Re: [Slovak-World] Song 2

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
      What part of Slovakia does your husband come from? The songs were sung on an album of selections from western Slovakia. Hey, Moravians are just Slovaks on the wrong side of the border, aren't they?
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
        Yes, indeed! (Moravians = Western Slovaks from even FURTHER west.& also
        part of the former Czechoslovak Republic)! ;-)

        My husband, Ondrej Bizub, is from Spi�sk� Nov� Ves, where his family (my
        in-laws: parents, sister, & niece) still live. His last 9 years in
        Slovakia before immigrating here, he also lived & worked in Sabinov.

        Kat

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
          I thought Moravia was one of the Czech republics, along with Bohemia!
          I'm confused now.

          See you later,
          Haidee
          PicasGurl@...
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
            Austria is full of Czechs who speak German. Czechia is full of Slovaks (Moravians) who speak Czech. It's very simple, like Ireland being full of Celts who speak a Germanic language (English).

            Or, to put it another way, a sprig off the branch of Western Slavs who speak some variant of Slovak, ended up in territory which was held by Austria. So Moravian dialects are often very close to western Slovak. In my mind it is one musical tradition, but their music is less influenced by Magyar elements and more by western European elements.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
              Ok, now I'm even more confused. Is not the Czech Republic made up of
              Bohemia and Moravia, or not?

              See you later,
              Haidee
              PicasGurl@...
            • Kathryn L. Turk
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
                Haidee,

                Yes, today Moravia is in the Eastern region of the Czech Republic. I was
                merely saying that in the past Czechs & Slovaks were part of the same
                country (Czechoslovakia). As a result, today Western Slovaks & Eastern
                Czechs have many similar dialects, customs, etc.

                Kat