Moravia

  • andreialexiev
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3, 2005
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that when the Czechoslovak
      state was founded,Moravia-Silesia was one of the four regions, the
      others being Bohemia,Slovakia, and Sub-Carpatian Rus'.It was also
      proposed that the new state have a common border with the other new
      Slavic state Yugoslavia.They were supposed to split the Austrian
      region of Burgenland between them, but nothing came of that proposal.
    • Andrea Vangor

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 3, 2005
          Andrea, My sourse for this info. is 'Historical Atlas of East
          Central Europe" by Paul Robert Magocsi. I quote from page 127,"The
          Treaty of Trianon also confirmed the cession of the Burgenland to
          Austria, which had already appeared as a clause in the earlier
          Treaty of Saint Germain.Austria had originally asked the Paris
          peacemakers to conduct a plebiscite in the area,but Czechoslovakia
          argued that the Burgenland should be divided between itself and
          Yugoslavia, and therefore serve as a corridor between the two
          new "Slavic" states.Czechoslovakia's request was rejectecd, however,
          and in the face of communist rule in Hungary, the peacemakers simply
          assigned the Burgenland to Austria."In my opinion, maybe if Croatia
          and Slovenia had joined with the Czechs and Slovaks INSTEAD of with
          the Serbs, some of the unfortunate ethnic conflict could havee been
          avoided.I also have information from a Russian emigre paper from
          South America about a White Russian officer,Vojcechovsky,later a
          General in the Czechoslovak Army.In 1938, he urged Benes to take on
          Hitler, but ,as we know, this didn't happen(Vojcechovsky retired,
          after WWII, the Sovits captured him and shipped him to the USSR,
          where he died in a prison camp in 1954,if anyone on this board wants
          to hear about it,I'll dig up the paper, and translate it into
          English.Just think, had Hitler been defeated in 1938, then there
          wouldn't have been a Holocast, and even if Slovakia had still
          seperated, the issue of Slovak Jews been sent to the camps wouldn't
          have existed. Fr. Andrei--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea
          Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:
          > Time to get out the Kirschbaum and check this. I don't remember
          hearing anything about it before. What an intriguing idea, and a
          Magyar's worst Pan-Slavic nightmare: contiguous Slavic states on
          the territory of Greater Hungary.

          7/1/2005

        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 3, 2005
            Dear Fr. Andrei,

            I'm sure several of us would be fascinated if you have the time to translate that article. On your first point, I'm confused -- was the idea of the Burgenland corridor first floated and rejected after World War I or II? The Treaty of Trianon dates to 1920 and the formation of Czechoslovakia, but Hungary did not have a communist government at that date, or so I would suppose.
            Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:
            > Time to get out the Kirschbaum and check this. I don't remember
            hearing anything about it before. What an intriguing idea, and a
            Magyar's worst Pan-Slavic nightmare: contiguous Slavic states on
            the territory of Greater Hungary.

            7/1/2005

          • andreialexiev
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 3, 2005
              Dear Andrea,Actually, there was the short-lived communist government
              of Bela Kun which came into power on March 21,1919,which proceeded
              to fight the Romanians in the east and attempt to regain Slovakia,
              where it briefly se t up a pro-Hungarian Soviet Republic at
              Presov/Eperjes in June,11919.However,the Kun government fell on Aug
              1st of that year. So maybe Magocsi did slip up when he speaks about
              communist rule in Hungary in 1920.--- In Slovak-
              World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:
              > Dear Fr. Andrei,
              >
              > I'm sure several of us would be fascinated if you have the time to
              translate that article. On your first point, I'm confused -- was
              the idea of the Burgenland corridor first floated and rejected after
              World War I or II? The Treaty of Trianon dates to 1920 and the
              formation of Czechoslovakia, but Hungary did not have a communist
              government at that date, or so I would suppose.

              Terms

              Date:
              > 7/1/2005

              of Service.

