Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Tradicie slovenskej rodiny (Slovak FamilyTraditions)

  • Matchett
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
      What Helene wrote interested me and I looked back into my mother's
      memoirs:

      "My brothers were very often best men (druz~bas). They carried a
      s~abl'a (sword) at the head of the wedding procession. The best man
      carried the s~abl'a upright and the tip of the s~abl'a was decorated
      with ribbons, an apple on top of the ribbons and one sprig of rosemary
      on top of the apple. Also a scarf was attached under the ribbons.

      "The Godmother's son was rightfully the best man. If she didn't have a
      son, then anyone could be best man. My three brothers were often asked
      to be best man. Whatever was attached to the s~abl'a was given to the
      best man. I had lots of scarves from those weddings."

      Oh my, I never thought of the significance of it all and wish I had
      taken a greater interest when my mother was alive. She was from
      southwestern Slovakia, too. Julia Matchett

      On Saturday, March 1, 2003, at 01:21 AM, helenezx@... wrote:

      > A VILLAGE WEDDING (SOUTHWESTERN SLOVAKIA) HAS A YOUNG MAN CARRYING A
      > BRIDAL
      > FLAG - IN THIS CASE A LARGE TURKISH SHAWL ON A POLE - RIBBONS AT THE
      > TOP OF
      > THE POLE AND AN APPLE.
      >
      > THE APPLE WAS A SYMBOL OF VIRGINITY - DO YOU KNOW THE SONG "CERVENE
      > JABLCKO"
      > - AYOUNG GIRL GIVES A RED APPLE TO HER BELOVED - LATER SHE GAINS A SON
      > AND A
      > HEADACHE.
      >
      > SO THAT'S WHERE MY THEORY OF THE TURKISH SHAWL REPLACING THE MEDIEVAL
      > PARADING OF THE WEDDING BED SHEET
      >
      > helene

    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
        In Saudi Arabia, at the end of the wedding, the bride and groom go into the house
        to "consummate" the union.

        Later, the mother in law goes into the house and displays the bloody bedding from
        the balcony or window.

        Vilo

        helenezx@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 2/16/3 4:33:32 PM, jarmata@... writes:
        >

        > A VILLAGE WEDDING (SOUTHWESTERN SLOVAKIA) HAS A YOUNG MAN CARRYING A BRIDAL
        > FLAG - IN THIS CASE A LARGE TURKISH SHAWL ON A POLE - RIBBONS AT THE TOP OF
        > THE POLE AND AN APPLE.
        >
        > THE APPLE WAS A SYMBOL OF VIRGINITY - DO YOU KNOW THE SONG "CERVENE JABLCKO"
        > - AYOUNG GIRL GIVES A RED APPLE TO HER BELOVED - LATER SHE GAINS A SON AND A
        > HEADACHE.
        >
        > SO THAT'S WHERE MY THEORY OF THE TURKISH SHAWL REPLACING THE MEDIEVAL
        > PARADING OF THE WEDDING BED SHEET
        >
        > helene

      • capt jack
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2003
          We all could have done without that mental picture.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

          Jim