Re: [Slovak-World] Song 2

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
      B. J., we need some kind of musical ethnography source to tell us where these songs come from. I guess that some so-called folk songs are really several centuries old; others were composed as popular tunes during the late 19th century and early 20th, and everything in between. Some are very local and others became popular all over Slovakia.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
        I read lyrics for both songs to my (Slovak) husband, & he said they're
        Moravian. He didn't recognize them as being Slovak & so didn't know much
        else about them. Hopefully, someone else will know more.

        Kat

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
            Yes, indeed! (Moravians = Western Slovaks from even FURTHER west.& also
            part of the former Czechoslovak Republic)! ;-)

            My husband, Ondrej Bizub, is from Spi�sk� Nov� Ves, where his family (my
            in-laws: parents, sister, & niece) still live. His last 9 years in
            Slovakia before immigrating here, he also lived & worked in Sabinov.

            Kat

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
              I thought Moravia was one of the Czech republics, along with Bohemia!
              I'm confused now.

              See you later,
              Haidee
              PicasGurl@...
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
                Austria is full of Czechs who speak German. Czechia is full of Slovaks (Moravians) who speak Czech. It's very simple, like Ireland being full of Celts who speak a Germanic language (English).

                Or, to put it another way, a sprig off the branch of Western Slavs who speak some variant of Slovak, ended up in territory which was held by Austria. So Moravian dialects are often very close to western Slovak. In my mind it is one musical tradition, but their music is less influenced by Magyar elements and more by western European elements.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
                  Ok, now I'm even more confused. Is not the Czech Republic made up of
                  Bohemia and Moravia, or not?

                  See you later,
                  Haidee
                  PicasGurl@...
                • Kathryn L. Turk
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
                    Haidee,

                    Yes, today Moravia is in the Eastern region of the Czech Republic. I was
                    merely saying that in the past Czechs & Slovaks were part of the same
                    country (Czechoslovakia). As a result, today Western Slovaks & Eastern
                    Czechs have many similar dialects, customs, etc.

                    Kat