Rev. Harris murdered

  • LHBrigham
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2005
      I have followed the comments about the murder of Rev. Harris and his
      daughter Sarah with interest because of his Slovak connection. Then
      today, I found the following story in the Binghamton Press &
      Sun-Bulletin (my home town paper). I will quote two sentences.

      "Buffalo Grove, ILL.
      Authorities in this north Chicago suburb are investigating the deaths of
      a former Binghamton pastor and his daughter whose bodies were found
      bound inside their charred home after a suspicious fire was extinguished."

      "Harris was the pastor at Ascension Lutheran Church on Clinton Street in
      Binghamton from 1979 until 1994. Sarah Harris was born in the
      Binghamton area."

      My grandfather and grandmother were charter members of Ascension
      Lutheran Church, one aunt was married there and funeral services for
      both grandfather and grandmother were held there. The church, founded
      in 1905, was originally named "The Ascension Slovak Evangelical
      Lutheran Church". Binghamton's Clinton Street area is noted for its
      Slovak, Czech, Polish and Russian neighborhoods.

      Furthermore, it was Rev. Harris who allowed me to look through the
      church's historic records to find that my grandmother was born in
      Myjava. From that small start, I found cousins still living in Myjava
      and met them while visiting Slovakia a few years ago.

      For the complete story plus a photo of Rev. Harris standing next to his
      church go to:
      http://www.pressconnects.com/today/news/stories/ne070205s175778.shtml

      Lowell
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2005
        I just got back from a long weekend away and started reading my email. I was horrified to read about Ivon and Sarah. I met Ivon some 20 years ago at the SAS language program in Bratislava. We kept in touch through Christmas cards for many years, although not for several years now. I met the rest of his family later that summer at the NJ Slovak festival. What a sweetheart of a man.

        Helen

        >>> LHBrigham@... 07/02/05 1:28 PM >>>
[...]

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS