Re: [Slovak-World] Non Slovak but interesting

  • Evonri@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2005
      Thanks for sharing those facts -- pretty interesting!

      Rita

    • Paul Wolsko
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2005
        David wrote:

        >Interesting & Amazing Facts - Geography.

        Here's another amazing fact:

        Centrailia's still burning. <g>

        Paul
      • David
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2005
          Centrailia is a town in PA. There is a coal fire under what was a town. The
          government paid everyone off but a few wouldn't except the buy-off and
          remain living in that town. When they die off, the state will take over
          what is left of the town, strip mine it and make a fortune. There is large
          amounts of coal still in the ground. The contractor will get millions of
          dollars to strip mine the area to put out the fire and he will sell all the
          remaining coal. Only in America.

          At 07:39 PM 7/6/2005, you wrote:
          >David wrote:
          >
          > >Interesting & Amazing Facts - Geography.
          > >

          >Here's another amazing fact:
          >
          >Centrailia's still burning. <g>
          >
          >Paul
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • LHBrigham
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2005
            David,

            I don't understand who or what you are complaining about (if you are
            complaining)? The Centrailia coal fire (according to at least one
            account) was started sometime around 1962 because some person(s) burned
            trash in a pit with an exposed coal seam. The trash burner(s) are
            clearly at fault but could not pay the penalties and cost of putting out
            the fire. Maybe they should have been put in jail?

            Our government (state or federal) apparently has helped the landowners
            by purchasing their endangered homes and moved them out. That is a
            typical governmental technique for limiting costs. If they don't live
            there, they can't be hurt there. They do the same think in flood prone
            areas like Wilkes-Barre.

            When everyone is gone - isn't it nice that the government has allowed
            those people to live out their lives in their old homes - the government
            can then step in with a remediation program. These programs are
            typically done by giving a contract to a private contractor. They could
            also do it by creating another governmental bureaucracy to do the job -
            I would not like that. The Supreme Court has just ruled that it is no
            longer necessary to operate with patience. The state could have moved
            in and forced the people out a long time ago.

            So in the end, a private company, hiring AND PAYING civilian workers,
            will clean it up using techniques and machines that may not have been
            available when the fire started. When it is completed, the fire (we
            hope) will be out, a lot of hard coal will have been recovered, a bunch
            of laborers will have made a living and some creative, hard working
            (with at-risk capital) manager will have made a few bucks for both the
            company AND FOR THE STOCKHOLDERS! Just think, you could be a
            stockholder and make a lot of money.

            Lowell