              -----------

              7/1/2005

            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 3, 2005
                Wow, that is one of the great lost stories of history. To tell the truth, I have only a hazy idea of what was going on in Slovakia at the end of World War I. Were there local uprisings against the Hungarian government? We mostly hear the story as told from events in Cleveland, wasn't it, where the new entity of Czechoslovakia was formed.
                Dear Andrea,Actually, there was the short-lived communist government
                of Bela Kun which came into power on March 21,1919,which proceeded
                to fight the Romanians in the east and attempt to regain Slovakia,
                where it briefly se t up a pro-Hungarian Soviet Republic at
                Presov/Eperjes in June,11919.However,the Kun government fell on Aug
                1st of that year. So maybe Magocsi did slip up when he speaks about
                communist rule in Hungary in 1920.--- In Slovak-
                World@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:
                > Dear Fr. Andrei,
                >
                > I'm sure several of us would be fascinated if you have the time to
                translate that article. On your first point, I'm confused -- was
                the idea of the Burgenland corridor first floated and rejected after
                World War I or II? The Treaty of Trianon dates to 1920 and the
                formation of Czechoslovakia, but Hungary did not have a communist
                government at that date, or so I would suppose.

                Terms

                Date:
                > 7/1/2005

                of Service.

                -----------

                7/1/2005

              • amiak27
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 4, 2005
                  It may or may not be in the Kirchbaum history, but it was one of many
                  proposals leading to the final treaties. Austrian histories do
                  recognize that eastern Austria was slavic as the Beier (read Bavarian
                  today) moved in centuries before. Isn t it amaying how the slavs did
                  not occupy the Hungarian lands, according totheir history?

                  In all it makes me smile when the Hungarians complain about modern
                  revisions of history that´,favor, the slavs, when their history has
                  systimatically excluded reference to them. Times are changing and
                  even the Hungarian histories are changing.

                  If some of this message appears scrambled, I am typing on a German
                  keyboard after spending a week in Slovakia and in Czechia. Had two
                  great weeks and hopefully will cap it with another here. Heat is
                  great, however!

                  Ron

                  wrote:
                  > Time to get out the Kirschbaum and check this. I don't remember
                  hearing anything about it before. What an intriguing idea, and a
                  Magyar's worst Pan-Slavic nightmare: contiguous Slavic states on the
                  territory of Greater Hungary.

                  7/1/2005

                • Andrea Vangor
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 4, 2005
                    Please tell us about your trip when you recover from all the excitement! It's sad but true, what you were saying about the Hungarian attitude (Magyar, to be precise). I saw a billboard with a saying of Martin Luther King in Seattle one day that says it very well, even if he was not thinking of Hungary when he said it -- the principle is the same.

                    "You can't hold a man down unless you stay down with him." The Hungarian government was so afraid of its large ethnic minorities like the Slovaks, that it suppressed economic development in the country; if a fourth of the population of Upper Hungary -- mainly strong young men and families -- had not been forced to emigrate to find work, Hungary might have won the war a few years later, or had enough clout to prevent it.

                    I am very curious about the lost "islands" of Slovak culture in modern Hungary.

                    wrote:
                    > Time to get out the Kirschbaum and check this. I don't remember
                    hearing anything about it before. What an intriguing idea, and a
                    Magyar's worst Pan-Slavic nightmare: contiguous Slavic states on the
                    territory of Greater Hungary.

                    7/1/2005

                  • Dr. Joe Q
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 4, 2005
                      Dear Fr. Andrei,

                      There is no correction only controversy. The Czech /
                      o / Slovakia "forced union" is well known. You have
                      brought up a not very well even agreed upon subject -
                      Silesia. A territory that cut across present day
                      Czech Republic, Germany, or Poland. Even those who
                      lived there made a distinction between Upper and Lower
                      Silesia.

                      Can provide us with some enlightenment?

                      Thank you.

                      Dr. "Q"

                      --- andreialexiev <Andrei424@...> wrote:

                      > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that when the
                      > Czechoslovak
                      > state was founded,Moravia-Silesia was one of the
                      > four regions, the
                      > others being Bohemia,Slovakia, and Sub-Carpatian
                      > Rus'.It was also
                      > proposed that the new state have a common border
                      > with the other new
                      > Slavic state Yugoslavia.They were supposed to split
                      > the Austrian
                      > region of Burgenland between them, but nothing came
                      > of that proposal.

                      Yahoo! Sports
                      http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
                    • Andrea Vangor
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 4, 2005
                        Silesia was mostly lost to Prussia when Maria Theresa had to fight for her throne, yes?