Re: [Slovak-World] Songs, songs

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hmmm. Thanks, thanks thanks to Joe. Now we have heard from the expert, it's time for the ignorant to chime in. I did find that the word "orech" means not only walnut, but also refers to the color brown. Probably in the good old days people used walnut shells as brown dye. So is the barn painted walnut brown, perhaps? Is something going on behind that walnut brown barn???
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
        Re the second song: galanka does mean girlfriend, and according to my dictionary it derives from the word "gallant". Perhaps originally from the French word? Amazing how many words get tossed around. Can this be a "furman" song? These are rather farflung places, aren't they?

        The trouble with folk songs is that people sing them in folk (dialect).
        *************
        Oj, z~ito, z~ito, oves, poha'nka,
        Hey, rye, wheat, buckwheat,
        Os~idila n~a moja gala'ka, moja gala'nka,
        My girlfriend? sowed it (them?).
        Os~idila n`a a ja ju vi'ce,
        She sowed it (them?), and I see? it. (is "vi'ce" dialect for
        I see?)
        Bude banovat s~tyri mjesi'c, s~tyri mjesi'ce.
        She'll complain for four months, four months,
        Es~te sme byli na Koric~any,
        We've been to Koric~any,
        Uz~ sme poc~uli Jarabic~any, s~eja, hoja, ja.
        We've heard the people from Jarabice?, s~eja, hoja, ja
        (nonsense words)
        Es~te sme byli nad Stary'm Brnem,
        We've been to Stare Brno,
        Uz~ sme poc~uli kohu'ta s krkem,
        We've heard a rooster with a croaking sound? s~eja, hoja, ja.
        Es~te sme byli nad Ores~any,
        We've been to Ores~any,
        Uz~ sme poc~uli, ej, Skalic~any,
        We've heard the people from Skalice, s~eja, hoja, ja.
        Es~te sme byli nad Staru' Turu',
        We've been to Stara Tura,
        Uz~ sme poc~uli jak hudci hudu',
        We've heard how the musicians play, s~eja, hoja ja.

      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
          > A painted walnut.

          I understand it as you do, Joe: "a painted walnut tree." Images of
          objects painted by people, even gallows, are fairly common in SK folk
          songs.

          > Barvy nelutuval, barvy nelutuval.
          > He didn't regret (skimp on?) the paint.

          skimp on

          > Korej bylo treba, korej bylo treba.
          > ? (which it needed?)

          As you indicated.

          > Os~idila n`a a ja ju vi'ce,
          > She sowed it (them?), and I see? it.
          > Bude banovat s~tyri mjesi'c, s~tyri mjesi'ce.
          > She'll complain for four months, four months,

          She cheated on me, and I on her even more; vi'ce = viac(ej).
          She'll be sorry for four months.

          The repetitive preposition _nad_ in the remaining verses indicates
          that they were only "near" whatever village is mentioned (and already
          heard sounds from the next village after that one).

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
            You should hear these songs performed by two strong young male voices in close harmony, the first in a sentimental manner, the second with great brio, including whoops, stomps and hoots.
            I understand it as you do, Joe: "a painted walnut tree." Images of
            objects painted by people, even gallows, are fairly common in SK folk
            songs.

            > Barvy nelutuval, barvy nelutuval.
            > He didn't regret (skimp on?) the paint.

            skimp on

            > Korej bylo treba, korej bylo treba.
            > ? (which it needed?)

            As you indicated.

            > Os~idila n`a a ja ju vi'ce,
            > She sowed it (them?), and I see? it.
            > Bude banovat s~tyri mjesi'c, s~tyri mjesi'ce.
            > She'll complain for four months, four months,

            She cheated on me, and I on her even more; vi'ce = viac(ej).
            She'll be sorry for four months.

            The repetitive preposition _nad_ in the remaining verses indicates
            that they were only "near" whatever village is mentioned (and already
            heard sounds from the next village after that one).

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

          • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
              > > Os~idila n`a a ja ju vi'ce,
              > > She sowed it (them?), and I see? it.
              > > Bude banovat s~tyri mjesi'c, s~tyri mjesi'ce.
              > > She'll complain for four months, four months,

              So "n'a" is dialect for "ma" (me)?

              Joe
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                And while we are on the subject, more or less, what about that painted walnut tree? Is it a painting on the wall of the barn, or a tree covered with paint? The English language has its limitations, too.

                Inquiring minds...

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 5, 2005
                  "Banovac" doesn't mean to complain, it means to regret or rue.

                  >>> drav@... 07/02/05 12:34 AM >>>
                  You should hear these songs performed by two strong young male voices in close harmony, the first in a sentimental manner, the second with great brio, including whoops, stomps and hoots.
                  I understand it as you do, Joe: "a painted walnut tree." Images of
                  objects painted by people, even gallows, are fairly common in SK folk
                  songs.

                  > Barvy nelutuval, barvy nelutuval.
                  > He didn't regret (skimp on?) the paint.

                  skimp on

                  > Korej bylo treba, korej bylo treba.
                  > ? (which it needed?)

                  As you indicated.

                  > Os~idila n`a a ja ju vi'ce,
                  > She sowed it (them?), and I see? it.
                  > Bude banovat s~tyri mjesi'c, s~tyri mjesi'ce.
                  > She'll complain for four months, four months,

                  She cheated on me, and I on her even more; vi'ce = viac(ej).
                  She'll be sorry for four months.

                  The repetitive preposition _nad_ in the remaining verses indicates
                  that they were only "near" whatever village is mentioned (and already
                  heard sounds from the next village after that one).

                  Martin

                  votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS