Re: [Slovak-World] Moravia

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3, 2005
      Time to get out the Kirschbaum and check this. I don't remember hearing anything about it before. What an intriguing idea, and a Magyar's worst Pan-Slavic nightmare: contiguous Slavic states on the territory of Greater Hungary.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3, 2005
        Andrea, My sourse for this info. is 'Historical Atlas of East
        Central Europe" by Paul Robert Magocsi. I quote from page 127,"The
        Treaty of Trianon also confirmed the cession of the Burgenland to
        Austria, which had already appeared as a clause in the earlier
        Treaty of Saint Germain.Austria had originally asked the Paris
        peacemakers to conduct a plebiscite in the area,but Czechoslovakia
        argued that the Burgenland should be divided between itself and
        Yugoslavia, and therefore serve as a corridor between the two
        new "Slavic" states.Czechoslovakia's request was rejectecd, however,
        and in the face of communist rule in Hungary, the peacemakers simply
        assigned the Burgenland to Austria."In my opinion, maybe if Croatia
        and Slovenia had joined with the Czechs and Slovaks INSTEAD of with
        the Serbs, some of the unfortunate ethnic conflict could havee been
        avoided.I also have information from a Russian emigre paper from
        South America about a White Russian officer,Vojcechovsky,later a
        General in the Czechoslovak Army.In 1938, he urged Benes to take on
        Hitler, but ,as we know, this didn't happen(Vojcechovsky retired,
        after WWII, the Sovits captured him and shipped him to the USSR,
        where he died in a prison camp in 1954,if anyone on this board wants
        to hear about it,I'll dig up the paper, and translate it into
        English.Just think, had Hitler been defeated in 1938, then there
        wouldn't have been a Holocast, and even if Slovakia had still
        seperated, the issue of Slovak Jews been sent to the camps wouldn't
        have existed. Fr. Andrei--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea
        Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:
        > Time to get out the Kirschbaum and check this. I don't remember
        hearing anything about it before. What an intriguing idea, and a
        Magyar's worst Pan-Slavic nightmare: contiguous Slavic states on
        the territory of Greater Hungary.

        7/1/2005

      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 3, 2005
          Dear Fr. Andrei,

          I'm sure several of us would be fascinated if you have the time to translate that article. On your first point, I'm confused -- was the idea of the Burgenland corridor first floated and rejected after World War I or II? The Treaty of Trianon dates to 1920 and the formation of Czechoslovakia, but Hungary did not have a communist government at that date, or so I would suppose.
          Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:
          > Time to get out the Kirschbaum and check this. I don't remember
          hearing anything about it before. What an intriguing idea, and a
          Magyar's worst Pan-Slavic nightmare: contiguous Slavic states on
          the territory of Greater Hungary.

          7/1/2005

        • andreialexiev
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 3, 2005
            Dear Andrea,Actually, there was the short-lived communist government
            of Bela Kun which came into power on March 21,1919,which proceeded
            to fight the Romanians in the east and attempt to regain Slovakia,
            where it briefly se t up a pro-Hungarian Soviet Republic at
            Presov/Eperjes in June,11919.However,the Kun government fell on Aug
            1st of that year. So maybe Magocsi did slip up when he speaks about
            communist rule in Hungary in 1920.--- In Slovak-
            World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:
            > Dear Fr. Andrei,
            >
            > I'm sure several of us would be fascinated if you have the time to
            translate that article. On your first point, I'm confused -- was
            the idea of the Burgenland corridor first floated and rejected after
            World War I or II? The Treaty of Trianon dates to 1920 and the
            formation of Czechoslovakia, but Hungary did not have a communist
            government at that date, or so I would suppose.

            Terms

            Date:
            > 7/1/2005

            of Service.

