[Slovak-World] Song 2

  • Kathryn L. Turk
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
      Yes, indeed! (Moravians = Western Slovaks from even FURTHER west.& also
      part of the former Czechoslovak Republic)! ;-)

      My husband, Ondrej Bizub, is from Spi�sk� Nov� Ves, where his family (my
      in-laws: parents, sister, & niece) still live. His last 9 years in
      Slovakia before immigrating here, he also lived & worked in Sabinov.

      Kat
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
        I thought Moravia was one of the Czech republics, along with Bohemia!
        I'm confused now.

        See you later,
        Haidee
        PicasGurl@...
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
          Austria is full of Czechs who speak German. Czechia is full of Slovaks (Moravians) who speak Czech. It's very simple, like Ireland being full of Celts who speak a Germanic language (English).

          Or, to put it another way, a sprig off the branch of Western Slavs who speak some variant of Slovak, ended up in territory which was held by Austria. So Moravian dialects are often very close to western Slovak. In my mind it is one musical tradition, but their music is less influenced by Magyar elements and more by western European elements.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
            Ok, now I'm even more confused. Is not the Czech Republic made up of
            Bohemia and Moravia, or not?

            See you later,
            Haidee
            PicasGurl@...
          • Kathryn L. Turk
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
              Haidee,

              Yes, today Moravia is in the Eastern region of the Czech Republic. I was
              merely saying that in the past Czechs & Slovaks were part of the same
              country (Czechoslovakia). As a result, today Western Slovaks & Eastern
              Czechs have many similar dialects, customs, etc.

              Kat