[Slovak-World] Song 2

  • Kathryn L. Turk
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
      I read lyrics for both songs to my (Slovak) husband, & he said they're
      Moravian. He didn't recognize them as being Slovak & so didn't know much
      else about them. Hopefully, someone else will know more.

      Kat

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
          Yes, indeed! (Moravians = Western Slovaks from even FURTHER west.& also
          part of the former Czechoslovak Republic)! ;-)

          My husband, Ondrej Bizub, is from Spi�sk� Nov� Ves, where his family (my
          in-laws: parents, sister, & niece) still live. His last 9 years in
          Slovakia before immigrating here, he also lived & worked in Sabinov.

          Kat

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
            I thought Moravia was one of the Czech republics, along with Bohemia!
            I'm confused now.

            See you later,
            Haidee
            PicasGurl@...
          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
              Austria is full of Czechs who speak German. Czechia is full of Slovaks (Moravians) who speak Czech. It's very simple, like Ireland being full of Celts who speak a Germanic language (English).

              Or, to put it another way, a sprig off the branch of Western Slavs who speak some variant of Slovak, ended up in territory which was held by Austria. So Moravian dialects are often very close to western Slovak. In my mind it is one musical tradition, but their music is less influenced by Magyar elements and more by western European elements.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
                Ok, now I'm even more confused. Is not the Czech Republic made up of
                Bohemia and Moravia, or not?

                See you later,
                Haidee
                PicasGurl@...
              • Kathryn L. Turk
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
                  Haidee,

                  Yes, today Moravia is in the Eastern region of the Czech Republic. I was
                  merely saying that in the past Czechs & Slovaks were part of the same
                  country (Czechoslovakia). As a result, today Western Slovaks & Eastern
                  Czechs have many similar dialects, customs, etc.

                  Kat