            -----------

            7/1/2005

          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 3, 2005
              Wow, that is one of the great lost stories of history. To tell the truth, I have only a hazy idea of what was going on in Slovakia at the end of World War I. Were there local uprisings against the Hungarian government? We mostly hear the story as told from events in Cleveland, wasn't it, where the new entity of Czechoslovakia was formed.
              Dear Andrea,Actually, there was the short-lived communist government
              of Bela Kun which came into power on March 21,1919,which proceeded
              to fight the Romanians in the east and attempt to regain Slovakia,
              where it briefly se t up a pro-Hungarian Soviet Republic at
              Presov/Eperjes in June,11919.However,the Kun government fell on Aug
              1st of that year. So maybe Magocsi did slip up when he speaks about
              communist rule in Hungary in 1920.--- In Slovak-
              World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:
              > Dear Fr. Andrei,
              >
              > I'm sure several of us would be fascinated if you have the time to
              translate that article. On your first point, I'm confused -- was
              the idea of the Burgenland corridor first floated and rejected after
              World War I or II? The Treaty of Trianon dates to 1920 and the
              formation of Czechoslovakia, but Hungary did not have a communist
              government at that date, or so I would suppose.

              Terms

              Date:
              > 7/1/2005

              of Service.

              -----------

              7/1/2005

            • amiak27
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 4, 2005
                It may or may not be in the Kirchbaum history, but it was one of many
                proposals leading to the final treaties. Austrian histories do
                recognize that eastern Austria was slavic as the Beier (read Bavarian
                today) moved in centuries before. Isn t it amaying how the slavs did
                not occupy the Hungarian lands, according totheir history?

                In all it makes me smile when the Hungarians complain about modern
                revisions of history that´,favor, the slavs, when their history has
                systimatically excluded reference to them. Times are changing and
                even the Hungarian histories are changing.

                If some of this message appears scrambled, I am typing on a German
                keyboard after spending a week in Slovakia and in Czechia. Had two
                great weeks and hopefully will cap it with another here. Heat is
                great, however!

                Ron

                wrote:
                > Time to get out the Kirschbaum and check this. I don't remember
                hearing anything about it before. What an intriguing idea, and a
                Magyar's worst Pan-Slavic nightmare: contiguous Slavic states on the
                territory of Greater Hungary.

                7/1/2005

              • Andrea Vangor
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 4, 2005
                  Please tell us about your trip when you recover from all the excitement! It's sad but true, what you were saying about the Hungarian attitude (Magyar, to be precise). I saw a billboard with a saying of Martin Luther King in Seattle one day that says it very well, even if he was not thinking of Hungary when he said it -- the principle is the same.

                  "You can't hold a man down unless you stay down with him." The Hungarian government was so afraid of its large ethnic minorities like the Slovaks, that it suppressed economic development in the country; if a fourth of the population of Upper Hungary -- mainly strong young men and families -- had not been forced to emigrate to find work, Hungary might have won the war a few years later, or had enough clout to prevent it.

                  I am very curious about the lost "islands" of Slovak culture in modern Hungary.

                  wrote:
                  > Time to get out the Kirschbaum and check this. I don't remember
                  hearing anything about it before. What an intriguing idea, and a
                  Magyar's worst Pan-Slavic nightmare: contiguous Slavic states on the
                  territory of Greater Hungary.

                  7/1/2005

                • Dr. Joe Q
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 4, 2005
                    Dear Fr. Andrei,

                    There is no correction only controversy. The Czech /
                    o / Slovakia "forced union" is well known. You have
                    brought up a not very well even agreed upon subject -
                    Silesia. A territory that cut across present day
                    Czech Republic, Germany, or Poland. Even those who
                    lived there made a distinction between Upper and Lower
                    Silesia.

                    Can provide us with some enlightenment?

                    Thank you.

                    Dr. "Q"

                    --- andreialexiev <Andrei424@...> wrote:

                    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that when the
                    > Czechoslovak
                    > state was founded,Moravia-Silesia was one of the
                    > four regions, the
                    > others being Bohemia,Slovakia, and Sub-Carpatian
                    > Rus'.It was also
                    > proposed that the new state have a common border
                    > with the other new
                    > Slavic state Yugoslavia.They were supposed to split
                    > the Austrian
                    > region of Burgenland between them, but nothing came
                    > of that proposal.

                    Yahoo! Sports
                    http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
                  • Andrea Vangor
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 4, 2005
                      Silesia was mostly lost to Prussia when Maria Theresa had to fight for her throne, yes?