Song 2

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2005
      Oj, z~ito, z~ito, oves, poha'nka,

      Os~idila n~a moja gala'ka, moja gala'nka,

      Os~idila n`a a ja ju vi'ce,

      Bude banovat s~tyri mjesi'c, s~tyri mjesi'ce.

      Es~te sme byli na Koric~any,

      Uz~ sme poc~uli Jarabic~any, s~eja, hoja, ja.

      Es~te sme byli nad Stary'm Brnem,

      Uz~ sme poc~uli kohu'ta s krkem,

      s~eja, hoja, ja.

      Es~te sme byli nad Ores~any,

      Uz~ sme poc~uli, ej, Skalic~any,

      S~eja, hoja, ja.

      Es~te sme byli nad Staru' Turu',

      Uz~ sme poc~uli jak hudci hudu',

      S~eja, hoja ja.

    • BJLK@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
        In a message dated 6/30/2005 9:10:15 P.M. Central Daylight Time, drav@...
        writes:

        Oj, z~ito, z~ito, oves, poha'nka,

        Os~idila n~a moja gala'ka, moja gala'nka,

        I would be interested in knowing more about this song and its origins
        because my father was born in Stara Tura.

        Thanks,

        B. J.

      • Andrea Vangor

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
            I read lyrics for both songs to my (Slovak) husband, & he said they're
            Moravian. He didn't recognize them as being Slovak & so didn't know much
            else about them. Hopefully, someone else will know more.

            Kat

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
                Yes, indeed! (Moravians = Western Slovaks from even FURTHER west.& also
                part of the former Czechoslovak Republic)! ;-)

                My husband, Ondrej Bizub, is from Spi�sk� Nov� Ves, where his family (my
                in-laws: parents, sister, & niece) still live. His last 9 years in
                Slovakia before immigrating here, he also lived & worked in Sabinov.

                Kat

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
                  I thought Moravia was one of the Czech republics, along with Bohemia!
                  I'm confused now.

                  See you later,
                  Haidee
                  PicasGurl@...
                • Andrea Vangor
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
                    Austria is full of Czechs who speak German. Czechia is full of Slovaks (Moravians) who speak Czech. It's very simple, like Ireland being full of Celts who speak a Germanic language (English).

                    Or, to put it another way, a sprig off the branch of Western Slavs who speak some variant of Slovak, ended up in territory which was held by Austria. So Moravian dialects are often very close to western Slovak. In my mind it is one musical tradition, but their music is less influenced by Magyar elements and more by western European elements.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
                      Ok, now I'm even more confused. Is not the Czech Republic made up of
                      Bohemia and Moravia, or not?

                      See you later,
                      Haidee
                      PicasGurl@...
                    • Kathryn L. Turk
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 2, 2005
                        Haidee,

                        Yes, today Moravia is in the Eastern region of the Czech Republic. I was
                        merely saying that in the past Czechs & Slovaks were part of the same
                        country (Czechoslovakia). As a result, today Western Slovaks & Eastern
                        Czechs have many similar dialects, customs, etc.

                        Kat