Re: [Slovak-World] Songs, songs

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
      > A painted walnut.

      I understand it as you do, Joe: "a painted walnut tree." Images of
      objects painted by people, even gallows, are fairly common in SK folk
      songs.

      > Barvy nelutuval, barvy nelutuval.
      > He didn't regret (skimp on?) the paint.

      skimp on

      > Korej bylo treba, korej bylo treba.
      > ? (which it needed?)

      As you indicated.

      > Os~idila n`a a ja ju vi'ce,
      > She sowed it (them?), and I see? it.
      > Bude banovat s~tyri mjesi'c, s~tyri mjesi'ce.
      > She'll complain for four months, four months,

      She cheated on me, and I on her even more; vi'ce = viac(ej).
      She'll be sorry for four months.

      The repetitive preposition _nad_ in the remaining verses indicates
      that they were only "near" whatever village is mentioned (and already
      heard sounds from the next village after that one).

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
        You should hear these songs performed by two strong young male voices in close harmony, the first in a sentimental manner, the second with great brio, including whoops, stomps and hoots.
        I understand it as you do, Joe: "a painted walnut tree." Images of
        objects painted by people, even gallows, are fairly common in SK folk
        songs.

        > Barvy nelutuval, barvy nelutuval.
        > He didn't regret (skimp on?) the paint.

        skimp on

        > Korej bylo treba, korej bylo treba.
        > ? (which it needed?)

        As you indicated.

        > Os~idila n`a a ja ju vi'ce,
        > She sowed it (them?), and I see? it.
        > Bude banovat s~tyri mjesi'c, s~tyri mjesi'ce.
        > She'll complain for four months, four months,

        She cheated on me, and I on her even more; vi'ce = viac(ej).
        She'll be sorry for four months.

        The repetitive preposition _nad_ in the remaining verses indicates
        that they were only "near" whatever village is mentioned (and already
        heard sounds from the next village after that one).

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

      • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
          > > Os~idila n`a a ja ju vi'ce,
          > > She sowed it (them?), and I see? it.
          > > Bude banovat s~tyri mjesi'c, s~tyri mjesi'ce.
          > > She'll complain for four months, four months,

          So "n'a" is dialect for "ma" (me)?

          Joe
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
            And while we are on the subject, more or less, what about that painted walnut tree? Is it a painting on the wall of the barn, or a tree covered with paint? The English language has its limitations, too.

            Inquiring minds...

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 5, 2005
              "Banovac" doesn't mean to complain, it means to regret or rue.

              >>> drav@... 07/02/05 12:34 AM >>>
              You should hear these songs performed by two strong young male voices in close harmony, the first in a sentimental manner, the second with great brio, including whoops, stomps and hoots.
              I understand it as you do, Joe: "a painted walnut tree." Images of
              objects painted by people, even gallows, are fairly common in SK folk
              songs.

              > Barvy nelutuval, barvy nelutuval.
              > He didn't regret (skimp on?) the paint.

              skimp on

              > Korej bylo treba, korej bylo treba.
              > ? (which it needed?)

              As you indicated.

              > Os~idila n`a a ja ju vi'ce,
              > She sowed it (them?), and I see? it.
              > Bude banovat s~tyri mjesi'c, s~tyri mjesi'ce.
              > She'll complain for four months, four months,

              She cheated on me, and I on her even more; vi'ce = viac(ej).
              She'll be sorry for four months.

              The repetitive preposition _nad_ in the remaining verses indicates
              that they were only "near" whatever village is mentioned (and already
              heard sounds from the next village after that one).

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS