Re: [Slovak-World] Detective work for Helene

  • helenezx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28, 2003
      In a message dated 3/1/3 7:12:02 AM, amiak@... writes:

      << If you choose to accept the assignment, you are the only one I know who is
      qualified to accept it. If you refuse the assignement, destroy this e-mail
      and pretend it was never sent! RON - TOO FUNNY

      THANKS FOR SHARING THIS REALLY WEIRD ARTICLE

      I CAN TESTIFY THAT ONE VILLAGE WOMAN DIDN'T WEAR UNDERWEAR - WHEN WE VISITED
      SHE WAS SQUATTING IN THE GARDEN AND HOPPED UP TO GREET US.

      DON'T AGREE WITH THE CONCEPT BELOW BUT IT DOES GET PEOPLE TALKING AND SUPPOSE
      THAT IS A BENEFIT.

      helene

      _ _ _

      Young textile artist presents her concept of historical underwear

      Under Granny's skirt

    • Matchett
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1 2:18 AM
        I remember my mother saying when she was a child, a couple women in her
        town got mad at each other and one "mooned" the other! And yes, no
        underwear! (and I thought "mooning" was an American tradition!)
        Julia M.

        On Saturday, March 1, 2003, at 02:48 AM, helenezx@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 3/1/3 7:12:02 AM, amiak@... writes:
        >
        > << If you choose to accept the assignment, you are the only one I know
        > who is
        > qualified to accept it. If you refuse the assignement, destroy this
        > e-mail
        > and pretend it was never sent! RON - TOO FUNNY
        >
        > THANKS FOR SHARING THIS REALLY WEIRD ARTICLE
        >
        > I CAN TESTIFY THAT ONE VILLAGE WOMAN DIDN'T WEAR UNDERWEAR - WHEN WE
        > VISITED
        > SHE WAS SQUATTING IN THE GARDEN AND HOPPED UP TO GREET US.
        >
        > DON'T AGREE WITH THE CONCEPT BELOW BUT IT DOES GET PEOPLE TALKING AND
        > SUPPOSE
        > THAT IS A BENEFIT.
        >
        > helene
        >
        > _ _ _
        >

        > Young textile artist presents her concept of historical underwear
        >
        > Under Granny's skirt

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1 8:09 AM
          Many years ago I heard from my grandmother that the women wore no underwear.
          They were able to "modestly" urinate by stepping to the side of the walk or road,
          stand with legs apart, pull skirt front and rear and urinate.

          Clothing was a luxury in olden times. My grandparents told me that homes here
          didn't have big closets. Most had a "trunk room". Seasonal clothing was stored
          there.

          Most americans would shun our forefathers, who bathed once a week and did not use
          deodorants and perfumed soaps, even though they worked very hard and sweat
          profusely.

          In the early seventies, a trip on a train or bus gave memories of those days. It
          angered me when people complained to me about the "smelly people".

          They had no deodorants at the time and all worked very hard. The odor was an
          honest indication of hard work. My girlfriend couldn't understand why I wore a
          "T" shirt under my shirt. She thought it "un-manly".

          Vilo

          This might seem like a trivial discussion but it indicates just how our thoughts
          are trained to modern living.

          helenezx@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 3/1/3 7:12:02 AM, amiak@... writes:
          >
          > << If you choose to accept the assignment, you are the only one I know who is
          > qualified to accept it. If you refuse the assignement, destroy this e-mail
          > and pretend it was never sent! RON - TOO FUNNY
          >
          > THANKS FOR SHARING THIS REALLY WEIRD ARTICLE
          >
          > I CAN TESTIFY THAT ONE VILLAGE WOMAN DIDN'T WEAR UNDERWEAR - WHEN WE VISITED
          > SHE WAS SQUATTING IN THE GARDEN AND HOPPED UP TO GREET US.
          >
          > DON'T AGREE WITH THE CONCEPT BELOW BUT IT DOES GET PEOPLE TALKING AND SUPPOSE
          > THAT IS A BENEFIT.
          >
          > helene
          >
          > _ _ _

        • J. Michutka
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1 9:25 AM

            >Most americans would shun our forefathers, who bathed once a week and did
            >not use
            >deodorants and perfumed soaps, even though they worked very hard and sweat
            >profusely.

            And I still encounter people reeking of body odor in Europe; sometimes
            grubby, sometimes not but just sweaty. But you know what........perfumes,
            aftershaves, etc will set off my allergies in a hurry, make me miserable,
            and even lead to a migraine. I may wince at the body odors during my first
            few days in Europe, but the body odor never ever sets off my allergies.

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...
          • Jan Lan
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1 9:32 AM
              At 11:09 AM 3/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
              >Most americans would shun our forefathers, who bathed once a week and did
              >not use
              >deodorants and perfumed soaps, even though they worked very hard and sweat
              >profusely.

              I can understand this where it is the norm for cultural or economic reasons
              but to carry the practice into our current society is pushing it. In the
              50's I worked in a lab with a young (late 20's) Displaced Person from
              Ukraine. It was almost impossible to work within a couple of feet of
              him. I've been around working people all my life and, yes we went down
              into the basement on Saturday nights to light off the hot water tank for
              our weekly bath, but we also washed up each day. By the way, if you ever
              forgot to turn off the hot water tank after bathing, you could get a very
              nasty surprise in the middle of the night. To my knowledge, there was no
              pressure relief valve on the tank.

              The men were not exempt from the sanitary practices described for the
              women. As has been said on this list in the past, men in Slovakia, even
              today, have an affinity for studying bushes (with their backs to the public
              of course). I even observed an elderly (sober) man in Levoca stop for a
              moment of contemplation between parked cars near the square. I guess the
              only rule for men in this area was you just didn't face into a stiff wind
              when you stopped for the "pause that refreshes."

              Janko

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • Claudia Medvik
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1 10:37 AM
                Even new immigrants to the US sometimes, excuse the term, reek of garlic that seems to come right thru their very skin itself. And if I recall, one of the old timers interviewed in the Slovakian mountains claimed it was lucky to start the new year with eating several cloves of garlic. He was following age old wisdom. Herbal medicine today declares garlic as powerful in some ways as an antibiotic, for it does invade every part of the body right thru to the skin. General Grant of the Union Army wouldn't move his troops anywhere during the American Civil War without a sufficient supply of garlic. Smelly though the side effect is, you use what works!

                Even now some brands of vitamins peddle 'odor free' garlic to scent conscious Americans!

                Unfortunately for me I was raised in a garlic and onion free house (my mother had gall bladder problems and had to keep to a special diet) and now even the most modest amount of either eaten will give me unbearable indigestion. Perhaps I could have really used it, for I was chronically sick with strep throat and tonsillitis as a child and ingested more straight penicillin, in shots and liquid form, than most people do their whole lives. I can tell its smell and taste still. Who knows what a little garlic might have done to help, smell or no smell?

                >Most americans would shun our forefathers, who bathed once a week and did
                >not use
                >deodorants and perfumed soaps, even though they worked very hard and sweat
                >profusely.

                And I still encounter people reeking of body odor in Europe; sometimes
                grubby, sometimes not but just sweaty. But you know what........perfumes,
                aftershaves, etc will set off my allergies in a hurry, make me miserable,
                and even lead to a migraine. I may wince at the body odors during my first
                few days in Europe, but the body odor never ever sets off my allergies.

                Julie Michutka
                jmm@...

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • capt jack
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1 11:58 AM
                  What a topic!!!!! and members of this list complained about current world affairs??????

                  Jim

                • Ron Matviyak
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 1 12:19 PM
                    Our ancestors have had to live with this topic since Adam and Eve. You have
                    a problem with it, Jack? It beats ugly political haranguing.

                    I would like to thank everyone who is contributing, it is fascinating to
                    discuss how people lived and adapted to the realities of life.

