal medicine today declares garlic as powerful in some ways as an antibiotic, for it does invade every part of the body right thru to the skin. General Grant of the Union Army wouldn't move his troops anywhere during the American Civil War without a sufficient supply of garlic. Smelly though the side effect is, you use what works!

          Even now some brands of vitamins peddle 'odor free' garlic to scent conscious Americans!

          Unfortunately for me I was raised in a garlic and onion free house (my mother had gall bladder problems and had to keep to a special diet) and now even the most modest amount of either eaten will give me unbearable indigestion. Perhaps I could have really used it, for I was chronically sick with strep throat and tonsillitis as a child and ingested more straight penicillin, in shots and liquid form, than most people do their whole lives. I can tell its smell and taste still. Who knows what a little garlic might have done to help, smell or no smell?

          >Most americans would shun our forefathers, who bathed once a week and did
          >not use
          >deodorants and perfumed soaps, even though they worked very hard and sweat
          >profusely.

          And I still encounter people reeking of body odor in Europe; sometimes
          grubby, sometimes not but just sweaty. But you know what........perfumes,
          aftershaves, etc will set off my allergies in a hurry, make me miserable,
          and even lead to a migraine. I may wince at the body odors during my first
          few days in Europe, but the body odor never ever sets off my allergies.

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • capt jack
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
            What a topic!!!!! and members of this list complained about current world affairs??????

            Jim

          • Ron Matviyak
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
              Our ancestors have had to live with this topic since Adam and Eve. You have
              a problem with it, Jack? It beats ugly political haranguing.

              I would like to thank everyone who is contributing, it is fascinating to
              discuss how people lived and adapted to the realities of life.

              One story from 1970, I was working with a Hungarian co-worker in Cleveland,
              one who got me to visit his family in Budapest on my first visit to
              Czechoslovakia. One day at lunch we were walking past a photographer's
              window and he stopped to point out a large photo of a couple in costume
              dancing, with the woman spinning and her skirt up in the air. Somehow the
              rear view of the twirling woman looked as if she had unusually long legs -
              then I realized she had no underpants. Perhaps the question belongs along
              side "What do Scotsmen wear under their kilts?"

              For all of the other contributions, they are great!

              > What a topic!!!!! and members of this list complained about current world
              affairs??????

              > Jim

            • Lowell H Brigham
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
                I thought that the question was, "What is worn beneath a Scotsman's kilts?"
                And, the answer is, "Nothing is worn beneath a Scotsman's kilt -
                everything works just fine !!"

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
                  "I would like to thank everyone who is contributing, it is fascinating to
                  discuss how people lived and adapted to the realities of life."

                  Well, if talking about poopy diapers and smelly people, and deficating in the field is what you find fascinating, to each his own. I personally dont think anyone on this list finds any of this "new info" we all know how it was, and can imagine the rest..

                  JIm

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
                    In a message dated 3/1/3 4:11:51 PM, senzus@... writes:

                    << It
                    angered me when people complained to me about the "smelly people".

                    I AGREE VILO - IT BOTHERS ME A LOT TOO.

                    They had no deodorants at the time and all worked very hard. The odor was an
                    honest indication of hard work.

                    WHAT IS INTERESTING IS DURING OUR TRAVELS THERE IN 1969 THRU THE 70S AND
                    EARLY 80S WE NOTICED THAT THE VILLAGE PEOPLE DIDN'T USE DEODORANT BUT ALSO
                    ODOR WASN'T PARTICULARLY NOTICEABLE - WE WONDERED IF EATING MAINLY NATURAL
                    FOODS WAS THE REASON FOR THIS.

                    SORRY IF THESE TOPIC OFFEND SOME PEOPLE BUT I AGREE WITH VILO - WE THINK WE
                    ARE SO CLEAN AND ANTISEPTIC BUT OUR LIVES SOME 50 - 70 YEARS AGO HERE IN THE
                    US WERE QUITE DIFFERENT FROM TODAY. MY PARENTS HAD AN OUTHOUSE IN THE FIRST
                    LITTLE HOME THEY LIVED IN WHEN I WAS BORN AND A FRANKLIN STOVE.

                    helene

                  • Andrea Vangor
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
                      I wonder if the village people you describe were wearing linen
                      underclothing. Unlike modern synthetics that trap everything and breed who
                      knows what bacteria, linen allows the skin to "breath" and wicks moisture
                      away from the body.

                      In the good old days, people did not bathe frequently, but they did WASH,
                      with a jug and basin. And so could we, if we had to.

                    • helenezx@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 1, 2003
                        In a message dated 3/1/3 5:29:10 PM, jmm@... writes:

                        << But you know what........perfumes,
                        aftershaves, etc will set off my allergies in a hurry, make me miserable,
                        and even lead to a migraine. I may wince at the body odors during my first
                        few days in Europe, but the body odor never ever sets off my allergies. >>

                        Julie - i agree 100%

                        would much rather have a natural odor than some of the modern perfumes which
                        have something in them that hangs in the air and makes me violently allergice
                        and gives a choking feeling.

                        Did you know that there was a group in san francisco that handed out cards -
                        initials were an abbreviation of something like Save Our Air Society - you
                        got them to give out to offenders. Some people just reek of perfume or
                        aftershave and the worst is stewardesses who bathe in it - in such a confined
                        space - it's awful.

                        i have difficulty walking down the soap aisle in the supermarket and duty
                        free shops make me wild - saves money since i can't stay in them long due to
                        the scents.

                        helene