Re: [Slovak-World] Song 2

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
      Austria is full of Czechs who speak German. Czechia is full of Slovaks (Moravians) who speak Czech. It's very simple, like Ireland being full of Celts who speak a Germanic language (English).

      Or, to put it another way, a sprig off the branch of Western Slavs who speak some variant of Slovak, ended up in territory which was held by Austria. So Moravian dialects are often very close to western Slovak. In my mind it is one musical tradition, but their music is less influenced by Magyar elements and more by western European elements.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
        Ok, now I'm even more confused. Is not the Czech Republic made up of
        Bohemia and Moravia, or not?

        See you later,
        Haidee
        PicasGurl@...
      • Kathryn L. Turk
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
          Haidee,

          Yes, today Moravia is in the Eastern region of the Czech Republic. I was
          merely saying that in the past Czechs & Slovaks were part of the same
          country (Czechoslovakia). As a result, today Western Slovaks & Eastern
          Czechs have many similar dialects, customs, etc.

          Kat