                    One story from 1970, I was working with a Hungarian co-worker in Cleveland,
                    one who got me to visit his family in Budapest on my first visit to
                    Czechoslovakia. One day at lunch we were walking past a photographer's
                    window and he stopped to point out a large photo of a couple in costume
                    dancing, with the woman spinning and her skirt up in the air. Somehow the
                    rear view of the twirling woman looked as if she had unusually long legs -
                    then I realized she had no underpants. Perhaps the question belongs along
                    side "What do Scotsmen wear under their kilts?"

                    For all of the other contributions, they are great!

                    > What a topic!!!!! and members of this list complained about current world
                    affairs??????

                    > Jim

                  • Lowell H Brigham
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 1 12:26 PM
                      I thought that the question was, "What is worn beneath a Scotsman's kilts?"
                      And, the answer is, "Nothing is worn beneath a Scotsman's kilt -
                      everything works just fine !!"

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 1 2:48 PM
                        "I would like to thank everyone who is contributing, it is fascinating to
                        discuss how people lived and adapted to the realities of life."

                        Well, if talking about poopy diapers and smelly people, and deficating in the field is what you find fascinating, to each his own. I personally dont think anyone on this list finds any of this "new info" we all know how it was, and can imagine the rest..

                        JIm

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 1 10:44 PM
                          In a message dated 3/1/3 4:11:51 PM, senzus@... writes:

                          << It
                          angered me when people complained to me about the "smelly people".

                          I AGREE VILO - IT BOTHERS ME A LOT TOO.

                          They had no deodorants at the time and all worked very hard. The odor was an
                          honest indication of hard work.

                          WHAT IS INTERESTING IS DURING OUR TRAVELS THERE IN 1969 THRU THE 70S AND
                          EARLY 80S WE NOTICED THAT THE VILLAGE PEOPLE DIDN'T USE DEODORANT BUT ALSO
                          ODOR WASN'T PARTICULARLY NOTICEABLE - WE WONDERED IF EATING MAINLY NATURAL
                          FOODS WAS THE REASON FOR THIS.

                          SORRY IF THESE TOPIC OFFEND SOME PEOPLE BUT I AGREE WITH VILO - WE THINK WE
                          ARE SO CLEAN AND ANTISEPTIC BUT OUR LIVES SOME 50 - 70 YEARS AGO HERE IN THE
                          US WERE QUITE DIFFERENT FROM TODAY. MY PARENTS HAD AN OUTHOUSE IN THE FIRST
                          LITTLE HOME THEY LIVED IN WHEN I WAS BORN AND A FRANKLIN STOVE.

                          helene

                        • Andrea Vangor
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 1 10:55 PM
                            I wonder if the village people you describe were wearing linen
                            underclothing. Unlike modern synthetics that trap everything and breed who
                            knows what bacteria, linen allows the skin to "breath" and wicks moisture
                            away from the body.

                            In the good old days, people did not bathe frequently, but they did WASH,
                            with a jug and basin. And so could we, if we had to.

                          • helenezx@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 1 11:16 PM
                              In a message dated 3/1/3 5:29:10 PM, jmm@... writes:

                              << But you know what........perfumes,
                              aftershaves, etc will set off my allergies in a hurry, make me miserable,
                              and even lead to a migraine. I may wince at the body odors during my first
                              few days in Europe, but the body odor never ever sets off my allergies. >>

                              Julie - i agree 100%

                              would much rather have a natural odor than some of the modern perfumes which
                              have something in them that hangs in the air and makes me violently allergice
                              and gives a choking feeling.

                              Did you know that there was a group in san francisco that handed out cards -
                              initials were an abbreviation of something like Save Our Air Society - you
                              got them to give out to offenders. Some people just reek of perfume or
                              aftershave and the worst is stewardesses who bathe in it - in such a confined
                              space - it's awful.

                              i have difficulty walking down the soap aisle in the supermarket and duty
                              free shops make me wild - saves money since i can't stay in them long due to
                              the scents.

                              helene